Transmitters on O2 and dil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok so this might be a total rookie/newbie question.

I hear of people putting transmitters on there dil and O2 tanks and I'm wondering why? So far sorb has definitely been limiting and that is with O2 bottles that are not starting at 3442 psi.

With OC I like my transmitter because I have all my data in one place, so far with CCR I really haven't been monitoring gas supply anywhere near as much.

So in short why use transmitters on your on-board gasses?

Reactions: OTF
My 2L of oxygen is going to run out or or low before my dive does :wink: then again, it’s not necessary and most people’s oxygen use is relatively consistent. Frankly I use a pony gauge for any dive sub four hours.

If someone is running onboard dil on a rather bouncy cave like Manatee, it’s nice to know before it runs out. The real answer is not using onboard dil in a cave like that.

Wibble will come along and suggest it saved his life, StuartV will come along and say he likes the logging, someone will say it’s connected to their BOV and want to make sure they can still bail to their onboard. Bleh bleh bleh. Loss of gas isn’t really an emergency on a CCR.

When I was a kid my grandpa kept telling me stories about how cool Flash Gordons watch was.
Now I want mine to do cool stuff.

I run them because I have to have gauges on the bottles when I am teaching. Gauges and hoses always leak, it is a constant annoying thing that scrubs a lot of dives.

@formernuke look around the forums and check the rEvo modifications thread. AI transmitter configured with NERD ensures that you have data literally in your face. It helps with anomaly detection. See the following post:

Just like OC diving for me, if I know my start pressure then at any point during the dive I have a reasonable guess where that gauge should be. Definitely checking it less however that strategy is still something I apply.

Having the data displayed on a handset is a convenient way to organize information into a central information center.

Being hoseless does seem like an easy way to tidy up your plumbing too .

I also just wanted to add that since I'm still relatively newer as a CCR diver I think my gas usage hasn't quite been perfected just yet so for me it could be something I end up not doing in the future.

I don't use a transmitter on my CCR bottles. But if I did, I would still put an SPG on it as well. Transmitters fail, and not knowing my gas pressure will scrub dives. I suppose I could talk myself into it if I always carried fallback SPG's for my O2 and DIL tanks to install as needed.

Gauges and hoses always leak, it is a constant annoying thing that scrubs a lot of dives.

That is actually the only non maintenance related gear failure I've seen.

I don't use a transmitter on my CCR bottles. But if I did, I would still put an SPG on it as well. Transmitters fail, and not knowing my gas pressure will scrub dives. I suppose I could talk myself into it if I always carried fallback SPG's for my O2 and DIL tanks to install as needed.
Do you put two SPGs on your bottles?

^This is silly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom