Tired of DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by DuckDive
Could someone just clear up for me whether DIR principles, even from a purist's point of view, are meant to be important for non-solo rec diving in open water, above 130'?

Sorry if this has already been discussed in other threads, but there's a lot of them to look thru...

meant to be? No. They were developed by cavers for cave diving. It has been noticed, however, that many of the princeples are 'backwards compatible' so-to-speak into the rec world. Whether they are as important in that relm is obviously a question that has started more than one lively debate.

I think the best analogy I've heard is the one of a Indy race car driver: If you drive in the Indy 500, you need a helmet, fireproof suit, neck brace, etc... Could you use all of those things while driving to the grocery store on a Sunday? Yes, you could. Would your drive to the grocery store be safer overall? Yes, it would. Is it nesseccary? Well, you have to answer that last one for yourself.

Originally posted by DuckDive
Could someone just clear up for me whether DIR principles, even from a purist's point of view, are meant to be important for non-solo rec diving in open water, above 130'?
There is so much of DIR that directly applies and will improve your diving safety and enjoyment in non-solo rec diving in open water, above 130' that once you take a fundamentals class you will be amazed.

I have never heard of anyone taking the DIRF and saying that it did not improve their diving. I have heard complaints that it was too hard, but never that it wasn't an eye opening experience.

You can read all about it on the internet and even gain a lot of good pointers and become a web based DIR guru yourself... but until you've taken the DIRF, the skill component just isn't quite apparent.

There are elements of DIR that do not make intuitive sense to many divers who have not had the DIRF experience. It is probably futile to try to debate these points with on an open forum with those who are emotionally biased against DIR because they don't like the acronymn. I know it can be frustrating and that has caused some DIR advocates to respond harshly. Shoot even I'm tempted to respond harshly at times and I love you all.

So the short answer is yes... but the full answer will only become apparent when you take a DIRF.

And don't worry about asking questions that have been asked before... that's ok. We had thought about putting together a DIR FAQ but Yooper and I agreed that it would be better to field the questions each time they came up and point out other more definitive sources such as GUE and WKPP.

Feel free to ask specific questions either on the board or in PMs.

Originally posted by jetblast00
I think the best analogy I've heard is the one of a Indy race car driver
Actually Jet that is a very poor analogy...
Most of the interenet crowd focuses in on the equipment...
Shoot, you can buy the stuff online and deck yourself out to look like a DIR diver...

But the real issue is skill.

Once you take a DIRF you will see that the equipment maximizes the potential of the skilled... but a skilled DIR diver could take your run of the mill rec diver kludged together out fit and amaze you with her/his performance.

So a better analogy is who is a more skilled driver... the Indy Race car driver or the soccer mom with tons of mini-van experience?

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
or the soccer mom with tons of mini-van experience?
Sorry... I don't want to offend or denigrate any of the soccer mom's out there...
No one can match your skill when it comes to taking care of children! Certainly not an Indy race car driver.

You want a DIR death? Here you go:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t4173/s.html

He was a WKPP diver, too. He wasn't on a WKPP dive, though.

Does any of this mean diddley-squat? No.

DIR claims to be "safer." Only a fool would claim (or expect) "perfect."

Roak

While the analogy was about equip, it is applicable to skill as well.

The minimum skills you need in a cave or wreck to keep you alive are not and are higher than the minimum skills you need on a 60' reef dive off of some Carribean island. Could you use your higher skill level in El Caribe? yes. Would it make you safer overall? yes. Is it nesseccary? Again, one can only answer for oneself. That may sound a bit apathetic, but no one comes out of OW with well honed advanced skills, you have to work up to them. And the only way to do that is to dive, dive, dive. Know your skill level, and stay at or below it. Your skill level will eventualy get higher and higer.
I may choose to dive DIR, but that doens't force me to believe that every rec diver who isn't is going to die because they can't turtle kick over the reef. If one want's to push themselves to a higher level of skill but only do pretty shallow clear water rec dives, great! Good for you! if some one else doesn't see the need, and is content with a lower skill level, but adiquite for the diving they want to do, well that's ok too. A lot of divers aren't like us... they've got other stuff to do and don't want to devote their entire lives to scuba (yea... they're wierd...)
Is DIR applicable in rec diving? Yes, that's one of the nice things about it, it works anywhere. But to answer the question that was posed: Was it originaly meant for rec diving? No, that is not it's origin.

UP, judging by the way some of the soccer moms in their SUV's drive around Atlanta, you could make the assumption that they think they are in fact Indy car drivers. :D

The DIR configuration is a great system and philosophy. The gear configuration makes sense. Everything has its place. Everything has been tried and tested to see if it works. I have absolutely no complaints about the system. My only complaints would be about some of the attitudes who associate themselves with DIR. Would this keep me from diving a DIR style rig, or would this make me anti-DIR? No. If I did not do anything that had some idiots associated with it, then all I would so is sit at home in my bed all day.

Granted, there are some situations that you may need to modify or add things to your setup in some way. Is this wrong? Again in my opinion no. Well, that is as long as what you add or modified did not make a potential safety hazard for you or your team.

I also do not have a problem diving with someone who is not configured exactly like me. As long as I know there system as good as my own, it is relatively close to my setup as far as gear placement, and their system does not cause potential safety hazards to me.

I will be the first to admit that I am not a DIR diver. I do dive with many DIR basics, and placement of gear. It is mainly equipment choices that keep me from being a DIR diver I guess. I have certain preferences when it comes to my brand of equipment. I do however admit the system is a good one.

As for the DIR death that was posted, I believe that was a medical condition and he was warned not to dive. Am I correct?

A lot of divers aren't like us... they've got other stuff to do and don't want to devote their entire lives to scuba (yea... they're wierd...)

Those poor misguided people. :confused: :eek:

And the only way to do that is to dive, dive, dive. Know your skill level, and stay at or below it. Your skill level will eventualy get higher and higer.
Jet....
Taint always so....
Shoot, it's hardly ever the case....
Unless you call rototilling a skill that can be improved....

Bad habits reinforced through practice do not become good habits.

I watch the local watering hole turn into a blizzard of churned up bottom and it isn't just the newbies doin' the diggin'... the excavator in chief is often the instructor.

I have seen very *experienced* divers with well entreched habits that make me cringe.

I've also seen relatively new divers who had a proper upbringing demonstrate a mastery of skills.

But I agree with you on everything that you agree with me on!

Originally posted by Big James
My only complaints would be about some of the attitudes who associate themselves with DIR.
That isn't germane to the argument of efficacy and as you point out it would be paralyzing to let others behavior direct your life.

And yes, that pre-emptive post by Roak was concerning a medical problem that had caused a WKPP diver to be benched... and he went diving on his own anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom