Tired of DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR seems to be the way to go...esp. for cave and also for some wreck stuff...

I think DIR would have saved Berman and if anyone could dive the *@&#@! out of a cave, he could. That alone makes a strong point for DIR I think...

I also think I like debating it with you guys...:)

I see a lot more whining about DIR on rec boards than I do chest-beating from DIR folks.The more I dive in thier arena......deep&dark....the more value I find in compliance to Hogarthian principles.I list UP,LY,Wendy and a few others here as examples of the type of people I've found in the DIR camp.Very knowledgeable,but approachable.I even agree with GIs position on almost all issues,he just needs a little tact.Contempt prior to investigation got me into a lot of trouble in the past.Today I try to weigh all the pros/cons and come up with a decision based on facts .Even NetDoc for all his questioning has began the process of assimilation:wink: ..

Come to Florida, Sue, and we could do some diving! Sometimes, it's best to bow out and let the others fight it out (in a friendly, relaxed manner).

DIR is a read/be taught philosophy where the students aren't allowed input. In this system, the proven methods are the only methods. This is great in the exploratory setting in which it is founded. For this reason, the philosophy is to be applauded. The failure comes in when someone wants to attempt to improve on one of the methods(sidemount namely). For this reason alone, you are barred from being DIR and DIR divers aren't supposed to dive with non-DIR divers.
C'est La Vie

Independents (not independence) make solo diving so much easier.
If you are in the water all the time, you run out of buddies quickly.
Cheers

I was trying to keep out of this but sorry I can't!

In this system, the proven methods are the only methods.

Some day, some where a "DIR" diver will probably die, especially as things expand and the numbers following it build up (I am not getting into the argument of another thread that says this has already happened). No doubt the DIR gurus will come up with some excuse to say that he/she was not DIR - a bit like PADI saying he was not diving PADI he did not have a snorkel!

We are getting some very elitist and arrogant quotes coming from several sources most notably it would appear the Fundamentals book - which I will read sometime (guess I better order it first!).

Back to the quote - we get new technology all the time and new experiences and knowledge. No one and nothing is perfect - it can always be improved upon.

Just my 2 yen
Jonathan

That has been my point of view since I joined this board, and in practical applications as well.

"We are getting some very elitist and arrogant quotes coming from several sources most notably it would appear the Fundamentals book - which I will read sometime (guess I better order it first!). "

Please do order and read the Fundamentals book. You will find that your statement is incorrect. I have had the book for a few months and have read it three times and frequently refer back to pictures or text for information. I have not found it to be elitist, arrogant, or offensive in any way. While I like "DIR" thinking and ideas, I detest the DIR Nazi's alienation of others. Jarrod Jablonski is not one of them, as you will find if you read the book.

I am on Chapter 3 at the moment and will start another thread once I see something that really deserves our collective attention.

I agree wholeheartedly with JJ's interpretation of the diving industry in chapter 2...that said, I have to finish the book to comment any further (I will this weekend).

IMHO, if the minions in the DIR camp had the same presentation skills and logical thought as JJ, there would be a whole lot more DIR divers.

I hope JJ doesn't start going off on me and calling me a stroke by chapter 6 :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jonathan

Some day, some where a "DIR" diver will probably die, especially as things expand and the numbers following it build up (I am not getting into the argument of another thread that says this has already happened). No doubt the DIR gurus will come up with some excuse to say that he/she was not DIR - a bit like PADI saying he was not diving PADI he did not have a snorkel!
Just my 2 yen
Jonathan

Jonathan,

A couple of things.

First, although we always hope that no one evers dies in this sport, it's bound to happen. Doesn't matter if it's DIR or DIW, or whatever you want to call it. The difference is that in DIR, you've got all sorts of backup/bailout/support that you don't have in solo diving, etc.

Second, "No doubt the DIR gurus will come up with some excuse to say that he/she was not DIR.. " is just an absurd statement without any merit. Have you actually seen this occur? If you're referring to George Irvine, the only people that he defends are his WKPP divers, not the run-of-the-mill DIR divers. He hand picks these folks, and they do it his way or the don't do it. They have a PERFECT record since he's taken over the WKPP. No other organization can claim that. He has no control over the average guy/gal who does DIR over the internet, and assumes most of them are NOT DIR.

Your statement shows a real animosity towards anything DIR. And that's okay-you're entitled to your opinions. But to paint with such a broad brush is not fair.

Could someone just clear up for me whether DIR principles, even from a purist's point of view, are meant to be important for non-solo rec diving in open water, above 130'?

Sorry if this has already been discussed in other threads, but there's a lot of them to look thru...

Basically, the techniques of sound deep diving are not fundamentally different from those you should be using in recreational open water diving.

Part of that is from the DIR Fundamentals book...paraphrased of course. The idea is that you learn to dive DIR in all environments and that makes you a better diver overall. The DIR system is the optimal system for all environments...even 30' reef diving.

There is no need to use different techniques for different diving environments...use the DIR system for wrecks, caves, and open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom