Trip Report Malpelo Trip Report March 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpelo is definitely on my bucketlist...

I'd love to hear a comparison opinion between malpelo and Socorro from someone who's been to both @scubadada ?
About the best I can do:

Revillagigedos is easiest to get to the boat and the least expensive trip. It will be my next repeat after Malpelo. Cocos and Galapagos are the most expensive, I would also like to get back if I don't get too old and beat up :)

Hello Kris ,

thank you very much for your report and glad to know that you are very satisfied with your trip .

I'll be in Malpelo next mid of April ( ... finger crossed ... ) so just few questions :
- how is the dive schedule ?
- always negative entry ?
- 15 l tank are steel or aluminum ?
- I wonder if it is a good idea to bring my long carbon free diving fins ... do they usually dive in open water ( like in Socorro ) or most of the time is spent close to the rock ( like in Galapagos in Wolf and Darwin dive sites ) ?

many thanks
Paolo

Hello Kris ,

thank you very much for your report and glad to know that you are very satisfied with your trip .

I'll be in Malpelo next mid of April ( ... finger crossed ... ) so just few questions :
- how is the dive schedule ?
- always negative entry ?
- 15 l tank are steel or aluminum ?
- I wonder if it is a good idea to bring my long carbon free diving fins ... do they usually dive in open water ( like in Socorro ) or most of the time is spent close to the rock ( like in Galapagos in Wolf and Darwin dive sites ) ?

many thanks
Paolo
Hi Paolo,

It’s 3 dives per day, no night dives . The majority of dives are negative entry but you could take your time if needed , one girl had trouble with her ears and she was always slowest down but it never was a problem. The tanks were all aluminium- I dived with a standard 12 however a lot of guests paid for the 15l tank. They had lots of them on board so if you needed one it was no issue at all.
I dived with my freediving fins- I don’t wear boots with them , if you are ok with the cold I would recommend them- but to be honest you would be fine with any kind of fins- just made it a bit easier for me to get under the schools faster with the bigger fins.

It was quite a bit of swimming in the blue but also some time on the rocks. There was less time on the rocks than at cocos and Galapagos though.

Hi @paolobl65

From 2021, same as per @KrisR
  • 3 dives per day, SIs average 2:30, very relaxed
  • Yes, negative entry, all together, but not an emergency descent. We only had one big camera on the RHIB, she took it with her, nothing handed down for us
  • Larger tanks were AL, filled to the same pressure as the AL80s, my avg was 3084 psi, so the 100s would be more like 93 cu ft. Sorry for the imperial units, you get it (93% of fill to working pressure)
  • Fair amount of open water swimming. Take the fins you feel most comfortable in. Cylinders, BC, and fins all stay on the RHIB. Very long fins might be a little unwieldy depending on where you sit, no problem

Thanks for taking the time to share this! I am heading to Malpelo in May for the first time and your feedback is helpful. Did you spend any time in Cali on the way back? I am arriving a couple of days early to sight see and would appreciate any suggestions for things to do and places to see.
Since @KrisR didn’t spend any time in Cali, and @scubadada & I did, before & after our trip to Malpelo in July 2021, I share our trip video of Cali, below:

Thanks for posting your trip report and pictures. I like them, especially those wall of hammerhead pictures. You saw lots of hammerheads in March 👍.

We just saw a few of them in July, but saw about 4 Whalesharks. One of them was just swimming next to the boat, so I grabbed my fins, mask and snorkel and swam with it, as shown in my trip video, below.

Iv not done one of these in a while so thought I’d give an insight into what went in to my trip to Malpelo. I was really flexible with dates as this was a solo trip and I luckily can take leave from work whenever suits me. I emailed Colombia Dive adventures about their upcoming Ferox trips asking if they were willing to offer any discounts on any trips. They emailed me back within a day saying yeah they would offer a $1000 discount if I could make the March1st-10th trip 2023.

I made had numerous back and forward emails and WhatsApp messages with Colombo Dive Adventure’s and they were really good to deal with. They took the payment in 3 instalments and I paid via credit card. Any questions I had were promptly answered.

I booked flights with KLM from Glasgow, had a 1.5 hour flight on the 27th to Amsterdam, over night in Amsterdam, then 11 hour flight to Panama, 1.5 hour flight to Cali. I arrived at 9pm and collected my bags before making my way to the Intercontinental Cali.

I tried to get an Uber from Cali but no drivers were available so I took one of the regular cabs from the airport. I’m sure I overpaid paying 20 dollars for the 25 min drive to the Intercontinental Cali, however I was happy to do so. I found the taxi drivers all to be friendly and no one was too pushy at all.

The intercontinental was a really nice hotel, comfy beds, nice restaurants. No complaints at all. Pick up was at one the next day. In the morning I got up at 7 and went for a long walk around Cali, most I have basic Spanish speaking knowledge but just used google for any phrases I wasn’t sure of. Felt really safe walking through Cali.

We all met just before 1pm and took the 3 hour transfer to Buenaventura, had a stop after one hour for some lunch then all the way to the port. Crew were all really friendly when we got on the boat, got settled into our cabins , had a a boat tour and some safety drills.

I got one of the downstairs rooms nearer the hull , the rooms were all mainly single rooms, and the beds were comfortable. The toilet and shower was pretty small- my shoulders were squashed against the walls when sitting on the toilet. I am a big guy though so I couldn’t complain. The boat’s definitely not a luxury experience but it’s more than fit for purpose. I wouldn’t hesitate to stay on the Ferox again.

3 standard meals a day which again was tasty, nobody was complaining, plus snacks after the 3rd dive before dinner. Beers were 2 dollars each , wine 30 and a half bottle of spirit for 20 dollars so pretty reasonable. There was always a bucket of beers left out after dive 3 which was free.

The diving- to be honest it was absolutely amazing. The visibility was at worst approx 8-10m and best 15-20m. I think on the whole we got lucky with the vis. I was quite ignorant as I expected to see the small tooth sand tiger shark- ( as apparently it’s the season to see it) however our amazing dive guide Fabio told me he has seen it twice on his 20 trips. So neither of thr 2 dive groups had any luck. 12 guests ( one non diving so their was a group of 5 and 6) We did a total of 18 dives and on 13 of them we saw at least 3 big schools of hammerheads. One dive in particular they filled the entire water column from 30m- the surface. The guide estimated there was at least 800. We saw numerous schools of eagle rays, massive schools of numerous kind of fish, endemic small species of Malpelo, plus much more. One dive I counted seeing 20 Galapagos sharks at once.

The average temperature was 21 C degrees, on the surface 28-30 C but in the thermoclines which were ever changing and constant the water was 17-18 C. Most guests wore a 5mm plus hood gloves and boots, I dived in a 5mil body with 2 mil arms, no hood or gloves. I was cold in the thermoclines but I’m good at dealing with colder water. We had to do some swimming into current but generally the currents weren’t much of an issue.

Our crossings varied from flat calm to moderately choppy. I was comfortable the whole trip.
To summarise from my experience I saw a lot more schools of hammerheads in a Malpelo than In cocos or Galapagos, however the vis was better in cocos and I got a lot of much closer passes from hammerheads and tigers in cocos. The vis was probably worse in Galapagos but the biodiversity there was more. I genuinely can’t split them for experiences and would highly recommend trying them all of you get the chance.

I met a diver called Tracey who has been to cocos 17 times ( I’m very jealous) , this was her 3rd trip to Malpelo. She ranked cocos as her favourite, ( but I think she might be biased 🤣) . It’s a great question where is best- but I certainly can’t give a definitive answer. Socorro will be next on my eastern pacific tour , I’m looking forward to seeing how it compares.

Would be delighted to answer any questions if I have missed anything out.
Iv not done one of these in a while so thought I’d give an insight into what went in to my trip to Malpelo. I was really flexible with dates as this was a solo trip and I luckily can take leave from work whenever suits me. I emailed Colombia Dive adventures about their upcoming Ferox trips asking if they were willing to offer any discounts on any trips. They emailed me back within a day saying yeah they would offer a $1000 discount if I could make the March1st-10th trip 2023.

I made had numerous back and forward emails and WhatsApp messages with Colombo Dive Adventure’s and they were really good to deal with. They took the payment in 3 instalments and I paid via credit card. Any questions I had were promptly answered.

I booked flights with KLM from Glasgow, had a 1.5 hour flight on the 27th to Amsterdam, over night in Amsterdam, then 11 hour flight to Panama, 1.5 hour flight to Cali. I arrived at 9pm and collected my bags before making my way to the Intercontinental Cali.

I tried to get an Uber from Cali but no drivers were available so I took one of the regular cabs from the airport. I’m sure I overpaid paying 20 dollars for the 25 min drive to the Intercontinental Cali, however I was happy to do so. I found the taxi drivers all to be friendly and no one was too pushy at all.

The intercontinental was a really nice hotel, comfy beds, nice restaurants. No complaints at all. Pick up was at one the next day. In the morning I got up at 7 and went for a long walk around Cali, most I have basic Spanish speaking knowledge but just used google for any phrases I wasn’t sure of. Felt really safe walking through Cali.

We all met just before 1pm and took the 3 hour transfer to Buenaventura, had a stop after one hour for some lunch then all the way to the port. Crew were all really friendly when we got on the boat, got settled into our cabins , had a a boat tour and some safety drills.

I got one of the downstairs rooms nearer the hull , the rooms were all mainly single rooms, and the beds were comfortable. The toilet and shower was pretty small- my shoulders were squashed against the walls when sitting on the toilet. I am a big guy though so I couldn’t complain. The boat’s definitely not a luxury experience but it’s more than fit for purpose. I wouldn’t hesitate to stay on the Ferox again.

3 standard meals a day which again was tasty, nobody was complaining, plus snacks after the 3rd dive before dinner. Beers were 2 dollars each , wine 30 and a half bottle of spirit for 20 dollars so pretty reasonable. There was always a bucket of beers left out after dive 3 which was free.

The diving- to be honest it was absolutely amazing. The visibility was at worst approx 8-10m and best 15-20m. I think on the whole we got lucky with the vis. I was quite ignorant as I expected to see the small tooth sand tiger shark- ( as apparently it’s the season to see it) however our amazing dive guide Fabio told me he has seen it twice on his 20 trips. So neither of thr 2 dive groups had any luck. 12 guests ( one non diving so their was a group of 5 and 6) We did a total of 18 dives and on 13 of them we saw at least 3 big schools of hammerheads. One dive in particular they filled the entire water column from 30m- the surface. The guide estimated there was at least 800. We saw numerous schools of eagle rays, massive schools of numerous kind of fish, endemic small species of Malpelo, plus much more. One dive I counted seeing 20 Galapagos sharks at once.

The average temperature was 21 C degrees, on the surface 28-30 C but in the thermoclines which were ever changing and constant the water was 17-18 C. Most guests wore a 5mm plus hood gloves and boots, I dived in a 5mil body with 2 mil arms, no hood or gloves. I was cold in the thermoclines but I’m good at dealing with colder water. We had to do some swimming into current but generally the currents weren’t much of an issue.

Our crossings varied from flat calm to moderately choppy. I was comfortable the whole trip.
To summarise from my experience I saw a lot more schools of hammerheads in a Malpelo than In cocos or Galapagos, however the vis was better in cocos and I got a lot of much closer passes from hammerheads and tigers in cocos. The vis was probably worse in Galapagos but the biodiversity there was more. I genuinely can’t split them for experiences and would highly recommend trying them all of you get the chance.

I met a diver called Tracey who has been to cocos 17 times ( I’m very jealous) , this was her 3rd trip to Malpelo. She ranked cocos as her favourite, ( but I think she might be biased 🤣) . It’s a great question where is best- but I certainly can’t give a definitive answer. Socorro will be next on my eastern pacific tour , I’m looking forward to seeing how it compares.

Would be delighted to answer any questions if I have missed anything out.

That’s a ridiculous fare from the airport to Cali. It’s about COP 50,000 so you paid about double.

Taxi from CLO to Cali Intercontinental is about $10-12 according to Rome2rio I paid about much in July 2021.

Yeah when I checked the cheapest fare on Uber was 58,000. I feel like I can live with the 8 dollar contribution to the local cab driver 😉

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom