Tired of DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue, I couldn't agree w/ UP more. What a GUE DIRF class will do is make YOU a better diver, and make your buddies a lot safer.

BTW, the GUE guys are traveling all over the world to teach these classes, so you're not as far away as you might think. See if any of your dive buddies are interested, and send Andrew Georgitsis a note. He's the training director for GUE ( and the guy that does most of the traveling).

Let me know if you need his email address. Or better yet, go to his website: www.scret.org

Jack

No problem. Indeed, mediocrity as a goal is not the way I wanted it to come out.

To explain further: my goal, at this point, is DM. Most probably PADI. Why it's a goal for me is based on a lot of factors, which have to balance out - it's not a clear-cut choice between the 'best' way to dive, or strokedom, with me choosing to stroke.

Even if [oops, when :wink:] I go DIR after that, I doubt I would consider my DM training as a waste of time or money. Sorry, but I just don't see it that way. All input is useful, whether I use it or not. I may also pick up a few bad habits along the way, but hopefully my brain won't allow them to be life-threatening ones (for anybody).

Yes?

You can still be a DM and DIR.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Now, I understand the attitude of some and have actually come to respect guys like Irvine.

See, now that is a big time difference between you and I. I will never understand the attitude of some. Plus, although I have enormous respect for what Irvine does as a diver, no one can argue that the man is not a gifted diver and world class, I have no respect for what he does as a person. That just goes back to me not liking the whole attitude thing. I do understand that sometimes his attitude is simply in defense of himself and his project, but I do not see a reason for it most of the time.

I do not want to turn this into a debate about Irvine though. He may dive DIR, but he is not representitive of everyone who does.

Like I have stated before, DIR is an excellent system, and you can not use the attitude of some proponents of it to make your mind up about it.

You did make one comment about gear though. I understand that their is flexibility in the gear that you can use, however with the marketing strategy of Halcyon it appears that if you do not use their gear, you can not truly be DIR. This is where I feel one of the common misconnceptions come from. A lot of people feel this same way.

Does any of this make sense?

Originally posted by DuckDive
To explain further: my goal, at this point, is DM. Most probably PADI.
Even if [oops, when :wink:] I go DIR after that, I doubt I would consider my DM training as a waste of time or money.
Yes.

One thing that you need to be aware of is the antipathy that exists in many circles toward DIR (and not entirely without provocation.)

I have heard about instructors, DMs and employees that have been fired after taking a DIRF class. I personally know one.

While it might be blamed on a bad attitude on the part of the employees I am sure that much, if not most of it can be attributed to the aversion of the other agencies to DIR.

You might want to ask around your LDS and potential instuctor base what their views are concerning DIR. If you are at all considering GUE training in the future this will at least give you an idea of what you will be up against.

This is not to say that you cannot be part of the solution. A good attitude can go along way toward changing the situation.

I wonder if there are others who feel this way….
I find some of these DIR/noDIR debates sort of refreshing. I am pleased that there are so many with a sincere desire to improve themselves and their diving. Running a dive shop I see far to many who just don’t care. By all means lets improve our skills and increase our knowledge and just for fun lets argue about the best way to do it. Debating the best way to be safe and preserve the caves, reefs, lakes and rivers where we dive can’t be a total waist of time. I also believe that JJ and others have put much effort into making a positive contribution to diving; I take my hat off to them for that. No person or system can ever be perfect so there will always be debate. Being aware of the need to improve and applying oneself to that end is probably far more important that whether our chosen system or we ever achieve perfection. However, I still had to take the reels out of my but (too hard to reach). Maybe I haven’t had enough practice reaching there.

Wendy: 'swot I was thinking... but so far I haven't heard any majorly dire reason why I shouldn't go for DM first. Sure, doing it right first time is ideal (whichever way that is), but unfortunately I don't always have that luxury <sigh>.

Uncle Pug: thanks for making me aware of that, I had no idea it was that nasty. I guess that as soon as one is obligated to tell other people how to do things (instead of just politely suggesting), it starts to get very tricky. Hmmm. I'll have to jump off that bridge when I get to it [if I ever do :rolleyes:]. Being part of a solution sounds very interesting tho'... I'll keep that in mind.

Hey Sue: did you see that trip that FarEastYankee (I think that's the name) is planning? Could be some useful info for you there.

Originally posted by DuckDive
Wendy: 'swot I was thinking

Uncle Pug: I guess that as soon as one is obligated to tell other people how to do things (instead of just politely suggesting), it starts to get very tricky.
As a DIR DM you would find yourself in a very frustrating position indeed.... DIR divers do not need DMs to *DM* their dive... and the roles DMs traditionally play will no doubt preclude the use of the long hose and other DIR configurations. But hey... babysitting rototillers can actually be fun if you look on the humorous side... :D

As for your pointed statement about those who feel "obligated to tell other people how to do things"

You will learn that you don't even have to say anything to drawn hostile fire... just showing up for work with a long hose will start the "conversation" and it will be directed at you not to you....much as your comment was directed at me instead of to me. The negativity will be apparent no matter how nice you try to be.

Wishing you the best in your endeavours to improve...

Yeah, PADI doesn't teach the long hose deployment so you would have to abide by PADI manuals and donate the octopus...

Hard to reconcile the two and hard to dive a DIR rig when teaching OW students. One of my instructors has a set of "pool gear" which is an old jacket BC in a standard rec (non-DIR) config that he dives in the pool with students and on certification dives. Catch him on a non-teaching day and he is in a backplate and wing.

however with the marketing strategy of Halcyon it appears that if you do not use their gear, you can not truly be DIR.

What exactly are you talking about? No one would say you have to buy Halcyon or any other brand of gear to be DIR. Halcyon arose to meet the need. Good ol supply and demand. Much of Halcyon is not DIR at all.

However, I still had to take the reels out of my but (too hard to reach). Maybe I haven’t had enough practice reaching there.

My understanding is that reels go in the thigh pockets for the most part. I think they have changed from the butt ring placement due to the problems you speak of. Plus you run into the ubiquitous, nefarious metal on metal connection.

Tommy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom