Tired of DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanting to increase my knowledge on diving I found this board and lots of web sites. Naturally DIR popped up. Being a minimalist at heart it has some appealing aspects. I even pack excessively light trips so I like this approach to diving. Keeping it simple is usually good policy. I became interested in deeper diving because certain wrecks and places that sound interesting are below 130' so as I looked for information I found this huge raging argument. I have since gotten a BP and wings (halcyon BTW) and while it's fine, I didn't get the "I didn't know what diving was until I switched" feeling that many others have with a BP. Most DIR stuff seems logical but I am not convinced having a redundant bladder is a bad idea. It is has been fun reading the tit-for-tat back and forth threads. I just can't believe one subject can be beat in the ground so much. Please if you want to know a DIR divers opinion go to the WKPP or GUE website and get it first hand. I not taking any sides in this but there is one thing I would like the DIR types to do. Please use another word other than "convoluted" use complex or complicated. After watching the DIR videos and discovering other systems were "convoluted" this and "convoluted" that, it would be nice to hear it at least paraphrased and not parroted. So keep up the threads about where to find good deals on equipment and names of good instructors. If there is anything in diving that is too redundant it is this argument.

The reason Scuba Board is so nice is because most people here choose their words wisely. Trust me, if there was ever a place to have a good DIR debate, this is the place for it. It doesn't matter which side of the fence you're on here, everyone is treated with a certain amount of respect (most of the time :wink:). Once in a while we get a bad apple or two or someone gets a little grumpy, but compared to other boards, this place is great. I, for one, thoroughly enjoy these discussions. There ain't nothin' like a good DIR debate... it's an easy win every time for DIR advocates!

:D

Mike

Spools on the rear d-ring are not 'anti-DIR/GUE'. Your safety spool should go in your pocket but it is perfectly accepted to place spools on your rear D-ring.

Recently in a GUE class conducted by two highly respected GUE instructors (Tyler Moon and Dave Sweetin) the argument of a metal to metal connection for not placing reel/spools on back Dring came up. First this 'logic' only deals with Halcyon reels and spools. They have 2 connections so are not considered the insidious type of 'metal to metal' connection as well as purchasing/using SS quality hardware decreases the chance of failure (especially at the same time on both sides). So go ahead and butt mount your spools (I do).

Originally posted by tombiowami

What exactly are you talking about? No one would say you have to buy Halcyon or any other brand of gear to be DIR. Halcyon arose to meet the need. Good ol supply and demand. Much of Halcyon is not DIR at all.

My understanding is that reels go in the thigh pockets for the most part. I think they have changed from the butt ring placement due to the problems you speak of. Plus you run into the ubiquitous, nefarious metal on metal connection.

Tommy

I'm still waiting for proof that bungied wings are more dangerous than non bungied wings - I still won't buy that unless I can see some statistical proof......

I guess the only REAL problem I have is in saying that one gear configuration is used on all dives. What is good in a cave at 300ffw or a wreck at 200fsw is not neccesarily what is good everywhere.

I work some of the boat races here with a STARS team and the rigs we use are MINIMAL equipment. (Made by Brownie/Halcyon) with helmet, mask and short (8")fins. This lets us penetrate boats to perform a rescue on the boat's crew in the least amount of time without worrying about entanglement. It is not DIR, however it is "Doing It Right" for those conditions.

Picture:

Who cares about "statistical proof". They're a flashy gimmick. They offering nothing of significance or importance. The ONLY thing they offer is the potential for snagging, unwanted power deflation, and increased drag. That alone should be enough, right?

Yoos guyz crack me up, eh! :D

Mike

I don't think I've heard a DIR advocate yet say strict DIR is appropriate for SAR and commercial diving applications (though I've used my configuration for SAR diving with no problems). However, DIR does work superbly for recreational as well as techincal dives (with side mount being seperate).

Mike

Originally posted by maddiver
Spools on the rear d-ring are not 'anti-DIR/GUE'. Your safety spool should go in your pocket but it is perfectly accepted to place spools on your rear D-ring.

Spools on the rear d-ring are not DIR. GI just said not to today, in fact.

(Squawk!) Spools go in a pocket. That is DIR. Reels on the hip d-ring or on a stage. Lift bag on a leash to the front d-ring. Rear d- rings are for cave only. (/Squawk!)

And from personal experience, carrying spools anywhere but in a pocket is a PITA and an invitation for trouble. If you're DIR you have pockets, right?

A GUE instructor certainly knows more than I do, but I just thought I'd pass on what GI said. Squawk!

It's not unusual for GUE guys and WKPP guys (Irvine) to see DIR differently. There are a few other examples of this occuring. Since DIR was coined by Irvine, then basically Irvine gets to say what is and what is not DIR. However, GUE sells it, so they now have more influence than Irvine does as to what DIR is and what it's not. It's an interesting relationship to say the least. Personally, I see DIR as a set of guidelines by which I dive. By definition, it is very difficult for anyone, other than Irvine and those within his inner circle, to be 100% DIR all the time (IMO).

Mike

Yeah - d'you think I can find some DIR-compliant Hawaiian print bellows pockets for my board shorts when I dive Cozumel? :confused: Let's not even get into where to stow the safety sausage. :blush:

Seriously, I'm moving toward a DIR-ish configuration, but I'd be interested in seeing it adapted to more situations beyond wreck/cave/deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom