More weight on feet needed. But how to do so?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agro

Contributor
Reaction score
Until now I dived the Liberty SM with SM Bailout. SMS 100 wing, weight on my back, everything was perfect. Now I want to add a new config: Backmounted Bailout, SM CCR. I thought this was easy: BM config (d12, Wing, BP, P-weight) and the rebreather SM (like a Stage). So far so good but my feet are far to light. My head goes down as a stone, feet up as a ballon.

Buoyancy all over is OK but trimm is lousy. I need more weight at my feet, less weigh towards head. But I don't know how to get to this point.

P weight is as low as possible, it is even lower then Backplate's end. P weight goes down to my tailbone.
BP is steel.
Fins are heavy tek fins.

Today I will get soles made out of lead and rubber. You put them into dryboots. Hopefully they fit into boots. If they do they will help a little bit but this few gramms will not solve all of the problem.

What else can I do?

Never ever had this problem. I was surprised. OC config is perfect. SM rebreather seems to be neutral. Obviously it is not, strange. Anyway problem exists and I have no solution.

Thanks for your help.

Today I will get soles made out of lead and rubber. You put them into dryboots. Hopefully they fit into boots. If they do they will help a little bit but this few gramms will not solve all of the problem.
What’s next, ankle weights and lead strips attached to the rails of the fin?

What @Imla said. The stock Lib is fairly trim.

Other than working with a good instructor you may want to go counterintuitive and see what happened if you move weight higher rather than lower. In a dry suit you may be unknowingly tilting air to your feet to counter the low weight, just a thought and easier to try than lead lined boots.

Try to ditch the p-weight, get a vweight and switch to an alu plate. (Had the same issue on mye GUE Rebreather.

regardless of this post (which I will not comment on), can you please explain how you're using a V-weight on GUE CCR?

Matan.

Take a look at you harness. I found in my personal case and in the case of many others with the same issue, slight adjustements to the harness can be a benefit. Or if you're able to, slide your tanks down some. But I was pretty shocked when I complained to an instructor about feeling foot light how a small adjustment to my harness helped tremendously.

I would probably try to get my trim sorted without the SM CCR, and then add the CCR.
You can move wing up and keep the tanks on the lowest hole in the BP (if you aren't already).

I've tried a variety of wings with my doubles. In a drysuit, I have to use the most negatively buoyant fins I own (Hollis F1) to keep my feet from being floaty.

But, even with my heavy fins, some wings I have tried still required a tail weight to keep my feet from floating up. Other wings are a different shape, so they distribute the lift differently. I have Dive Rite and OMS wings that work well for me. No tail weight required and no feet floating up.

I don't like using a tail weight anyway. In double steels I am generally over weighted, even with a light weight BP and no lead. Adding a tail weight for trim just means I'm even more grossly over weighted.

What wing are you using? You might need one with a shape that works better for you.

regardless of this post (which I will not comment on), can you please explain how you're using a V-weight on GUE CCR?

Matan.
I dont. But I did take 3 kg and strip to the bottom part of the stand closes to the back.
However... I'm a girl, with more "buoyancy" in the hip area. I have had to deal with top heaviness in every configuration. I dive both a GUEJJ and standard Doubles in a dry-suit. So, the trick is to remove as much weight from area above the waist (IE, p-weight and steel plate) and move it as far down on your rig as possible. If he uses standard doubles, that would entail getting a v-weight as far down on the doubles as possible, and at least here in Norway avg weights for P-weights are 2,5kg and v-weights are around 4,5kg. So, switching a pweight and steel plate for a v-weight and an alu plate would get your center of mass lower and would offset the top heaviness that follows with iso-manifolds and regs.
But you are absolutely correct, I am not using a v-weight on my GUE CCR. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom