Transmitters on O2 and dil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel is seriously teaching run them to your crotch? Thats par for the course I guess. I personally didn't run any spgs on neither my oxygen or suit inflation bottle (no onboard dil) and could care less. I eventually added a transmitter for dives over 4 -5 hours. But at the end of the day an spg isn't really a necessity at least on oxygen (onboard dil is just stupid imo so I'm leaving that out here). I just checked pressures as part of my predive ritual at the dive site. A button gauge would do the same thing. I like the transmitters, but would be just as fine without them. Unless I'm running very hypoxic dil, if I run out of oxygen dives over and its not a big deal. Its nice to be able to see if its leaking, but still not a big deal.

Spgs on your crotch sounds dumb

Mel is seriously teaching run them to your crotch? Thats par for the course I guess. I personally didn't run any spgs on neither my oxygen or suit inflation bottle (no onboard dil) and could care less. I eventually added a transmitter for dives over 4 -5 hours. But at the end of the day an spg isn't really a necessity at least on oxygen (onboard dil is just stupid imo so I'm leaving that out here). I just checked pressures as part of my predive ritual at the dive site. A button gauge would do the same thing. I like the transmitters, but would be just as fine without them. Unless I'm running very hypoxic dil, if I run out of oxygen dives over and its not a big deal. Its nice to be able to see if its leaking, but still not a big deal.

Spgs on your crotch sounds dumb
Can't speak for the OP.

On a rEvo, you have two main options for SPGs. Stick with shorter hoses and have SPGs close to your shoulders. They won't dangle much, but may be hard to read. If you go with longer hoses, there is bit more room for dangling, so you have to figure out where you want them. You can run a bungee through your crotch ring and attach them there. I've seen a similar setup on Meg divers.

You can run a bungee through your crotch ring and attach them there. I've seen a similar setup on Meg divers.
You sure that's for their SPGs and not to hold their counterlungs down?

You sure that's for their SPGs and not to hold their counterlungs down?
I've seen both. Again, I am not a Meg diver, so can't speak to the exact setup.

I've seen both. Again, I am not a Meg diver, so can't speak to the exact setup.

That's definitely not SOP for any unit I have seen. Had many different units be taught Infront of me over the years.. I've never seen spgs extend much beyond the FMCL, let alone rarely when TOS lungs are used they're not super long. Perhaps a skewed bottle placement and short stature could exaggerate the scenario. I run a charter And I see a lot of divers who have otscl /fmcl use bungees for the lungs. Many times the spg hoses are fastened to the lungs however

I dive a Choptima, and I do the belt-and-suspenders thing: both a transmitter and button SPG on the onboard O2 bottle. The button is great for quick pre-/post-dive checks and the positive-pressure test on buildout, and the transmitter lets me log my O2 usage on the NERD. Plus, in the unlikely event that I need to check my O2 bottle's status, I can do it via in-my-face electronics rather than craning my neck to see a gauge.

I dive a Choptima, and I do the belt-and-suspenders thing: both a transmitter and button SPG on the onboard O2 bottle. The button is great for quick pre-/post-dive checks and the positive-pressure test on buildout, and the transmitter lets me log my O2 usage on the NERD. Plus, in the unlikely event that I need to check my O2 bottle's status, I can do it via in-my-face electronics rather than craning my neck to see a gauge.

I would not run both though; I believe in one or the other.

I will second that reading the O2 on a Chop can be a serious PITA and that a transmitter might be a good idea. I put a slightly longer hose on the spg and it helps but If I had money to throw at the problem I wouldn’t mind a transmitter.

ETA: I would not run both, it's either a transmitter or an SPG

If you dive a JJ, SPG's are a PITA. For a boom drill you're really bending over to look at your gauges on the bottom of your wing during a stressful moment. If instead, you pull them loose on their long hoses (as designed, the Velcro pulls free), then they're impossible to stuff back in place afterward. A minor design flaw in the JJ.

Transmitters are just so much easier.

Plus the other stuff above.

On a Revo, the two SPGs have long hoses and clip nicely "DIR style" to the LH and RH waist D-rings.

Transmitters are a lot easier, especially with a Nerd.

No, I will grant that one. Maybe just because I'm so new I'm not really seeing a huge plus to switching to transmitters. Especially since I would still maintain backup spgs
For some reason I was wondering how weird it would be if you entangle a line on a SPG attached to your crotch ring …

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom