Question CCR, SM diving, and proper weighting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I prefer that old method without flooding my unit.

Question though..

If you have a MCCR with hardwired handset and you flood the unit will the water get in to the computer through the cable?

I think I prefer that old method without flooding my unit.

Question though..

If you have a MCCR with hardwired handset and you flood the unit will the water get in to the computer through the cable?

Not on a Fathom.

Thanks for all the input. As I stated in the OP, this was more of a curiosity question. Cost is a factor, but not a huge one. I dive solo occasionally these days, but not as often. I absolutely woud never dive solo where sudden blackout was a possibility. I was kind of interested in a open discussion about it, and not the breathless reviews of some YouTube marketing. My back has a few years left in it (I hope) and I am a huge fan of OC because you can't be stupid simple when discussing reliability. Someday I expect CCRs will become modularized and reliable to the point where most serious recreational divers will switch over and you'll be able to rent them at resorts. Obviously not quite there, yet. The bubbleless dive experience would be really cool. I have a double hose for that, but they come with their own limitations.

I'll chime in with my two cents just to see what people say because I don't really know anything to comment. I'm on Day 3 of Mod 1 training here at Protec which is where Jake is from, and I'm training with Skanda.

Day 1 was theory but Day 2 we were in the water and I was having some buoyancy issues as we were playing in 4 - 6 M of water. No weight and I don't use any when I'm OC. 3mil really compressed wetsuit and I couldn't just use my counterlung, so I needed to use my wing a bit. Purging about 50 bar from both dil tanks seemed to help

Today I used a 7mil wetsuit, tanks were about 130 bar, and buoyancy was largely better, mostly counterlung, depth was about 11M.

To be clear, we have not been formally advised to flood the system if we have a problem so I can't really comment on that.

My first thoughts as a total beginner are mixed. I'm frustrated but it's because I'm facing issues I didn't have with OC, learning curve, I feel I should be better than I am, and it's hard for me to work out buoyancy as well as my trim while stopped and trying to hover is not good.

I have a dry suit coming when I get back from training, that I think will help but yeah rebreather buoyancy is throwing me for a . . . loop ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom