Trip Report Malpelo Trip Report March 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah when I checked the cheapest fare on Uber was 58,000. I feel like I can live with the 8 dollar contribution to the local cab driver 😉
Yeah, not much in USD but him ripping you off is one of the reasons Colombians hate taxis and prefer apps like Uber and DiDi. They will often ask where you’re going to decide whether or not to take you (they’re not supposed to do that), or if caught in a traffic jam kick you out, and as in your case rip you off.

In my case, I called Intercontinental Cali concierge. They sent a driver with my name tag and met me at the outside of the CLO airport.

In my case, I called Intercontinental Cali concierge. They sent a driver with my name tag and met me at the outside of the CLO airport.
That's the best way, taking a cab in Colombia can be very dangerous. My gf freaks out when her mom hails a cab in the street. A common safeguard is to send a friend or family member a picture of the license plate if you do take a cab from the street.

Yeah that’s a good point. Iv done a fair bit of travelling in South America. When I was getting in the cab I was talking to my wife on the phone and I let the driver see me taking a picture of his license plate. Here is a couple of snaps of the school of silkies- I was a bit disappointed with the vis but they aren’t as bad as I had thought .

Attachments

• 9B54FBE3-5011-4DC5-BB22-D0D2CD0E9A46.jpeg
    9B54FBE3-5011-4DC5-BB22-D0D2CD0E9A46.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 59
  • AA30C48B-8850-4F45-82BA-76DB2099B9B0.jpeg
    AA30C48B-8850-4F45-82BA-76DB2099B9B0.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 56
Hi @KrisR

Did you have one of the National Park Service employees with you on the Ferox? We were lucky and had a very enthusiastic young woman who gave presentations, dived with us, and answered questions after the dives. It was a real bonus.

Hi- yeah a crew member from the silkie came on board and gave us a presentation after our last dive one day. It was really good to be honest, lots of info on protected marine parks and Malpelo. I feel bad because I can’t remember his name as he was a really nice guy. He also did about 6 dives with the 2 diving teams. ( he had a clipboard and was checking how many times the divers kicked or bumped the reef) the worst offender had kicked it 4 times - thankfully I had no blips to my name. Phew . He told us that once he had to stop a diver from diving at Malpelo because their buoyancy was terrible. Not good for either parties .

Hi @KrisR

We gave Stephania a ride out to Malpelo. From my review:

"We were fortunate to be accompanied by a young, enthusiastic Colombia National Park Service employee, Stephania. We transported her to Malpelo to start her month long posting, part of time on the Biodiversity Conservation Colombia boat, the Silky, and part of it on island at the ranger station. She had recently earned her master’s degree from Universidad del Valle, where she studied the genetic diversity of two of Malpelo’s endemic fish species, Rubinoff’s triplefin and the Twinspot triplefin. She gave a fascinating presentation one night regarding Malpelo and the endemic marine and terrestrial life. She also dived with us on several occasions and was happy to supply additional information after the dive."

I don't know if she tracked our reef contact, she gave us no feedback. I think our group was reasonably skilled. The marine park requires just 50 dives and AOW to go out to Malpelo. Our group was a half boat charter with Sten Johansson. He had a higher bar for inclusion, a minimum of 200 dives in a variety of environments applicable to Malpelo. Sten's wife interviewed me in detail by email before approving me. The other four people in our group had dived Malpelo before, only @Dan and I were first timers. Personally, I think experience and skill improves the experience at Malpelo

Was there an option to purchase internet service on the boat? Some LOBs offer this service though the speed tends to be on the slow side.

Was there an option to purchase internet service on the boat? Some LOBs offer this service though the speed tends to be on the slow side.
No, the Ferox does not have satellite internet, at least, it did not in July 2021. You can contact Tony, information on the Colombia Dive Adventures website Malpelo Island Scuba Diving | Colombia Dive Adventures

I did not have internet access in Galapagos 2018 or Cocos 2017, that might have changed. The Nautilus had satellite internet on the trip to the Revillagigedos 2019, $100 for the trip.

Hi- nah no internet available, however you could use the satellite phone for $5 per minute. They did have a phone where you could send text emails for free however. I used the satellite phone 3 times for 2 mins , and sent emails now and again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom