Travel Diving Bag Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out your typical carry-on limits. If it's the typical US limits of about 30-40lbs get the Dive Caddy. I have used it on four seperate flights for US Airways international/national....not a single problem not even a sideways glance. Put your key gear in there (it will hold most if not all of your gear, depending on what you include...probably not a dry suit, or five canister lights). Now your stuff is safe with you.

My dive caddy holds my v16 fins, Probe XL (large), 5mm akona, reg/octopus/pressure gauge/wireless transmitter, drybox full of batteries, gloves/hood/booties, snorkel, rash gaurd and mask (with box). Anything extra: my large peanut butter jar holding my save-a-dive-kit, knife, extra lights, groin cup (wetsuits are too uncomfy in that region), other misc gear goes into the suitcase...usually the stuff that won't sink a dive trip if my luggage is lost/stolen.

EDIT: DiveCaddy may be expensive, but it saves you money fast. My fiancee' had to check in two bags (suit case and dive bag...cost $65)....I had to check in one suit case...cost $30....make that a two way flight and on the first try I saved $70....it doesn't take that many trips to recoup your money....and the custer service at dive caddy is AMAZING.

Check out your typical carry-on limits. If it's the typical US limits of about 30-40lbs get the Dive Caddy. I have used it on four seperate flights for US Airways international/national....not a single problem not even a sideways glance. Put your key gear in there (it will hold most if not all of your gear, depending on what you include...probably not a dry suit, or five canister lights). Now your stuff is safe with you.

My dive caddy holds my v16 fins, Probe XL (large), 5mm akona, reg/octopus/pressure gauge/wireless transmitter, drybox full of batteries, gloves/hood/booties, snorkel, rash gaurd and mask (with box). Anything extra: my large peanut butter jar holding my save-a-dive-kit, knife, extra lights, groin cup (wetsuits are too uncomfy in that region), other misc gear goes into the suitcase...usually the stuff that won't sink a dive trip if my luggage is lost/stolen.

EDIT: DiveCaddy may be expensive, but it saves you money fast. My fiancee' had to check in two bags (suit case and dive bag...cost $65)....I had to check in one suit case...cost $30....make that a two way flight and on the first try I saved $70....it doesn't take that many trips to recoup your money....and the custer service at dive caddy is AMAZING.

Hmm... got me thinking.... Hmmmm

Check baggage is not a big issue even though most of my diving is a flight away: 1) Air Canada and WestJet do not charge for Luggage; and 2) I am Star Alliance Gold and get two pieces checked at No Charge on *A carriers.

I wish they had a return policy should I not like it I could send it back...

EDIT: I just watched the videos. A lot of thought has gone into the caddy... too much? It seams like packing could be very strategic and time consuming vs. a larger roller bag. Decisions, Decisions!

Last edited:
Other concerns for checked baggage: 1) Lost - well your trip goes bye bye, and most airlines won't refund more then $1000 US which is less then what your dive gear cost, 2) Stolen - same as above, 3) damaged - your reg gets pitched around and it breaks...you don't know it until you are in the water. If you do not have those concerns, have insurance, etc then no need.

The first time I went to pack my dive caddy it took me a bit of time to figure out how to configure my bag so it fit....now that I know how to pack it I spend about 10 minutes. Overall that is not a bad pack-time...nothing like just throwing your stuff in haphazardly but 10 minutes is just fine. My fiancee' spends more time packing her regular suitcase :)

I have the old Akona roller back/backpack. The thing has been all over and I still use it, but sometimes I wish it was like the newer less 10lbs model. I used that bag to fit pretty much all my diving gear except for regs/computer which Ive always carried onboard. Weight limit is an issue though with this bag nowadays though. I basically stuff the thing with my clothes, but had to check the weight limit many times when done. Also, I found that when I come back from a humid area, everything tends to weight a little more...so pack in consequence (plus all them souvenirs dive shirts one might bring back or what not) :wink:

I also bring along a mesh bag for my stuff when getting to and back from the boat.

I have a small DAN drybag that I also bring along on my trips.

And yesterday, I bought myself a Dive Caddy! Took about 30min the first time to figure it out and pack it for the first time with my gear: 5mm Bare full wetsuit (M) (i live in Canada), Seaquest ProQD+ (M), Aqualung Titan 1st stage plus Glacia 2stage+octo+suunto computer+spg, booties, towel, flip-flop, mares advanti quattro fins, mask +snorkel.
I was just trying to fit the stuff inside without packing clothes and all the res of the stuff you could if you wanted to.
Brought everything to the pool to give a scuba review and man...was it ever a hit!!
Anyway, the thing is super well made, very smart design and overall coolness +++
Oh and its really comfortable on your back. Im not that tall 5'8, athletic built and it doesnt look HUGE on my back. I will be taking it to Mexico this June (cenotes/whaleshark). Updates later.

my 2 cents

I have the old Akona roller back/backpack. The thing has been all over and I still use it, but sometimes I wish it was like the newer less 10lbs model. I used that bag to fit pretty much all my diving gear except for regs/computer which Ive always carried onboard. Weight limit is an issue though with this bag nowadays though. I basically stuff the thing with my clothes, but had to check the weight limit many times when done. Also, I found that when I come back from a humid area, everything tends to weight a little more...so pack in consequence (plus all them souvenirs dive shirts one might bring back or what not) :wink:

I also bring along a mesh bag for my stuff when getting to and back from the boat.

I have a small DAN drybag that I also bring along on my trips.

And yesterday, I bought myself a Dive Caddy! Took about 30min the first time to figure it out and pack it for the first time with my gear: 5mm Bare full wetsuit (M) (i live in Canada), Seaquest ProQD+ (M), Aqualung Titan 1st stage plus Glacia 2stage+octo+suunto computer+spg, booties, towel, flip-flop, mares advanti quattro fins, mask +snorkel.
I was just trying to fit the stuff inside without packing clothes and all the res of the stuff you could if you wanted to.
Brought everything to the pool to give a scuba review and man...was it ever a hit!!
Anyway, the thing is super well made, very smart design and overall coolness +++
Oh and its really comfortable on your back. Im not that tall 5'8, athletic built and it doesnt look HUGE on my back. I will be taking it to Mexico this June (cenotes/whaleshark). Updates later.

my 2 cents

Great feedback Ninj[a]!

I am down to Dive Caddy or a few of the IQ-Company gear bags... and cool wetsuit! (iQ-Company | Divestyle and equipment with fish)

I really like their Smart Bag 125.2 Bite. (iQ Smart Bag Bites - Watersports Warehouse) Only draw back is that lacks shoulder straps for either side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom