Transferring air from 1 tank to another

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey anything to save a buck and I'm worth more dead than alive. :D

I'm not talking about drilling one I would dive with.

The good news we have deduced that there is not any kind of reverse flow restrictor built in to the 1st stage.

I'm brain storming.

I do appreciate your feedback. But should probably move this topic to the DIY board where folks expect this kind of crazy talk.

I find a transfer whip with a guage to be very useful. I generally dive large steel tanks and can whip enough into my kids 63 cu-ft tank for us both to get a decent dive, plus i can fill his non oxygen clean tank with nitrox. He keeps bugging me for when he will be old enough to get his tank filled all the way at the dive shop.

If you really want to go cheap, you might look for an old suicide bar which was the type of manifold we used a long time ago.

Just took a shower and hit me I can sacrifice to unused junk 1st stages remove the piston and internal guts and hook high pressure hose up to low pressure ports with out even drilling and then put a bleeder hose on another port. "WANTED 1 or 2 JUNK REG non funcition 1st stage"

That was easy!:wink:

Her tank will be filled at dive shop the first time this will be used to refill (or will it at 5 dollars a fill I could save 4 dollars by filling her tank from 80's) Now that just funny I don't care who you are!!!

You REALLY need to be careful when messing with high pressure hoses and fittings. This isn't like working on pneumatic tools in the garage. A blown HP hose hooked up to a high flow rate source of air will beat you to a pulp, before it hurts, Could even take out an eye and conceivably cut you and inject high pressure air idirectly nto your circulatory system giving you an embolism.

As noted above $148, with FREE shipping! And NO embolism!

I want pics when things start going BAM. Please do not allow your kids near you when attempting this type of DIY. And make sure your life and disability insurances are paid up.:shakehead: Just how old is she and who did your certifications that you would even consider drilling a reg out. He needs slapped.

Would you care to explain what you think could go wrong??? Like , exactly where do you think the camera should be aimed? Just so we can objectively look at the real risks rather than unnecessarily bring the kids into this.

I suspect that the only real risk is a leak. No BAM, no BOOM.

You REALLY need to be careful when messing with high pressure hoses and fittings. This isn't like working on pneumatic tools in the garage. A blown HP hose hooked up to a high flow rate source of air will beat you to a pulp, before it hurts, Could even take out an eye and conceivably cut you and inject high pressure air idirectly nto your circulatory system giving you an embolism.

But is that any different than any HP hose connected to an SPG or any equalizer hose purchased from a shop? With the small HP hole in each 1st stage port, would that hose whip around more than an LP hose with it higher flow volume?

OOPS. Sorry, I did not read The post about pushing HP gas through LP ports. Yres, that is probably getting into the real bad idea area.

3000 lbs is 3000 lbs no matter how much volume is moving through it. Yes? If freezing were a concern that would slow down the flow. If heat where a concern (don't see how that could happen) then you could slow the volumne by adjusting the flow with the tank knobs. And I doubt there is any difference in the hose on the whip but I can check with with some experts on the hose.

since it's being asked the wall of the reg is just as thick at the lp port as iit is at the hp port. The reg is made from a billet the holes are drilled for placement based upon where they need to be for pressure either not reduced or reduced by the piston.

It seems to me the lp port and hp port are merrly seperated by the piston that allow air to migrate from one to the other.

Now you wouldn't hook up a lp hose and push hp pressure through it.

But again if the reg at this point is no longer a reg but just a yoke holding an hp hose how is it any different than the whip. It's just a whip with more ports that are now sealed off unless I put an spg on it.

I didn't clearly make the distinction once we moved from standard reg (drilling holes etc) I'm no longer talking about any function reg just the reg bodies attached with no funcitoning piston.

And I would still hook this up to the the 2 high pressure ports and let it equal out on it's on if it only took an an hour or 2 and make no changes to the regs.

Guess you all don't want to join in on the snow sledding behind the golf cart! Which by the way we have been snowed in for days now and that almost never happens here in ky so we are getting a little crazy. Next I'm gonna build a pony bottly from the fire extenquisher under the sink.

:coffee:

Last edited:
Messing with high pressure air in these types of situations without fully understanding what one is doing can have disastrous consquences. What if he uses an LP hose by mistake? What if he does drill a reg and weaken it so that the metal is overly stressed? Putting 3000 psi into that could create a grenade like object. HP air is nothing to be cavalier about. Using the wrong fitting can result in it blowing and beating the crap out of who ever is near.

Messing with high pressure air in these types of situations without fully understanding what one is doing can have disastrous consquences. What if he uses an LP hose by mistake? What if he does drill a reg and weaken it so that the metal is overly stressed? Putting 3000 psi into that could create a grenade like object. HP air is nothing to be cavalier about. Using the wrong fitting can result in it blowing and beating the crap out of who ever is near.

Divers are cavalier with 3000 psi regularly as they are taught no different (some might srill be taught, erroneously, to turn the face of the SPG away from them). The idea of drilling a 1st stage was not posted prior to your excessive warning (but maybe you saw that coming). The truth is that if you rig something up using HP hoses and HP adapters, the biggest risk beyond the risk we all take every time we open a valve to a 3000 psi gas source is that a connection may leak and gas will be lost.

Back
Top Bottom