Trident Super Grip spring straps won't stay on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I lost an Apollo split fin in the surf the other week, and my replacement fins are in, along with new spring straps. My old fins had the Innovative Scuba Concepts Pro Diver spring straps, which are spring straps that have a secure screw in over the fin post on the Apollo fins. I got the Trident Super Grip spring straps for my new fins, which have a similar attachment mechanism with screws to secure into place around the post. The only problem is the fitting isn't nearly as secure as my previous one, and one side of a spring strap has already popped off the fin post, even with the screw to hold it into place. Kind of a crappy design and implementation

Has anyone else had a problem with these fins straps, and if so, how did you solve it? Just live with it? Get a different spring strap? I'm thinking about putting something over either the fin post or screw to hold it in place more securely, but thought I'd ask here before spending too much time on it.

Have you considered just going with the Apollo strap and installing it as they recommend...
I looked at those with my first pair (that is no longer a pair) and felt queasy about taking a dremel to my nice fins. I really liked my old spring straps, and they were easy to pull apart (unscrew) so I could replace the spring or rubber heel piece if I wanted or needed.

I think I might be able to put a little plastic tubular anchors around the screw, like those that hold screws into concrete.

I've got the same Trident spring straps on my Mares Quattro fins, and noticed the same concern with them as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom