Question CCR, SM diving, and proper weighting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you response is a tad patronising- lets start with removing the word 'recklessly' nobody deliberately puts themselves in a life or death situation but sometimes things go wrong and it happens, and if it does you need a plan and that plan as a last resort may involve removing a unit.

I know people that have had to abandon their OC gear to escape an entanglement using a ccr doesnt make you immune from it.

Wouldn't you rather try it out in a controlled situation to see what it entails rather than find yourself in that situation and not know?

I'm not trying to be condescending when I ask this: Did your friends learn anything after abandoning their OC gear?

thinking mostly from situation where you got entangled in wreck ( net, wires etc) than a tight cave, where you couldnt free yourself and your buddy is unable to assist (or if your solo)
In almost every case you'll separate from your unit, either you float up or it floats up (or vice versa it sinks). If you decide to try this at all, I recommend the shallow end of a pool at first, remember to exhale if/when it floods and you stand up. You can get an AGE in standing depth water. I don't think removing your unit is an effort worth attempting compared to more methodically untangling yourself, perhaps after waiting for the silt to settle so you can see the entanglement. Or removing a glove to try and feel the problem better.

I'm not trying to be condescending when I ask this: Did your friends learn anything after abandoning their OC gear?
There are two different scenarios. Theyre long stories but to keep it simple one was unable to get through a hole and was running out of air, so he dumped his twinset and made a free ascent to the surface blowing off some deco to make it worse. The other was entangled on his back and couldnt free himself. ( he had a stage with him which saved him)

I do know one of them dialled his diving back quite a bit after that.

No doubt there were a series of events that lead them to finding themselves in this position and if I had point my finger it would be poor decisions made leading up to that point. They recognise that now but at the time they missed the flags leading up to it

My take on it is dont get yourself so deep in that you run out of options, removing your gear creates another set of problems and is an abslolute last resort to drowning

In almost every case you'll separate from your unit, either you float up or it floats up (or vice versa it sinks). If you decide to try this at all, I recommend the shallow end of a pool at first, remember to exhale if/when it floods and you stand up. You can get an AGE in standing depth water. I don't think removing your unit is an effort worth attempting compared to more methodically untangling yourself, perhaps after waiting for the silt to settle so you can see the entanglement. Or removing a glove to try and feel the problem better.
your probably right and with the advantage of time on a ccr waiting for help/assistance may be the best option

your probably right and with the advantage of time on a ccr waiting for help/assistance may be the best option

The better option is avoidance - don't get yourself into that mess to begin with. Your buddy that had to find a different exit may have benefitted from a guideline.

I've heard of one case of a couple of rebreather divers that got lost in a wreck and managed to get rescued by another team. They didn't run a line, but the rebreathers gave them the time to survive while another team ran a reel in to them. But the rebreather may not always help, I've also heard of a case where a guy got hopelessly entangled and his dive buddy packed up the car and went home.

The Choptima is basically neutral. Positive with full CLs. Negative if you squeeze as much gas out as you can.

IIRC, we did a doff/don during my crossover. No big deal, when the unit is neutral.

The Choptima is basically neutral. Positive with full CLs. Negative if you squeeze as much gas out as you can.

IIRC, we did a doff/don during my crossover. No big deal, when the unit is neutral.
@lermontov dives a Revo, it's going to sink, and they are going up. That said I do know someone who had/has a Revo they can flip over their head to take it off in a cave. I'm not sure his SB name or if he has ever been pinned to a ceiling or how it actually works in reality.

I'm sure you can remove a sidekick and related SM units without separating from them too. There are still more fatalities from removing a unit and creating more issues than you solved than magically extricating from an entanglement.

The better option is avoidance - don't get yourself into that mess to begin with. Your buddy that had to find a different exit may have benefitted from a guideline.

I've heard of one case of a couple of rebreather divers that got lost in a wreck and managed to get rescued by another team. They didn't run a line, but the rebreathers gave them the time to survive while another team ran a reel in to them. But the rebreather may not always help, I've also heard of a case where a guy got hopelessly entangled and his dive buddy packed up the car and went home.

Packed up the car and left?! Wow, that’s horrible.

@lermontov dives a Revo, it's going to sink, and they are going up. That said I do know someone who had/has a Revo they can flip over their head to take it off in a cave. I'm not sure his SB name or if he has ever been pinned to a ceiling or how it actually works in reality.

I'm sure you can remove a sidekick and related SM units without separating from them too. There are still more fatalities from removing a unit and creating more issues than you solved than magically extricating from an entanglement.

I’ve never removed my CCR underwater but have seen it done in front of me. No stars, would not recommend.

Packed up the car and left?! Wow, that’s horrible.

Well, was packing up to leave. Part of the police report is here:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom