Transferring air from 1 tank to another

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shogan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok my daughter will be using a 50 cf tank. They are harder to come by and thus more expensive than just an 80. So my question is what do I need to move air from 1 tank to another. Yes I realize it won't fill up as the bleed will stop when each tank is the same psi. Thats ok we are just doing shallow water diving. So if we go for 15 min or 30 min it's ok. But it will come down to why hall 2 50 cf tanks and 2 80's when I can hall 3 80's and 1 50. At 53lbs and 4'6" tall unless she's freezing I bet she sucks down half a 50 in the same time I suck down an 80.

If the cost is a hundred bucks well I guess I'll just buy a 2nd 50 and be done with it. But if the cost is more like $25 then hey that makes sense.

What he said. But you will be very lucky to find one for less than 100 bucks. Mine was used and I paid 125 and think it was good deal. Course it's DIN and has a nice gauge on it. Most good new ones are around 180 or so from what I've seen. Tnhat one from LP is ok but no gauge. If that's not a problem go for it.

If you can scroung up a couple of old used tank pressure checkers have NAPA make you a HP hose with 1/4" pipe thread ends, remove the gauges and install the hose in the pressure checkers.

uh I'm sure there is a perfectly good reason why not but is it possible just to hook a high pressure hose up to 2 1st stages?

Because I have a 1st stage that is perfect for 1 side of this build. And it seems I could put a quick release valve on her 2nd hp port and then all I need is to get a hp hose with quick disconnect.

Seems I would need to add a bleeder of some kind from the host 1st stage so I could set that up easy enough with a junky reg or something.

Thanks for info. Someone stop me before I blow up the house!

You can hook up a HP hose to two regs, and transfer air between two tanks, I've done it. It takes a fitting which fits the female end of the hose and has a male 7/16" on the other end. Couv was nice enough to get me one a while back, resourceful and generous chap that he is.

Just put a second stage on one of the regs as a way of bleeding out the air. It transfers air very slowly due to the flow restrictor.

Remove the plug or hose from your first stage's hi pressure port and look at the size of the hole through which the gas transfer will have to flow. Typically the hole is tiny and you'll have to wait quite a while for the transfer to finish.

any idea on how long quite a while is. If we are talking 1 hour that reasonable. If we are talking 12 hours then that for overnight only.

CENSORED for the protection of those that don't think before they drill as to wweather or not what they are drilling would compromise structural integrity. Childrend don't try this at home. DAGNER WILL ROBINSON. There is a ton of dacor regs on ebay selling for pennies.

thanks for the post of a new one I just don't need a guage and it's not worth it for that kind of money to me. I would just buy another 50cf tank. But for $25 dollars if I can hook her tank up to an 80 while we have lunch go get an ice cream puts around and put some more air in her tank so she can dive another 30 minutes then hey I can do that.

Last edited:
I want pics when things start going BAM. Please do not allow your kids near you when attempting this type of DIY. And make sure your life and disability insurances are paid up.:shakehead: Just how old is she and who did your certifications that you would even consider drilling a reg out. He needs slapped.

Back
Top Bottom