Wing shape & Bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where in MI?
Single tank or doubles?
I have a dozen or so wings here that you would be welcome to take diving and see what you like before you purchase a new one.

Where in MI?
Single tank or doubles?
I have a dozen or so wings here that you would be welcome to take diving and see what you like before you purchase a new one.
@Tracy Thanks for the offer. I’m looking for single tank wing and I’m from Midland…. I’ll keep your offer and look into some diving with you in the spring.

Anyone have any opinions on the Hog 32# 360 Black Wing w/Bungee Loops and the similar DR 35# Voyager Wing.

I don’t have dive experience with BCD’s that require a STA, so I‘m hesitant to seriously consider DR wings that require a STA. I don’t see any significant advanges for using a STA. If I’m missing sometime, please enlighten me.

Thanks for all the great input!

Anyone have any opinions on the Hog 32# 360 Black Wing w/Bungee Loops and the similar DR 35# Voyager Wing.

I don’t have dive experience with BCD’s that require a STA, so I‘m hesitant to seriously consider DR wings that require a STA. I don’t see any significant advanges for using a STA. If I’m missing sometime, please enlighten me.

Thanks for all the great input!
I have a voyager on hand. I dive it with a weighted STA as that coupled with a steel tank means I don't need any lead. It is a good quality wing.
In single tanks with an integrated STA, I like the Subgravity one. I had one of the OMS ones and wasn't a huge fan.

My son has the HOG 32# wing (and I have the DGX wing as mentioned previously). The wing is good and seems well made. The outer fabric on the HOG doesn't seem as abrasion resistant as the DGX wing, but I haven't had a problem with either (but only had them 6 months). The HOG has an option for the inflator hose shoulder pull dump (seen in the picture) that the DGX doesn't, but you can get it without if you're concerned about the extra point of failure.

Neither wing needs an STA. We've chosen to have them anyway because of the added weight and convenience when swapping tanks.

The HOG wing is significantly wider (it's on the right). Even with the bungees on the wing (his has them removed) it's still not as streamlined as the DGX.

Note - please don't turn this into a thread about bungee vs no bungee on the wing. I'm well aware of the issues.

IMG_1722.jpg

The Mares XR wing at DGX looks like a good option. Anyone have any experience or info on this wing?
I own the DGX Gears S1 30 and Mares XR 22 wings, both are well made and good performers.

I believe the Gears S1 is made for Dive Gear Express by Oxycheq, if it matters. The XR 22 construction seems slightly more robust, while the DGX feels lighter despite being a little larger. The XR positions me lower in the water when surfacing, which I sometimes find less desirable in choppy conditions, but otherwise works great.

If you are planning to thread the tank bands through the backplate vs STA, then make sure the slots align properly with the wing you select, or that the slots on the wing are long enough to accommodate any variations between manufacturers.

Overall, I prefer the DGX for its versatility, thoughtful design, and higher capacity; not to mention also being a better value.

Hope this is helpful!

Mares vs DGX.jpg

Thanks for pics! I see you are using STAs on both wings. Needed or just preferred?
Both wings are designed so you don't necessarily need an STA, but they also do not restrict using one. I prefer to thread the bands through the backplate, but use an STA anyway just because it feels more connected and secure. Regardless, the DGX is a good design and fits a range of configuration situations. It also comes with a nice hose and a single dump. The XR stuff is solid as well, but the DGX better suits the needs of my current rig and I've been very happy with it.

Does anyone know of a soft backplate similar to the Mares that would fit the DGX30 wing?
I'm trying to avoid the DGX Softpack harness system for a more DIR style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom