Travel Diving Bag Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barghy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Setting off on 12th November to become a diving instructor as part of a year out before university.

Currently im a bit stuck as to which bag to buy... I need a bag that is going to be able to carry all my diving equipment but that will also be robust for the beating it will take through baggage handling at the airport. I am also wary of the weight limit and most of the 'roller' bags seem to be 25% of this limit.

I was looking at a cressi gorilla bag but i think that this may lead to some of my equipment getting damaged.

Just looking for some guidance/recommendation from the wise diving gurus on here!

Thanks,
Alex

I don't like the regular travel bags for a few reasons. They are usually expensive, heavy and flags your baggage as "expensive dive equipment." I use a plastic footlocker I bought at Wal-mart. It has metal latches and wheels on one end, and I re-enforce it with duct tape. The plastic is pretty thick so it stands up the the abuse luggage takes. I carry my regs, mask, and computers in my carry-on.
Carrie

I agree with Carrie, dive Bags with brand names can be tempting targets for theft IMO. If you can find a rolling duffel at Walmart or something similar that should do the trick. If it rots out in a year or so it will not be such a big deal. It will be a lot cheaper than buying a brand name dive bag. I bought this really cool mesh bag from Decathlon which I use to and from my regular diving spots. I use the duffel for the plane and just put the mesh bag in the duffel. This system allows for more drying time before travel. I carry the regs on board with me. If you dive very often, the mesh bag is best as it will not smell or rot do to the fact it can be easily rinsed and hung on a line to dry. Hope this helps.

Good luck with your gap year,

I've gone back to using a plain heavy duty duffel bag for my gear. It weighs 4 lb compared to the 12 lb my roller dive gear bag. I'd much rather use the extra 8 lb for tools, spare parts and extra batteries then have the wheels on the bag. I can always rent one of those carts in the airport or tip a bellman if I need help with my gear.

Barghy, I noticed you were in England.

I got my divebag from Denny Diving/Diving Direct (UK) several years ago when I embarked on a big departure to travel, dive and work. I've still got it and the bag's been through a lot. It's one of those big trolley bags with a solid structure in the main compartment. Best thing is, it's a "no name" bag with no adverts splashed to attract thieves.

https://clarahost.clara.net/www.divingdirectshop.co.uk/

I imagine they've discontinued the exact same one but there may be similar.

Have a good trip

If you're not worried about the labeling, the Aqua Lung Tropical is an excellent bag. I originally bought it after having learned some lessons from another roller bag. Some of the lessons were:

Big YKK tooth zippers like on wetsuits rather than the coil type of zipper. Doesn't get jammed with a little bit of corrosion.

Stainless steel zipper pulls. Don't corrode as easily resulting in the above problem.

A locking telescoping handle. Sometimes you have to push it.

Light enough to fill and not exceed the 50 lb limit.

Backpack straps for when you have a lot of other luggage or have to go off pavement.

Durable cordura or ballistic nylon material.

This particular bag also won some kind of award from Scuba magazine. You can always subdue the Aqualung markings with a magic marker.

Great thread. I have an option on the following bag. My dear wife has indicated she will buy it for my BD/fathers day. I think it is a great layout, with a large pocket on the inside of the main/top flap to hold the fins. This will provide protection for the contents inside while the backside is semi-rigid with the handle providing additional protection.

Great thread. I have an option on the following bag. My dear wife has indicated she will buy it for my BD/fathers day. I think it is a great layout, with a large pocket on the inside of the main/top flap to hold the fins. This will provide protection for the contents inside while the backside is semi-rigid with the handle providing additional protection.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/longhaul-30.html

Like man others, my concern is the fin length. A very quick/rough measurement got me about 26-27" length on the suggested fin pocket, but likelihood is it would be closing in on the 28" of usable space.

A few questions. I hope someone is around at this late hour to provide feedback.

1. What is the average/common fin length? (Size 9 foot and considering Aeris Velocity X3 or Hollis F1)
2. What is your general feedback on this bag? I am assuming a padded regulator bag could fit in the front pocket.

Thanks
OnMedic

Like man others, my concern is the fin length. A very quick/rough measurement got me about 26-27" length on the suggested fin pocket, but likelihood is it would be closing in on the 28" of usable space.

A few questions. I hope someone is around at this late hour to provide feedback.

1. What is the average/common fin length? (Size 9 foot and considering Aeris Velocity X3 or Hollis F1)
2. What is your general feedback on this bag? I am assuming a padded regulator bag could fit in the front pocket.

Thanks
OnMedic

Back
Top Bottom