Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Finishing Rescue cert tomorrow. Curious to know opinions for tipping the instructor. What about other DMs who assisted over the 2 days of quarry diving?

do what you feel comfortable with..if you are asking for a guideline, what do you tip a server at a restaurant who does not teach you how to survive in a hostile environment and only brings your food to the table? 15%-20%??

do what you feel comfortable with..if you are asking for a guideline, what do you tip a server at a restaurant who does not teach you how to survive in a hostile environment and only brings your food to the table? 15%-20%??

Did you tip your college professors 15-20% of your tuition?

My own thoughts are you have paid the Instructor to teach you.

The DM's are the ones who helped. In a Rescue class, they do all the work.

It's never occurred to me to tip instructors/DMs for class work other than to buy a round of beers after the course or to bring coffee/doughnuts etc. Certainly charter captains/DM's I tip.

If the instructor is an owner of the shop, then nothing. If he freelances for the shop, then maybe buy him dinner. If there were DMs or assistants involved, they got paid nothing, so a nice gesture to them goes a long way.

Depends some on the environment. If it’s happening through your local dive shop in the US, then most likely a tip would be unusual. It it’s in an overseas situation where tips are the norm for diving in general, a tip would seem much more likely.

When I was an active DM and instructor (in the US), I occasionally received tips, but didn’t expect them. Sometimes a beer or six-pack or meal or cash, and they were appreciated. But my favorite tips were when the student saw fit to write a complimentary note about me to the store owner. Were any/all of the staff exceptional?

As others mentioned, assistants are often the heroes. DMC’s are paying students themselves and DMs/AIs in the US are often underpaid, <Instructors too, imo – but not as bad>. Most do it out of their love for sharing the scuba experience.

A verbal expression of your appreciation would be nice, too.

Best tip I ever got as a DM was rolling around with a student's two Dive Corgis during the Surface Interval.
Second best was the pug in a Bumble bee costume.
Third best was a beer and lunch.

Instructors are paid to teach you, and while I would appreciate a tip, I feel much better having my students as dive buddies and friends after the class.
As a DM, same goes for me personally. But I feel DM's deserve tips more often than instructors. DM's don't get paid, and often get stuck with the grunt work to make the Instructor's logistics easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom