Using transmitters on a rEvo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3L*200ish bar of pressure = 600ish liters of gas.
The tanks are rated at atmospheric pressure, not how much is crammed into them.

So you use 120l for 2 hours but only have 3??? Or did I read the consumption wrong
It’s 3 litres pumped (for simplicity) to 200 bar meaning there’s 3 x 200 = 600 litres. In reality the pressure is normally greater.

So loads of gas available. Fine for shallow, but don’t like to start a deeper dive without decent pressure — just plays on my mind during the dive.

I find it hard to justify buying transmitters when i usually have far more gas avaialable than I consume- esp with off boarding options - whats the advantage other than having your spg hoses removed

I find it hard to justify buying transmitters when i usually have far more gas avaialable than I consume- esp with off boarding options - whats the advantage other than having your spg hoses removed
For me? O2 pressure straight into the eyeball. Just another reminder. That's it. A transmitter is a small price to pay.

I know I have enough gas when I start. On OC I always watched the pressure gauge. Once CCR I had to remember to look at it every once in a while. To the point that if there was a problem I probably wasn't paying enough attention to it. Wasn't going to go without and I hated the clutter it created.

Adding the transmitters took that away. Got rid of some clutter. I wasn't gearing up only to find the pressure gauge slipped out of its place and was now wedged between my back and the rebreather (did that a few times) The NERD is right in front of me with all the information I need, including that little tidbit of gas pressure isn't doing anything funky. With such a small volume I don't want to be caught off gaurd with a small leak that goes un-noticed. I do a fair bit of solo so there isn't that extra set of eyes on things. The second things is the data logging. I know what I started, what I ended with. I can watch where it gets used. A lot gets used at the start of the dive. If it turns into a saw tooth profile, how much did that burn into my gas reserves? You can learn how much saw tooth you can do and not worry about it, and when you realize you should have brought OC gear instead.

For me? O2 pressure straight into the eyeball. Just another reminder. That's it. A transmitter is a small price to pay.
I get it but i dont see the need -if Im doing a 90min RT theres no way im using 200bar of 02 - yes if your down below 100bar its an advantage but even then, you will have enough dive history to know the safe zone before it comes down to doing a check on your SPG -If Im on a boat and were staying out for SI then i take an extra bottle to swap over (if im below 100Bar)
I know I have enough gas when I start. On OC I always watched the pressure gauge. Once CCR I had to remember to look at it every once in a while. To the point that if there was a problem I probably wasn't paying enough attention to it. Wasn't going to go without and I hated the clutter it created.

Adding the transmitters took that away. Got rid of some clutter. I wasn't gearing up only to find the pressure gauge slipped out of its place and was now wedged between my back and the rebreather (did that a few times)

thats probably the only reason id get the transmitters- i do have a regimented gearing up system but you still get caught out now and again
I do a fair bit of solo so there isn't that extra set of eyes on things. The second things is the data logging. I know what I started, what I ended with. I can watch where it gets used. A lot gets used at the start of the dive. If it turns into a saw tooth profile, how much did that burn into my gas reserves? You can learn how much saw tooth you can do and not worry about it, and when you realize you should have brought OC gear instead.
so if you see where you use more gas in a sawtooth do you reduce the sawtooth or take more gas - My standard wrecks dive is as sawtooth as they come and and im still 100% confidant i will have enough over 90 minutes when i start with full tanks- I do concede that on the second dive if im low on dil ill plug in to my offbaord just incase - but once again I usually carry an extra tank and/or whip if were staying out

so if you see where you use more gas in a sawtooth do you reduce the sawtooth or take more gas - My standard wrecks dive is as sawtooth as they come and and im still 100% confidant i will have enough over 90 minutes when i start with full tanks- I do concede that on the second dive if im low on dil ill plug in to my offbaord just incase - but once again I usually carry an extra tank and/or whip if were staying out
Reduce sawtooth, quit chasing OC divers. Think twice about a bounce dive setting the anchor on a deep site... Sometimes you just need a reminder how much that sawtooth profile wastes gas.

• Cleans up the front. No danglies. Cant set the unit down on the gauges.
  • Simplicity. Its ever so gently in your face in the third O2 sensor location (Nerd has only two cells); what else would go there?
  • Logging. Completes the information about the dive. I want to reduce gas consumption as a longer term goal.
  • I like it. Am very happy with it and find it convenient and useful.

Measured the hoses. Was indeed wrong and corrected the length of the hoses. It is 55cm/22" (not 50cm)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom