More weight on feet needed. But how to do so?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, the trick is to remove as much weight from area above the waist (IE, p-weight and steel plate) and move it as far down on your rig as possible.

But, he said his P-weight is below the bottom of his BP.

P weight is as low as possible, it is even lower then Backplate's end. P weight goes down to my tailbone.

Won't your suggestion of a V-weight result in weight moving up, not down? When I run a V-weight, it is in the middle of the BP.

But, he said his P-weight is below the bottom of his BP.

Won't your suggestion of a V-weight result in weight moving up, not down? When I run a V-weight, it is in the middle of the BP.
Just for clarity. In my head/what I use:
P-weight -> Plate weight. Sits in the groove of the backplate. Attaches between bolts on a set of doubles. Sits approximately over/on the lower side of lungs.
v-weight -> V shaped weight, sits on the lower bolt between tanks on your doubles. As you can get more weight to the bottom end of the tanks, it will move weight as far down as you can have it. As there is room for more lead between tanks, than in the groove of the plate, you can get more weight, lower down and then use lower weight materials higher up over the lungs.

Just for clarity. In my head/what I use:
P-weight -> Plate weight. Sits in the groove of the backplate. Attaches between bolts on a set of doubles. Sits approximately over/on the lower side of lungs.
v-weight -> V shaped weight, sits on the lower bolt between tanks on your doubles. As you can get more weight to the bottom end of the tanks, it will move weight as far down as you can have it. As there is room for more lead between tanks, than in the groove of the plate, you can get more weight, lower down and then use lower weight materials higher up over the lungs.

Regardless of terminology, he said the weight he's using is low - below the bottom of his back plate.

Also, this is what I use for a V-weight (when I need one).

That sits between the bolts of the back plate, in the V of the tanks, between the tanks and BP. It sits right where you describe a P weight, except under the BP instead of on top of it.

Anyway, P or V doesn't matter. He said the weight he using is low - lower than the bottom of his BP. So, it is unclear if you are suggesting something specific that would sit even lower than what he already is using.

BP Blei.jpg

A v-weight would bring lead higher up, I think this does not help.
Alu plate: I need the weight of ss plate. If I switch to alu I will need additional lead but where do I put it?
I was diving minium weight, as I always do. I had not to much air in my feed.
During test I did not use the wing at all, it was empty. My buoyancy all over was perfect, little air in drysuit, rebreather at min. volume, I was perfectly neutral. But trimm was lousy.
I can not slide tanks down anymore.
OC my trimm is perfect. Adding the SM Liberty pushes my head down and feet up. Strange.
Attaching lead to the fins is ultimate solution, I really don't like that.
I made a new test dive, lead soles in my dry suit. They are about 2x450 grams. They helped more than I tought but did not solve all of my problem, head still goes down.
Next I will do: add 1+1 kg at cylinders bottom and take away 2 kg v-weight at the top.
My fins are heavy, perhaps there are even heavier ones? I will start a new thread for this.

Thank you for all the good ideas.

You could take a class with a competent instructor.
Berndo for any reason you don't like me, that's perfectly OK, I don't care. But could you please stopp boarding every thread I start? If you have nothing to say just say nothing. Thank you.

I know of several persons that bungee lead on their crotch strap. I had 5lbs like this when experimenting with double 40s and the backwinder.

I have an aversion to adding mass anywhere on my legs (especially my feet). Every gram off mass down there has to be accelerated and decelerated with every kick causing loss of efficiency and added fatigue.

I know of several persons that bungee lead on their crotch strap. I had 5lbs like this when experimenting with double 40s and the backwinder.

I have an aversion to adding mass anywhere on my legs (especially my feet). Every gram off mass down there has to be accelerated and decelerated with every kick causing loss of efficiency and added fatigue.
Yes I hate lead on my feet for exactly that reason.
Crotch strap sounds goog, I will try.

I know the BerTec weight and don't like it very much. It is not well attached and dangels around. But if my test shows a v-weight in a low position is the solution then I will perhaps produce a v-weight by myself.

Don't know what you make wrong with the Bertec. It doesn't dangle. The quality of the Bertec stuff is very high.

Back
Top Bottom