Using transmitters on a rEvo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm found an interesting post from way back:

Basically it seems one can pair the transmitter with more than one computer at the time. So say you have it paired with nerdy, but also carry another computer compatibile with MA8H units, then not an issue, as both can show transmitter data. Well, perhaps this needs testing.... sadly have not gotten 2nd Shearwater yet ;/

The MA8H is just a transmitter. It has no idea who is listening. One way communication. Think of it as a radio station broadcasting. No idea if there is a single listener or the whole town is listening.

The computer pairing is simply tuning to the radio station. If it can hear the station, it can give you the song (data). If out of range, or the signal is blocked (transmitters at your butt and the receiver in your face, signal not getting through your rebreather and your body) you don't get to listen.

You could set extra pairing to your buddys transmitters and if you got close to them you could read there data and not cause any interference doing so.

Am I right in thinking that if you have to bail out, you loose the ability to read onboard tank pressure as the tank pressure read out is on the NERD?
During bailout, the Nerd is difficult to use if breathing from a standard regulator — obviously easy if using a BOV. The loop is under your chin and the Nerd is hard to handle. I find that to see/use the Nerd, e.g. change from CC to OC, it is easier to unclip the Nerd from the loop, maybe unwind the cable one turn, then you can use it two-handed off the loop and view it with one hand.

The wrist mounted Petrel is easier to use and more obvious. Need to actively remember to switch over the Nerd as it’s out of your immediate vision.

For deeper, more adventurous dives I’ll wear the Perdix on the other wrist and have that in CC mode set to 1.2. Would be nice if it were an air integrated version so could read the transmitters. But it’s not. Oooh, a Teric— shiny shiny, maybe a reason to get one :cool:

Reading on board pressures is about as low on my bail out list as thinking about what I will have for dinner tomorrow night. Bailed out, not using the gasses that are being monitored, nothing to worry about monitoring. Maybe a post dive investigation?

The bail out starts with getting breathable gas, next is to change the petrel (wrist) to BO. Next is change the NERD to BO. I just leave the NERD on the loop. The Petrel is my primary BO computer and use that for the exit. NERD is backup BO computer. Pull the loop down and take a look at it to confirm there is close to a match between both computers while hanging on deco. Being on the loop (the NERD, not my breathing) it is easy to find and not a dangly.

At this point you are not continuing the dive, you have had a major failure and time to head home. If you planned the dive correctly you have enough bail out. Not like you are off doing a recreational dive and need to watch the remaining air. You finish your deco and get out of the pool.

At this point you are not continuing the dive, you have had a major failure and time to head home. If you planned the dive correctly you have enough bail out. Not like you are off doing a recreational dive and need to watch the remaining air. You finish your deco and get out of the pool.

Your not continuing the dive, but you may have alot of deco to do and it may be neccessary to go back on the loop, dependant on the problem.

I had a look at buying a secondhand Choptima with just a Nerd for the controller. I concluded I'd have to buy a whole new petrel wrist mounted controller, to make a go of the unit for the way I wanted to dive it, Haven't pulled the trigger yet but new Choptima was cheaper.

The MA8H is just a transmitter. It has no idea who is listening. One way communication. Think of it as a radio station broadcasting. No idea if there is a single listener or the whole town is listening.

The computer pairing is simply tuning to the radio station. If it can hear the station, it can give you the song (data). If out of range, or the signal is blocked (transmitters at your butt and the receiver in your face, signal not getting through your rebreather and your body) you don't get to listen.

You could set extra pairing to your buddys transmitters and if you got close to them you could read there data and not cause any interference doing so.

And this is the answer I was hoping for :) Thanks!

It depends...

1. When I bail out, I generally tuck the loop under my chin and don't let it float free

2. I dive with a Teric as an "oh ****" off-board computer with an internal set point that also displays the tank pressures

Also, if you have bailed out, I'm not sure how important the on-board tank pressures are?

- brett

Brett, could you share your Teric config? Presume, you use Teric only as a deco w internal setpoint to 0.7.

Brett, could you share your Teric config? Presume, you use Teric only as a deco w internal setpoint to 0.7.

Sure. I posted an article earlier in the thread and linked to a detailed post about the settings I use on all three computers. It is two years old and I've changed a couple small things, but it is essentially the same. I'll repost the link below.

In terms of your question, I run the Teric at an internal set point of 1.3 (or whatever I'm using on the bottom). I don't bother with changing set points on the Teric and the short period of time during descent that I'm not at 1.3 doesn't really make a big difference. The Teric is usually within a minute of my other computer with the same GF.

If you ran the Teric at 0.7, it wouldn't accurately reflect your deco profile if you are usually running your controller at 1.2 or 1.3.

Here is the post I mentioned:

- brett

Why not have the Teric autoswitch setpoint to 1.3 like on 20 meters?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom