Question Subgravity Paragon or HOG System?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pics or it didn’t happen! Here is the SG Paragon 30:

2B1D9232-FF89-4423-918A-CD9B98A732D7.jpeg

Still untested! Got caught up in the airline craziness last weekend. Haven’t made it to Cozumel—yet.

Pro tip: Put an AirTag or other tracker in your checked bag. A lifesaver when things go south. (Or fail to go south! o_O ) That little gem found both my bag and my buddy’s in a massive bag cluster.

Rescheduling for March, looks like. Will report back on the SG rig then.

Still untested! Got caught up in the airline craziness last weekend. Haven’t made it to Cozumel—yet.

Pro tip: Put an AirTag or other tracker in your checked bag. A lifesaver when things go south. (Or fail to go south! o_O ) That little gem found both my bag and my buddy’s in a massive bag cluster.

Great idea!

Any recommendations for the "AirTag"? Is that basically a Lojack for a checked bag?

Any recommendations for the "AirTag"? Is that basically a Lojack for a checked bag?
Pretty much. Apple markets them as AirTag. I have also seen Tile. There may be others. They are pretty ingenious. They communicate with nearby Bluetooth devices to send a digital "here I am" signal using minimal power. I made mine stealthy with an enclosure and attached it to the inside straps of the luggage - NOT to the BP/W, as salt water immersion is probably not good for them. :wink:

Sorry, I have been on a surface interval since diving the SG rig in Cozumel for a week, 12 dives, in March. (Was supposed to be December but got stranded in Denver on Christmas Eve. Long story.)

The following is adapted from a PM conversation with @RobPNW.

The SG Paragon single tank package is awesome. Industrial strength. I prefer it to my excellent Scubapro BC. My buddy (also SP) developed BP/W envy while we dove in CZM. He just ordered a similar Hog Total Buoyancy Control System from Bob Collins at the Long Beach scuba show. A little less $ but not by a lot. We will try it in Maui next month. I haven’t yet done beach dives with the SG. We’ll see.

The adjustable harness is complicated, yet I like it. (Practice until you can do everything blindfolded!) The stainless hardware is super macho. :wink: I put on the BP/W with buckles closed and straps extended. Then pull the straps tight and go diving. Waist strap requires a further tug once in the water. Don’t forget to thread the crotch strap or you will be sporting a tail for the whole dive. Don’t ask me how I know.

Post-dive, I open the waist strap and one or both buckles when back on the boat to take it off easily.

I chose the aluminum backplate and the small horizontal weight pockets. I added 2 trim pouches on the upper cam band. I started with 4,4,4,4 and found I only needed 4,4,3,3. That’s with a Lycra skin and aluminum 80, and dive boats whizzing around on all sides, which argues for slight overweighting. If you have less bioprene, a heavier tank, or a thicker suit, YMMV. Nice horizontal position in the water. Pleasant when inflated at the surface.

I put a pouch for Dryfob XL containing my PLB, another pouch for my reel and SMB, plus my Nautilus, and a dive light holster, all on the waist strap. All easy to reach and secured with plastic tri-glides so they don’t slide off. A girl on the boat said it looked like a cop belt! LOL.

Very pleased with my SG rig. Hope this is helpful to those considering the SG Paragon single tank system.

A pic taken by another diver:

1679417865878.jpeg

Attachments

• 1679417865878.jpeg
    1679417865878.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 52

Back
Top Bottom