To the OW divers I "met" at Jackson Blue last weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to mention, Donna and Sam would never live it down if they let their SB dive buddy go into a cave alone after a couple of OW divers and I didn't make it back out. :)

When the diver with the board shorts and no exposure suit told us two, not one, of his friends went into the cavern, Donna and I decided to descend back down and head into the cavern to look for them and you. We saw their lights and yours headed out of the cavern as we descended.

Prior to our weekend, Donna and I discussed the fact we'd have to quit ScubaBoard and move to some unknown country in some unknown remote part of the world if you were injured/died on our watch. We'd never be able to show our faces in the dive community!!!!! :crying:

Uh, I care. I wonder if those guys were SB'ers. If I didn't parooze through these theads and read this kind of info on a daily basis, odds are I would be a more careless diver.

Unlikely they were SB'ers. As you suggest, those of us who start spending time here as they learn to dive are more likely to take spend the time and effort to train first. We are not the folks taking the weekend "executive" OW course, but the ones who look for the long course - and the instructor who requires more of us. When I looked for a cavern course, i chose based on recommendations and the fact that my instructor required 6 dives and three days and extra drills. Best and most demanding course I've taken - and learned a bit about how little I still know. I hope those guys have some idea how lucky they are you were there, CD. Thank you on their family's behalf.

Uh, I care. I wonder if those guys were SB'ers. If I didn't parooze through these theads and read this kind of info on a daily basis, odds are I would be a more careless diver.

I wonder that myself, I'm a fairly new diver, yet I've seen some things that make wonder about other divers. Not sure whether it's that they don't care, don't know, or what. I just wonder if I'm a bit more conscientious because of reading this board or not. The question came up a few weeks ago on our trip to Belize, The whole group had noticed other divers and the way they behaved.

I'm not sure what the right way is to keep someone from doing something very dangerous when authority is lacking. I suspect it is a matter of the right mixture of education and condemnation but I doubt if the same mix will work for all. I hope your approach worked.

Coercion of a positive nature is more effective then being forceful, condescending, insulting or threatening.
"A teaspoon of sugar works better then vinegar to get the medicine down."
Ultimately -
If it's not the cave it could be the car accident the next day and if that person's number is up, you can't stop the Reaper man!
Let's just hope it happens before they breed children.

few more comments about what happened . . .

Sam was the first to recognize the situation for what it was "heeyyyyy, those are vacation divers"

Mr Boardshorts was waving off his buddy, "I'm not going in there" while he was kneeling on the bottom at the entrance. So now he has no buddy and looks like he is hoovering, checked his gauge twice in like 2 minutes. I flash him an ok, he responds ok, eyes wide in his mask, so maybe not so ok

meanwhile CD goes in for what seems like a long time and Mr BS is backingup the slope and now standing up. I swim over within a foot of him, another ok is returned. Still no CD and his buddy. I signal him to surface and have a chat. I tell him our friend went in after his friend because he did not have the proper equipment to be in the cave, in a slightly irritated manner. He looks a bit concerned at this point. He says he's got 2 friends in there and a round of expletives comes out. He looks a bit more concerned now. I'm thinking CD may be good, dunno if he's THAT good to handle 2 dingbats who have now been in there too long in my opinion.

I call out to Sam there are 2, she flashes an "oh ****" look and shouts ****. I tell Mr BS, now we need to go in and to keep his ass above water.

Sam asks "run a line?" and here is where I am embarrassed to say, I used very poor judgement. I figure, we just spent 3 days and a bunch of dives here, they are probably in the cavern zone, there are already 3 lines to open water, and because we are slow as molasses as newbie cave divers at running lines, my response? "**** that." I know, cringe. But that is what happened, I am not proud, but I think to not mention it is too convenient. Before we entered, we saw them exiting, so we did not have to suffer the possible results of my crappy decision. Making me think though . . . amazing what one is willing to consider when you think one of your buds may be in trouble. Sam expressed it a bit, but really, it was kinda scary, especially for my newbie self :shakehead:

might as well go put on my flame suit . . .

Donna

. . . amazing what one is willing to consider when you think one of your buds may be in trouble. Sam expressed it a bit, but really, it was kinda scary, especially for my newbie self :shakehead:

might as well go put on my flame suit . . .

Donna

Well I am just an ordinary OW diver, so take this for what it is worth...which isnt much, luckily its free:D

Firstly, if this is to be a learning experience for you, flames need not apply.

Second, unless there is a permanent line running to OW, always run your own line, never trust some one else to leave you a path.

Third, unless you are trained to rescue people, or rescue them in a cave, leave that to the experts. I know what it feels like to want to help, and how bad it is to stand by feeling like a turd, but unless you know exactly what you are doing chances are you will make a mistake somewhere along the line. Besides you had a stressed out diver already, so you were a big help with that. Had you not intervened and taken control of Mr. BS he may well have decided to go in after all.

Im sure you know all this already, I see it in your post, but I thought Id throw it out there anyway.

Good job by all involved.

Now the 2 that went in, they could use some flames...

If they have even an ounce of wisdom they will realize they made a mistake that could have been very, very bad. And that your intervention was more than warranted.
Probably not tho, and that kind of stupidity often has only one sure fire cure. Wish they would exercise their stupidity in some other sport though, so it does not impact on the reputation of ours, when they do eventually receive their "cure".

Well I am just an ordinary OW diver, so take this for what it is worth...which isnt much, luckily its free:D

Firstly, if this is to be a learning experience for you, flames need not apply.

Second, unless there is a permanent line running to OW, always run your own line, never trust some one else to leave you a path.

Third, unless you are trained to rescue people, or rescue them in a cave, leave that to the experts. I know what it feels like to want to help, and how bad it is to stand by feeling like a turd, but unless you know exactly what you are doing chances are you will make a mistake somewhere along the line. Besides you had a stressed out diver already, so you were a big help with that. Had you not intervened and taken control of Mr. BS he may well have decided to go in after all.

Im sure you know all this already, I see it in your post, but I thought Id throw it out there anyway.

Good job by all involved.

Now the 2 that went in, they could use some flames...

yep, I knew better on the line . . . it was not a matter of feeling useful really . . . rescue was not what I had in mind, perhaps a bit of air sharing though :wink: I did not change Mr BS's mind about going in, but he was probably relieved we were there so it wasn't a decision he had to deal with if his friends didnt show up . . .

Sam asks "run a line?" and here is where I am embarrassed to say, I used very poor judgement.

I didn't stop to put a line in either. As you mentioned there were 3 other reels tied in at the moment and the expectation was for them to be in the cavern zone. While I do make a habit of running reels when I'm cave diving, even at higher flow caves like JB, Ginnie, or Little River, in this instance I felt a greater urgency to go after the OW divers than to add a 4th reel. Especially since I knew that a couple of the teams who had reels in place where on the surface and wouldn't be pulling them anytime soon.

You can armchair quarterback the decision if you want, and it's good to take a step back and look at the possible consequences of the actions. But take it as a learning experience and don't "what if?" your self to death about it.

Amazing story CD, and thank the good Lord you were there.

Is it that hard for people to assess the risks and make a good decision?
Is the temptation of doing something dangerous/not done previously that hard to resist?
Is this a young vs. older/experienced argument?
Is this an example of Darwin hard at work?

I don't get it. I want to live.......and dive as long as I can. Doesn't everyone feel this way?

Back
Top Bottom