• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Tipping

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by Basheirt, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Kitty_Kat

Kitty_Kat Contributor

As g1138 hinted at, the best "tip" I have received thus far is getting to see some of the divers I trained continue to dive. Every time one of those divers comes back to take a continuing education class or ask me about the gear he wants to buy, it tells me that I must have done a good job. When one of those divers become so excited about diving that he wants to get his entire family certified, putting them in my next class is one of the highest compliments I could receive on his class experience. After one of those divers goes on the "best dive trip ever", getting to see his pictures and listen to his stories from the trip is going to make me smile months or years after his class ended.

At the end of the day, I'm usually not going to remember the fact that a student left me a few dollars though.

That being said, I don't necessarily think that tipping (monetarily) during classes is a bad thing if you (the student) feels that it is warranted. Do I believe that tips be expected or asked for? Definitely not.

Many of the instructors I learned from would use any and all tips they received to take care of their DMs/assistants, regardless of whether they these people had been tipped separately. This could take the form of buying lunch, coffee, or drinks for everyone after the class or putting a tank of gas in the DM's car a week later. Knowing how much a nice lunch or a much needed cup of coffee can brighten the day of someone who has been working their a** off, I see nothing wrong with accepting a tip so that I can better take care of the people who have helped me. Teaching a class is very rarely a solo effort/achievement and sometimes a small tip is a great way of recognizing that fact. On the other hand, I have also had the experience of working with instructors who actively asked for or suggested tips. I have not, and will not, work with them again.

To the OP, there is no cut and dry rule about tipping your instructors/DMs so do what you feel is right in your situation! *Since it was a rescue class, if you were responsible for the breakage of any body parts that are not your own, you may want to at least buy that person a drink though... :wink:

2. Nasser

Nasser ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I don’t think that there really is a right or wrong answer.

It is very much dependent on what part of the world you’re in, what is considered customary, and what the individual circumstance are. In my personal experience I have never found it to be awkward or in appropriate. In fact I’ve usually made it a point to consult the GM or Operations manager, other instructors on staff, and even fellow students… not once was it deemed inappropriate or “wrong”. Most importantly, I felt it was a good way to show my appreciation for a very enjoyable and beneficial experience.

You said it yourself….”Do what you think is right"

oly5050user likes this.
  3. mathauck0814

mathauck0814 Scuba Instructor

Scubaboard convinced me to increase the cost of my courses as a result of the generally prevailing attitude on tipping.

oly5050user and Nasser like this.
  4. oly5050user

oly5050user Contributor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞

5. theduckguru

theduckguru Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The end of restaurant tipping? - MarketWatch

"A solid majority of Americans — 75% — say they tip less than the customary 20% when dining out, according to a new survey by vouchercloud.net, which researches consumer spending habits. Additionally, the website reports that 46% of Americans say they are tipping less in general than they did five years ago."

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  6. jbark

jbark Contributor

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Being a professor I am pretty sure I know the answer to that question. Any chance it's extra credit??

Jerry

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 08:39 AM ----------

Congrats to you both, dive on!

Jerry

7. cnspotts

cnspotts Registered

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Tip!
    I consider it part of the total cost of the trip especially when the experience has been fun, interactive and I feel the urge to give extra as they did.

I'm surprised by how how few seem to tip and have so many reasons for not doing it.

8. dytis-sm

dytis-sm Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    IMHO a small thank you gift is not a bad idea if you enjoyed the class and felt that the instructor did a great job. Some do not care but others do go the extra mile. I do not think anyone expects a tip particularly cash. I hate the possibility of someone being insulted with cash so instead of cash I bought them dinner or gave them a BevMo gift card to buy the drinks of their choice. If they do not drink or time does not allow the dinner, an Amazon gift card or something like that. Same applies to DMs...

I treat this as a thank you for a friend not a waiter at a restaurant who gets paid primarily from tips.

9. scubastingray

scubastingray Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I tip in restaurants and where it's called for, but I'd like to point two things out:

1. The recent recession has likely significantly impacted tipping behavior significantly.

2. 20% as the norm is something that is sort of silly. It seems this percentage has gone from 10% to 15% and now 20% over the last 25 years. 15% is my standard, but typically I'll tip close to 20%. I don't think 20% is the norm.

10. BDSC

BDSC Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Just to be clear, this thread is about tipping your instructor and not tipping when on a trip. I suspect the vast majority of folks tip when on a trip or vacation. Every single instructor I know wouldn't accept a cash tip.