Tired of DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't do that!
Coffee has caffeine and caffeine is a drug ... you can't take drugs if you wanna be DIR!

Just kidding ...

Going to have also a coffee and a Camel!

Have fun!

Sue

I thought you couldn't eat camels if you wanted to be DIR. Isn't camel meat high in cholesterol?

Camel is my cigarette's brand

shuuuuuut .... don't say it to JJ

but I also run for 1 hour twice a week - does that cleans my lunghs enough to be DIR? guess not

No doubt about it -- the name is a little pretentious.......combine that with some of the on-line idiots who cop a pretty bad attitude when it comes to DIR..........

I think everyone's perception of DIR is shaped by those we've met who have discussed DIR with us. Too often this first impression is developed via "DIR or death" vs. "DIR sucks" on-line shouting matches.

That being said, without exception, those DIR supporters I've met in person have been great folks -- patient, informative, willing to lend their gear to me to try, and willing to dive with me in OW situations.

You're right

The only two DIR persons I've met personally are my (at that time)TDI Nitrox instructor and his wife. He is now a GUE instructor and partner of a Halcyon shop in Akumal.

They are both great and I admire very much their attitude and skills.

My Take on the subject...

When I started diving I looked at everything I could find. I read everything I could find on all subjects related to diving. I found DIR and it made a lot of sense. I've studied it intensely and some things at first didn't make a lot of sense to me. Some did and I thought this looked like a good way to do it.

As I've progressed through my diving "career" gaining experience and now with Cave training and doing long cave dives every weekend I've realized piece by piece why DIR works. It's hard to know why they want you to have this and that exactly the way they say until you actually are 3000ft in a cave with double stages.... then it hits you... OHHH that's why. Little things like SS clips, position of clips on hose, etc, etc. go along with the bigger things.

Yes, you can dive NON DIR and survive and even do well BUT if you haven't been there and done that and tried DIR don't knock it because it DEFINATELY works. I know. I'm not saying it's the only way to dive but I do believe it's THE BEST for backmount diving. (Sidemount is a whole different ballgame)

Also, no where in "DIR" does it state you need to have Halcyon equiptment or GUE training. Do any of the top players in wkpp have GUE cards?? Nope. Also, some of the equiptment you can buy at Extreme Exposure/Halcyon is decidedly NOT DIR. Most is but not all. Halcyon does make the best DIR equiptment (imho) though.

The best thing to do is to learn what DIR really is and go from there. It's NOT just an equiptment configuration but a total lifestyle and mindset.

BTW: There are a lot of people who THINK they are DIR but aren't. Those are the ones you have to watch out for and usually have the biggest "attitudes". As for me, I am trying but it's a hard road to become totally DIR in the truest sense. A bit like becomming an olympic athlete. But hey, there's nothing wrong with trying.

OK. I will chime in too. Much of the DIR philosophy simply can’t be argued. However, the core philosophy doesn’t seem that different than any non-GUE agency. The WKPP is certainly very accomplished. But…there are other people and organizations doing very extreme dives with great success but with less horn blowing. Diving can present diverse and dynamic situations and problems that require diverse and dynamic solutions.

My equipment has a DIR look. Hogarthian. Also I use a lot of Halcyon gear. After several months and many dives I have decided that my reels do not belong up my but. They get in the way when kiting and de-kiting and I find them hard to reach. They are especially hard to get at when there is a silty floor inches from your chin and a rock ceiling inches above your tanks. I prefer them on my left hip D-ring. This works well even when wearing a stage or deco tank or two. I can reach them without moving anything other than my left hand. If there is a flaw in this system I haven’t found it yet. A computer CAN be a very useful TOOL.

Just go ahead and do your thing....
But then some folk's thing is protesting other folks thing....
And that is from both sides of the fence....

I have noticed that the anti-DIR attacks seldom focus on discussions of substance...
And I think we all know the reason for that.

Are you really tired of DIR... then ignore it... if you can. :D
But you really know that you can't :wink:
Resistance is futile....
You will be assimilated!

I am convinced..

UP

I'm not tired and the prove is that I'm participating in this subject.

I am in fact very interested, I read all that I can about this subject and talk to many people.

I've said several times that I mainly agree with DIR fundamentals, what I dislike is the non flexible attitude.

I'll probably never will be a DIR diver, but I can learn a lot from them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom