Tired of DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think so....
Seems kinda suspicious to me....
Spending so much time and energy complaining....
About something you are supposedly not interested in....

The more you protest the more likely you are to sucumb....
And become one of the most ardent of devotees....
Don't you know resistance is futile....
You will be assimilated....

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
However, I still had to take the reels out of my but (too hard to reach). Maybe I haven’t had enough practice reaching there.
I should hope so... just go ahead and clip it off to the butt d-ring.

Spools go in the right pocket....

Originally posted by tombiowami
My understanding is that reels go in the thigh pockets for the most part. I think they have changed from the butt ring placement due to the problems you speak of. Plus you run into the ubiquitous, nefarious metal on metal connection.

Tommy
Spools go in the pocket Tommy,
Reel goes on the butt ring....
Leave enough room between your BP & canister light to get your arm back there.

... then I'll leave it be.

By obligated, I meant that when one is being paid to pass on knowledge, eg a PADI instructor or even a DM, it could get tricky if you're a DIR advocate. Your students might end up being PADIRs [ugh :)].

Wasn't pointed anywhere near you. Now that would be foolish :wink:.

O-Ring: just caught your post. Yes, that's what I meant.

Sorry, back to reels...

I do not dive DIR, I dive GJD. That is Get the Job done. As a commercial diver, nobody pays me to dive. They pay me to get a job done. If it can be done safely I will get the job done with the available equipment. Thankfully recreational diving is much easier and more flexible so that I can choose not to dive for much less reason.

The DIR system of GUE is a great system but it does have a few problems. First is a major attitude problem. Not everyone but enough of the major players to give it a black eye. Even the book "Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving" has the attitude only thinly hidden.

The attitude is not entirely unwarranted as there are many people who want to make changes who have neither the training or experience to fully evaluate what is going on.

Now for one item of substance.

Hand signals;

In DIR the numbers six through ten are the same as one through 5 except the direction you are pointing. This can cause confusion.
How about the Navy number signals, (table 7-10b in the Navy Dive Manual) where the numbers are completely different?

DIR has the advantage of being a complete system approach to diving rather than a hodgepodge of skills and equipment.

Will I seek GUE training? Probably, but not today.
Will I shift to DIR for rec diving? Maybe, we will see.

Originally posted by Big James

See, now that is a big time difference between you and I. I will never understand the attitude of some. Plus, although I have enormous respect for what Irvine does as a diver, no one can argue that the man is not a gifted diver and world class, I have no respect for what he does as a person. That just goes back to me not liking the whole attitude thing. I do understand that sometimes his attitude is simply in defense of himself and his project, but I do not see a reason for it most of the time.

I do not want to turn this into a debate about Irvine though. He may dive DIR, but he is not representitive of everyone who does.

Like I have stated before, DIR is an excellent system, and you can not use the attitude of some proponents of it to make your mind up about it.

You did make one comment about gear though. I understand that their is flexibility in the gear that you can use, however with the marketing strategy of Halcyon it appears that if you do not use their gear, you can not truly be DIR. This is where I feel one of the common misconnceptions come from. A lot of people feel this same way.

Does any of this make sense?

Not really. Halcyon/EE was formed because no one else would make decent gear to WKPP's specs. These guys knew what the gear had to do and why, but no one wanted to listen. So they made their own and sold it. Today, DIR is the slogan for Halcyon and rightfully so.
DIR is quite flexible. It doesn't require doubles, a canister light, backup scouts, a 7' hose, etc... It is actually quite adaptable/flexible which a lot people don't realize. There are core fundemental aspects of DIR that are important (mostly the non equipment stuff).

Eventually, even the nicest guys get sick of digging dead bodies out of caves who died as the result of foolish techniques taught by "respectable" training agencies or using convulated gear reinforced by those agencies. The original DIR guys took on (and continue to take on) the entire industry because of the enormous amount of greed that superceded safety (which continues, IMO). Some guys spoke louder than others and in different tones. In that regard, I respect Irvine for having the guts to call the industry what is really is. His petty four letter words are unpleasant at times, I guess, but his message is clear. If you want a diplomat and salesman, talk to JJ.

The other part of the attitude comes from being the best of the best. This just seems to happen when you're the elite. You see it in our military and other sports. I don't care. If it works, it works. I'd rather have an arrogant SOB for a teacher who can actually backup what he says than a Mr. Nice Guy who's primary interest is maketing and sales at the expense of genuine safety. That's just me.

That's all meant. Take care.

Mike

Lets' just say the book is on order but the chances of me doing the course for now are non existent as I don't think they've made it here yet. I note from the GUE web site that JJ came out here (well Okinawa and south) and the Japanese were very interested but I think that is a far as he will get for now - due to the nature of the business out here and for no other reason.

Reading the posts it seems like I may already use a number of the recommendations but we will see when it arrives.

Jonathan

Originally posted by tombiowami

What exactly are you talking about? No one would say you have to buy Halcyon or any other brand of gear to be DIR. Halcyon arose to meet the need. Good ol supply and demand. Much of Halcyon is not DIR at all.

I understand that a lot of what Halcyon makes is not DIR, however, look at the webpage. You will see all sorts of stuff bragging on DIR. Their shirts even boast the DIR phrase along with Halcyon. It would make one who is just beginning believe that Halcyon is DIR, and DIR is Halycon.

Mike, I understand what you talking about. I respect GI for standing up to the industry, I just don't admire the way he does it. Kinda reminds me of those protestors you see at college who scream real loud. Their message is completely lost because of the way they make their point. That is why I have great respect for JJ and his diplomatic attitude.

hm - see what happens the moment I go diving for a day or two?
Sheesh - being out of work keeps me from this stuff...

Anyway - on the note of DM and DIR - I just want to toss in that a couple of my very good friends are currently slowly moving towards a DIR diving philosophy, one took the DIRF and LOVED it, they both DM for a competitor shop (TDI), one is an actual tech employee and was told loud and clrear that training from a different agency (GUE) being implied very clearly would effectively end the employment.

Other than that - I have said before that for what I know - a stroke is a person who does something against better knowledge - the reason some agencies are getting beat up by DIR divers is that they are promoting deep air dives which by now is known to not be a good idea.

Halcyon has some good DIR equip, but also have things that do NOT fit in.

Keep in mind that above all else, DIR is a philosophy of diving, the philosophy dictates certain safety procedures and the equipment spawns from that. If my old dive buddies were to walk up to me when I took a GUE class and tell me that they will no longer dive with me - I will have to wonder if I want to dive with people who are narrow minded like that?

Anyway - it seems to me that west coast DIR divers are less aggressive than some east coast ones - but I could be wrong.

UP - you coming out Sunday morning for the training? Or are you busy with an actual religion?
:wink:

Big T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom