OW checkout dives - tipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’re paying for the course aren’t you? A tip is a tip just like in any other industry. If you want to you can but it’s by no means mandatory. Otherwise it wouldn’t be a tip.

I think I am generally a pretty generous tipper and I would not do that. If you want to and it was a great class, sure, go ahead, but you're paying probably a good chunk of cash for the certification + gear rental.

What that's saying is that they are not paying their instructors what they should and are making them work for peanuts.
It's BULLCRAP!
It's why the puppy mills have to keep churning out instructors. Once they get out there and work for some of these cut rate, unethical, immoral, and greedy shops they don't stay around.
The agencies don't help at all because their customer is the shop. They don't care how the shop makes money, as long as they get their cut from cert fees and materials sales.
Ask the shop how much of your course fee goes to the instructor.
If they tell you, it's probably going to shock you how little they think of the professional who trained you to survive and have fun in an alien environment that is normally hostile to human life.
Primary reason I never taught for a shop. Always stayed independent. I paid the shop a fee for pool use, but I kept 90-95% of the tuition fee.

It's between the shop and the instructor.

If I really like the instructor, I won't tip, I'll hire him directly.

I help with classes at a LDS and have never seen any student tip - for any class. You already paid for the course, and tips are certainly not expected or encouraged.

Now, if you are going on a fun dive AFTER you completed the course, and the instruction staff knocked it out of the park, let them know.

I wouldn't want it to be seen as an attempted bribe. Take your instructor out for a beer or even dinner after you receive your cert card.

Tips should never be expected. I occasionally get tips and I appreciate it. It lets me know I’m doing a good job. However, I’d never tell students that tips are expected. Tip if warranted. Don’t feel guilty if you don’t.

What that's saying is that they are not paying their instructors what they should and are making them work for peanuts.
It's BULLCRAP!
It's why the puppy mills have to keep churning out instructors. Once they get out there and work for some of these cut rate, unethical, immoral, and greedy shops they don't stay around.
The agencies don't help at all because their customer is the shop. They don't care how the shop makes money, as long as they get their cut from cert fees and materials sales.
Ask the shop how much of your course fee goes to the instructor.
If they tell you, it's probably going to shock you how little they think of the professional who trained you to survive and have fun in an alien environment that is normally hostile to human life.
Primary reason I never taught for a shop. Always stayed independent. I paid the shop a fee for pool use, but I kept 90-95% of the tuition fee.
I've always agreed with you on all of that. Of course, if all the instructors simply refused to work for peanuts (and DMs for PERKS), things would have to change. Maybe a Union? I they continue to work for peanuts or free it's their own damn fault. One instructor where I worked said at times he'd rather still be a DM and collect $300 for two weekends work rather than like $550 and all the paperwork and other extras that go along with being an instructor.

i must say i was shocked at all the responses.

first.....as an instructor i rarely saw a tip. but at times i did receive something extra. one time something very nice.

as a non paid intern.....i may have been given something a couple of times.

i never expected a tip. and i agree with most of the comments here. i was being paid to do a job and i did it the best i could.

but i wonder how many of the divers here who responded by saying no to tipping, then turn around and tip quite nicely when away on vacation. hmmmmm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom