To the OW divers I "met" at Jackson Blue last weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unforently you hear about this all to often. I remember years ago where the NAVY Seals came down and dove a cave...later after they recover their bodies, the NAVY had a safety stand-down and they no longer allow their divers to take dive gear out of the command to do any outside diving. THANK GOD for that! We need them to perform their duties that they were trained to do and not die in caves because they are not trained to dive in!

I heard about this in Crystal River FL in the small cave system near Banana Island when I was an AOW. Couldn't believe that they would do it. Rescue divers had to remove gear to make the recovery. For some people, there aren't enough good examples for the real possibilities to impress them.

You did them a service, whether they will ever see it that way or not. At least they will live to dive again another day.

Good job on intervening! Just like the kid I saw carving his initials into the wall of Devil's eye. His knife now resides in the Santa Fe river!

I admire all you guys that took the time to try and talk those OW divers out of risking their life. Kudos to all of you. I have been diving only 2 years and only have 97 dives under my belt. I am a 49 year old veterinarian that finally took my love of nature to the next level. I have achieved my Naui master diver because I wanted to be a responsible and safe diver. I still learn something everytime I dive and I try to never dive outside my limits. Too bad some of those other divers did not listen to someone with more experience. They don't understand that diving outside your limits can quickly cost you your life and that diving as a sport requires vigilance always.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom