Asking advice: Suunto Dx with Transmitter for USD 700 - Bad deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone! Due to family issues, I had to stop diving after just a few trips many years ago, but now I'm finally able to start to get wet again.
I was looking for a dive computer since my old Mosquito was lent out and never returned and found the above deal from an authorized retailer. Apparently its a clearance sale as Suunto Dx is no longer available in this country and the distributor is clearing stocks. For USD700, its the cheapest deal I can find on an air integrated dive computer with transmitter.
However, when I went to another dive shop to get other stuff, I was discussing this purchase and the shop owner told me to run far, far away from the deal as service support is abysmal, there have been several cases of the item breaking down unreasonably and since it was discontinued, upkeep in future would be unpredictable especially as Suunto has been sold off to another company. He advised me to buy a Shearwater Teric instead

I would like to ask for your opinions: Is the item really that bad that it should be avoided like the plague? I know about the conservative algo and decompression lockout, although I'm fine with conservative (I have an unreasonable fear of the bends) and I don't intend to go anywhere near decompression limits. USD700 is probably the cheapest, by far, that I can find for an air integrated dive computer with transmitter. A shearwater Teric plus transmitter would cost me, locally, at least twice the amount and a Garmin three times that.

My intention is to dive strictly within no decompression limits and not push it and I don't see myself going "technical" My reason for wanting an air transmitter is because when I used to dive, I recall once or twice I came up with low ( but not dangerously so)air because I got engrossed watching the fishies and corals, so something on my wrist would be far more accessible than my console dangling off me.

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

Suunto gets a bad rap in general due to issues with their depth sensor failures of their dive computers in the past. They continued to market and sell their computers despite knowing of the problem and left their customers no choice but to seek remedy by way of a class action lawsuit that was eventually settled...at least in the USA, purchasers of failed Suunto dive computers, in Europe, Asia, South America, etc., got nothing, where as Suunto provided replacements for a period of time for purchasers in the US.

Suunto was bough by Huish Outdoors a small handful of years ago.

Suunto's transmitters were recalled for inspection a few years ago due to an issue where the cover could catastrophically fail, particularly when open a tank valve. There were very few verified reports of failure (4 or less if my memory is correct) but Suunto instituted a voluntary recall where they inspected and replaced the cover and installed a new battery and o-ring at the same time, free of charge. When the transmitter was sent back they also included a pair of flow restrictors (one for if attaching the transmitter to a hose, and one if attaching directly to the 1st stage) to be inserted when installing the transmitter on a 1st stage. The replacement covers have a white "O" printed/silk screened onto one side of the cover.

One concern about Suunto transmitters is that the cover is held on by 4 self tapping screws. Technically, the cover is supposed to be replaced when the battery is replaced. Suunto used to sell kits that contained a 3v 1/2AA battery, a new cover and an o-ring for the cover. Huish pulled the kits off the market and have yet to make them available again...this means one is forced to pay a dive shop for the parts and labor to change the battery...or chance reusing the cover hoping the screws will continue to hold in their holes once tightened down. Other companies make their transmitters with screws that tighten into metal inserts so they can be loosened and retightened without the risk of ripping out under the high pressure the transmitter sees when the tank valve is opened.

Another concern is that Suunto transmitters use a 3v 1/2AA battery which is a very uncommon battery size and not easily sourced when traveling. There are basically 2 major makers of 1/2AA batteries, Saft and Varta. Saft 1/2AA batteries are 3.5v and are not compatible with Suunto's transmitters despite the fact they will fit, using them can wreck the transmitter. Varta 1/2AA batteries are 3v and are safe to use. Most other brands use batteries that are much easier to find in almost any locale.

My wife and I each dive with Suunto Vyper Air computers and Suunto transmitters. We did not pay anywhere close to retail for them as we bought them used a bunch of years ago. Knock on wood, we have not had any problems with them...yet.

Given the history of issues with Suunto dive computers and the things I hi-lit above about their transmitters, my recommendation would be to look at computers and transmitters that you can easily source batteries for and replace yourself. If you can attach a regulator to a tank, you should also have the technical/mechanical apptitude to turn a screwdriver to change a battery. The fact that Suunto continues to produce their transmitters with a design that requires parts replacement any time the device is opened is a bit ludicrous.

-Z

I know about the conservative algo and decompression lockout
You don't want to be in the middle of a dream vacation, and unable to dive, because the operator will not let you dive with a locked computer. 🔓

Thanks everyone for your opinions, and especially Zef for such a detailed reply! Times have certainly changed since I was last underwater! :)
So I get the idea to avoid Suunto would be the unanimous opinion.
Now perhaps I should go dive-computer less for a while (shallow dives anyway), or perhaps not go for the next trip to save the extra money for a Shearwater.

The above is incorrect.

In May of 2022, Chinese technology company Liesheng acquired Suunto from Amer Sports. Huish Outdoors is the US distributor of Suunto dive products only.

Suunto does deserve a bad rap for the pressure transducer issue. Of course many do not remember UWATEC/Johnson Outdoors deco issue.

That said, and while I dive with an AI Perdix made by Shearwater that is over kill for your described diving needs. Look at the non AI Peregrine and learn to pay better attention to your gas supply.

So I get the idea to avoid Suunto would be the unanimous opinion.
Now perhaps I should go dive-computer less for a while (shallow dives anyway), or perhaps not go for the next trip to save the extra money for a Shearwater.
Yep. Skipping Suunto would be a good idea.

Another option would be to look at something like an Oceanic Geo Air. It’s just a bit more than the Suunto you were considering. Transmitter included. And the transmitter will work with the Shearwater should you go that route in the future.

...Suunto was bough by Huish Outdoors a small handful of years ago...
Hi @Feeling The Pressure

Suunto is owned by the Chinese technology company, Lieshing. Huish Outdoors is the US, Canada, Caribbean distributor for the Suunto Outdoor line and provides sales and service.

For a variety of reasons, I would also shy away from Suunto. There are many AI computers available, here is a list for the US, I don't know what is available to you.

If Huish/Oceanic products are available to you, you may want to look at the Geo Air. One of the least expensive computer/transmitter combinations, it runs DSAT, a liberal deco algorithm, and PZ+, a moderate deco algorithm. The transmitter is compatible with Shearwater products, should you decide on one later.

Best of luck to you in your diving

Edit: I see that @Scared Silly and @Belzelbub were posting as I typed :)

No, it wasn't at all. Huish has the distribution right for Suunto in the US but isn't the owner of Suunto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom