Trip Report Return to Malpelo, July 20-30, 2023 on Colombia Dive Adventures, Ferox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Return to Malpelo, July 20-30, 2023 on Colombia Dive Adventures, Ferox

My first visit to Malpelo was nearly exactly 2 years earlier
Trip Report - The Magic of Malpelo, July 9-18, 2021 on the Ferox

This report will be briefer. See the two gorgeous videos from my dive buddy, @Dan
Malpelo 20-30 July 2023
Diving El Arrecife in July 2023

Travel

I flew down to Miami from Philadelphia a day early because I could not get there early enough to make the flight to Cali on American Airlines. I stayed in the Miami International Airport Hotel. It was very convenient and made my check in the next morning a breeze. The flight to Cali was uneventful and we took a cab, arranged by the hotel concierge, to the Intercontinental Cali Hotel. The next afternoon, the Colombia Dive Adventures bus, included in the charter price, took us from Cali to Buenaventura. Once in Buenaventura, we were shuttled out to the Ferox in one of the RIBs. After a thorough safety briefing and being shown to our cabins, we were underway to Malpelo. The 310 mile crossing to Malpelo was much smoother than it was in 2021. The transdermal scopolamine patches were not really needed for this trip, but better safe than sorry.

The trip back to Buenaventura was also quite smooth. We spent one night on the Ferox, were bused back to Cali, spent a night at the InterContinental, and then flew back home.

Boat and Crew

I described the Ferox in detail in my 2021 review and will not repeat it all here. I would reiterate that the Ferox is not a luxury liveaboard, but a safe, sturdy, comfortable place from which to dive Malpelo. I had the starboard, main deck single cabin last trip, this time I had the port, main deck single. It was a little bit smaller but very comfortable, good bed, perfect air conditioning, good bathroom size and shower. The 12 passengers have 10 cabins, the 2 main deck singles, 6 below deck singles and 2 below deck doubles. I really appreciate the privacy of a single room. On this trip, the 12 guests were made up of 10 men and 2 women, a couple from Australia, a couple from Switzerland, a man from Canada, and 7 men from the US.

Dive days start early with fruit, breads, and coffee. Full breakfast, to order, is served after the first dive. Lunch, after dive two, and dinner, after dive three, are plated and served to the table. Though not gourmet, meals, often Colombian cuisine, are all quite good, varied, with plenty to eat. Several of us did not eat meat and got chicken or fish as the main course. There were no vegetarians or vegans on this trip. Colombian beer was available at no charge starting after the third dive and wine was available for purchase.

The all Colombian crew was very hardworking and would do anything they could to provide a safe, enjoyable trip. The cook’s helper serviced our rooms every morning during the first dive.

Diving

All diving in Malpelo is done from one of the two rugged, powerful rigid inflatable boats. Dan and I chose a half boat charter with Sten Johansson, who we had met as our guide during our 2021 trip to Malpelo. Sten is an extremely experienced guide for the Eastern Pacific with a couple of decades in the Revillagigedos and more than a decade in Malpelo. He has an uncanny ability to read the seas and plan the best dive. Above all, he is a very nice, thoughtful man. The guide for the other RIB was the very capable and experienced Jaime Orlando Lopez. You stay with your group of six divers, guide, and RIB driver for the entire trip. Our RIB driver went by the name, Popeye. He was small and sturdy, when you saw him hoist the BCs and tanks back onto the RIB, you realized how he got his nickname. The two RIBs go to different dive sites, you never see the other group underwater.

Dives are started with a back roll off the RIB. The group descends together, generally dives together, and ascends together to board the RIB. Cameras, weights, BC and tank, and finally, fins are passed up before climbing the good ladder. BCs, tanks, and fins stay on the RIB, tanks are filled in place. Dives are all with 32% nitrox. Standard tanks are AL80s, AL100s are also available for rent and are filled to the same pressure. Fills on this trip were good, an average of 3100 psi (3034-3200). I would recommend using the dive profiles I provide below, along with your gas consumption, to decide which cylinder is best for you.

One of the reasons I chose this particular charter was that it provided 7 days of diving rather than the more usual 6. We were able to do 21 dives on this visit, we had 18 dives in 2021. Based on my experience in 2021, I took my full 5 mm full suit and my 5/3 mm hooded vest. It turned out that the minimum temperature on dives this year was a full 4 degrees warmer than in 2021, 79 degrees (77-82) vs. 75 degrees (72-82). I wore my 5 mm wetsuit without the hooded vest and was just a little too warm on a few of the dives. I did wish that I had my 3 mm wetsuit. A pair of light, rugged gloves helps with a rock hold in surge or strong current.

The average maximum depth for all dives was 100 feet (76-114). The mean average depth was 59 feet (49-68). The average dive time was 66 minutes (59-75). I dive one computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C at a GF high of 95 and one computer running DSAT. The average remaining NDL times were 11 minutes (1-30) and 13 minutes (3-30) respectfully. My average surfacing GF was 61 (46-78).

Here is a summary of the entire trip itinerary:

July 18 Fly to Miami from Philadelphia

July 19 Fly to Cali from Miami

July 20 Bus from Cali to Buenaventura, board the Ferox, sail to Malpelo

July 21 Sail to Malpelo

July 22 Arrive Malpelo, dive day 1

El Arrecife

D’Artagnan

La Gringa

July 23 Dive day 2

La Nevera

La Ferreteria

La Pared del Naufrago

July 24 Dive day 3

Bajo del Monstruo

Acuario

La Nevera

July 25 Dive day 4

El Arrecife

David, Three Kings

El Mirador

July 26 Dive day 5

David

La Catedral/Three Musketeers Porthos

La Ferreteria

July 27 Dive day 6

La Gringa/El Bajon

La Nevera

Baja del Ancla

July 28 Dive day 7, sail to Buenaventura

David, Saul, Sahara

Bajo del Monstruo/La Cara del Fantasma

Arrecife/La Cara del Fantasma/Bajo del Monstruo

July 29 Arrive Buenaventura

July 30 Bus to Cali

July 31 Fly home

(continued)

The diving on this trip was very good and was different than the diving in 2021. First, was the higher water temperature mentioned above. Perhaps related to El Nino, the higher water temperatures might have affected the sea life we saw on this visit. Second, the sea conditions on this trip were calmer than in 2021, allowing us to dive the sites off the south end of Malpelo, La Gringa, Bajon, The Three Kings (Salomon, David, and Saul), and Sahara. The topography of these islets and surrounding area is complimentary to the other dive sites visited.

Though still quite numerous, we saw somewhat fewer Galapagos and hammerhead sharks this visit and some of the encounters were more distant. We saw only a single whale shark while diving at La Nevera but also had two nice surface encounters and snorkeled with whale sharks for prolonged periods. On the way back from a dive at El Mirador, we had a great time off D’Artagnan with a whale shark and a huge school of bigeye trevally. We had a giant manta off David. We saw very many eagle rays, significantly more than in 2021.

There was a countless number of very large to huge schools of fish. The most remarkable were the bigeye trevally, including many mating pairs, but also included pelican barracuda, whipper snappers, mullet snappers and Bluefin trevally. Almaco jacks, cubera snapper, and black jacks would often come swooping in, looking for an easy meal.

The reefs were alive with all the usual characters. There were schools of leather bass hunting with their pals, the fine speckled moray eels. Barberfish and king angels, often in schools, ready to clean though the sharks kept their distance. Guineafowl puffers, trumpetfish, blue-spotted coronetfish, scorpionfish, clouds of cardinalfish, giant hawkfish, Mexican hogfish, moorish idols, surgeonfish, triggerfish, filefish…

We had the opportunity to do two beautiful swim-throughs that were unavailable to us in 2021. The first was at La Gringa and was filled by a school of whipper snappers with a whitetip reef shark passing through. The second, La Catedral, is in the middle island of the Three Musketeers, Porthos. Before we made the entrance, we are joined by three beautiful eagle rays, leisurely swimming by. As soon as we enter La Catedral, it becomes quite clear how it got its name. There are gorgeous shafts of light streaming down from the ceiling and a large, triangular exit, lit by the bright sun. The swim through was filled with whipper snappers, the sun glinting off their scales. As soon as I exited, a large, free swimming fine spotted moray passed in front of me with an entourage of king angelfish. A few Galapagos sharks paid a brief visit before we started our ascent. On the way up, we encountered a dazzling, large school of bigeye trevally, before ending our seventy one minute dive.

Our last dive of the trip was a good one and we covered a lot of ground in one of the more brisk currents. We started at El Arrecife, passed by La Cara del Fantasma, and ended up at Bajo del Monstruo. We saw our only silvertip shark. There were whitetip reef sharks, Galapagos sharks, pelican barracuda, leather bass, fine spotted morays, schooling creolefish, and more.

This was a really good trip, 21 dives, nearly 23 hours of diving. This visit to Malpelo left Dan and I wondering what Malpelo is like is during the dry season, when the water is colder. We will have to wait for our third visit to Malpelo with Sten in March of 2025, another 7 dive day trip.

Colombia Dive Adventures

Sten Johansson

I will post photos when the SB upgrade is finished. Currently, just one photo/file per post

While I've never done a liveaboard, your review has me quite envious. Three dives a day, a nice meal after each, beer and wine in the evening. Sounds about perfect! Maybe in retirement I'll consider doing a liveaboard. My vacation time is too limited until then.

While I've never done a liveaboard, your review has me quite envious. Three dives a day, a nice meal after each, beer and wine in the evening. Sounds about perfect! Maybe in retirement I'll consider doing a liveaboard. My vacation time is too limited until then.
Don't delay forever, you may not always be able to do dives like this. I wish I had started off on some of my pinnacle dives a little earlier, but I had the same restrictions that you do. My wife does not join me on these dives, similar to your situation. On my next dive in Malpelo, I will be 71, I hope that is a young 71.

I keep hoping we will have the opportunity to dive together in SE FL, get better soon my friend.

... As soon as we enter La Catedral, it becomes quite clear how it got its name.
That sounds like an incredible dive site. Excellent write up and I can understand why you are planning your 3rd visit!!

Thanks for writing this excellent report, @scubadada! You wrote much better & complete than what I would’ve done it.

I was planning to write one after I finished publishing the trip video, but the tight schedule forced me to postpone it. A few days after coming back from Malpelo, I flew to Indonesia for a dive trip in Bali-Komodo in August, then to Mexico for a dive trip in Sea of Cortez in September. I’m now in Australia visiting family.

The average maximum depth for all dives was 100 feet (76-114). The mean average depth was 59 feet (49-68). The average dive time was 66 minutes (59-75).

I forgot to say that Sten requires his divers to have at least 200 dives in applicable environments.
Good, practical info. Glad you made it back to Malpelo; I know from your prior trip report you were taken with it.

I took those 2 quotes together because in combination they suggest to me Malpelo's diving can be a bit 'challenging,' and averages deeper than some of the mainstream Caribbean destinations, so air consumption for people who aren't particularly good with it could be limiting. At least that's my inference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom