Travel Bcs And Minimum Buoyancy Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't find an example but I know I've encountered dive charter operations in Florida that say they require a minimum BC lift capacity of 30 pounds.

Is it possible that they were talking about the minimum lift capacity of their rental fleets, not people's personal gear?

When my brother got certified in 1969 there was no such thing as a BC. They used that collar with the CO2 inflater. BC's were just starting to come on the scene when I was certified in 1976.

When my brother got certified in 1969 there was no such thing as a BC. They used that collar with the CO2 inflater. BC's were just starting to come on the scene when I was certified in 1976.

Yup, same for me. Dad taught me to dive about 1969 or 1970. I remember pointing and laughing at the people with horse collars.

Tanks were small, 72's or repurposed fire bottles. Not a lot of hovering going on. The early days of scuba were seen as an extension of skin diving. Almost all scuba divers were "watermen" comfortable in the water, fit, strong swimmers. Proper weighting was key. Makes me giggle when today people want to know if they should get a BC with 45 or 65 lbs of lift....

Tobin

I've never been told there had to be a specific lift capacity, just that BCs were required. Some ops won't let you dive sans BC but no one has ever blinked at my ~18 pound homemade wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom