Transmitters on O2 and dil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't use a transmitter on my CCR bottles. But if I did, I would still put an SPG on it as well. Transmitters fail, and not knowing my gas pressure will scrub dives. I suppose I could talk myself into it if I always carried fallback SPG's for my O2 and DIL tanks to install as needed.
You do your thing. But for many years and dives, I ran button gauges on my ccr to make sure they were full before the dive.

Wibble will come along and suggest it saved his life, StuartV will come along and say he likes the logging, someone will say it’s connected to their BOV and want to make sure they can still bail to their onboard. Bleh bleh bleh. Loss of gas isn’t really an emergency on a CCR.
I really like the logging aspect of them. Plus I run them so I know if I can bail out to my BOV plumbed into my on-board gas. Good thing too, because once my crackbottle SMB was empty, so I had to fill it from my onboard gas, and I never would have known if I had to gas to fill it without my digital gauge. Saved my life.

-Scubaboard

I really like the logging aspect of them. Plus I run them so I know if I can bail out to my BOV plumbed into my on-board gas. Good thing too, because once my crackbottle SMB was empty, so I had to fill it from my onboard gas, and I never would have known if I had to gas to fill it without my digital gauge. Saved my life.

-Scubaboard
Edit: more respectful tone change

It is odd to me that the takeaway from your experience is to use a transmitter, rather than to not plumb 2/3/4L cylinders into your BOV. You also could have bailed to necklaced reg or offboard, shot the bag, and reintroduced your DSV, no?

I love the transmitters because they clear up your chest (no spgs) have fewer failure points (I’ve had several spgs fail spectacularly) and put the info right in your eye. If they fail pre dive just pop a bail out reg on to check the pressure then go about your dive provided your tanks are full. If they fail during the dive you know the most recent pressure which is likely more than adequate. If an spg face blows off you are feathering back to the surface or bailing out. Either way it’s a total bummer.

For multiple wreck deco dives in a day SPGs - either hose or transmitter are valuable. Yes you should check your pressures before you splash on dives 1 and 2, but when you are well into the 2nd half of your dil, or wanting to do an o2 flush shallow on dive 2, its good to know how much you have at the moment.

For multiple wreck deco dives in a day SPGs - either hose or transmitter are valuable. Yes you should check your pressures before you splash on dives 1 and 2, but when you are well into the 2nd half of your dil, or wanting to do an o2 flush shallow on dive 2, its good to know how much you have at the moment.

Right I'm not saying no pressure monitoring, I'm wondering why transmitters over spg's

I don't use a transmitter on my CCR bottles. But if I did, I would still put an SPG on it as well. Transmitters fail, and not knowing my gas pressure will scrub dives. I suppose I could talk myself into it if I always carried fallback SPG's for my O2 and DIL tanks to install as needed.

This conversation has taken place about 1,000x’s on here. Modern transmitters are as or more reliable than SPG’s. At least you’ll know if your transmitter fails…you might not know that your SPG needle is stuck for a little bit….

Ok so this might be a total rookie/newbie question.

I hear of people putting transmitters on there dil and O2 tanks and I'm wondering why? So far sorb has definitely been limiting and that is with O2 bottles that are not starting at 3442 psi.

With OC I like my transmitter because I have all my data in one place, so far with CCR I really haven't been monitoring gas supply anywhere near as much.

So in short why use transmitters on your on-board gasses?
1) The pressures are displayed on the Nerd and, if you have one, a Petrel 3.

2) Gas pressures on CCR are secondary information. Should you not be monitoring them (tut tut), when the pressures drop below the threshold, the Nerd will alert you.

3) These pressures are logged by the Shearwater cloud application so you have a permanent record for comparison**.

4) A digital display should be clearer if checking for leaks (made this problem much easier to diagnose when the BOV mouthpiece leaked up the loop cover, showing bubbles but no clear way of where they came from)

5) AI transmitters gets rid of danglies; two SPGs and long hoses which get in the way and can be broken if the unit is dropped on them. This is what happened to my box and the reason I switched to transmitters.

6) AI transmitters are neat and tidy and work very well on the Revo

** For example:
A) I can definitively know how much gas I need for a dive by looking at the actual gas I used on all the others.
B) I can clearly see that when doing deeper dives with a hypoxic diluent that I used a lot more gas before I added the diluent ADV shutoff valve. Subsequent to that a 2h+ dive only used less than 50 bar of both dil & oxygen; prior to that it was a lot more as the ADV would inject during a flush and dilute the oxygen.

Why not use QC6 connectors on your bailout which is plumbed into your BOV?

These are really easy to use, you can connect/disconnect in the water, and you're breathing from the bailout cylinder, so lots of gas available. In the dreaded CO2 hit, you've at least a few minutes of good gas as you get the heck out of Dodge.

What I find scary about using diluent is to risk a far bigger problem: loosing all your diluent, your buoyancy, worse still another huge issue within a minute of bailing out during a really bad time.

SPG, however, still have a role. I believe some instructors may require you to have them while taking a class. Not sure if that is a hard rule.

In any case, @formernuke, check out some setups in a thread I've referenced earlier. On rEvos, you can route the hoses from the first stages, along the sorb cassette housing and then under the plate that holds weights; then put your SPGs there. You will need 50cm or so hoses. They can be tough to find, but Tecme sells them and can do custom lengths, too.

Back
Top Bottom