OW Checkout Dives Tips (5C/42F)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FJUK1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi,

I've discussed this before on here, but I now have my first checkout dive scheduled in the next 2 weeks.

I will be diving in around 5-6C/42F water. I will be using a trilam drysuit with 165g base layer (merino wool), 250g mid layer (merino wool), 100g thinsulate layer (typhoon jumpsuit). Looking for all advice/tips for a nervy but excited diver. Most worried about flailing about in my drysuit.

my opinion is that your choosing to use too much insulation. 500 grams of insulation is a lot. most training dives would not be long enough to justify it. just my opinion.

if it was me, i would rather risk being not as warm as i would like, in order to have more freedom of movement and be able to dive with less weight.

your comment about being worried about using the drysuit is concerning. if this is for your entry level ow course, you should have received special training on how to use this suit before even attempting to dive in it.

my opinion is that your choosing to use too much insulation. 500 grams of insulation is a lot. most training dives would not be long enough to justify it. just my opinion.

if it was me, i would rather risk being not as warm as i would like, in order to have more freedom of movement and be able to dive with less weight.

your comment about being worried about using the drysuit is concerning. if this is for your entry level ow course, you should have received special training on how to use this suit before even attempting to dive in it.
yeah spent a couple hours in the pool with my drysuit and feel im at around 75% confidence compared to having no suit on... I have the choice of running a 165g base layer + 100g thinsulate jumpsuit, or adding a 250g mid layer. Don't want to be cold but am willing to listen to input on that!

you really wont know your tolerance for the conditions until you are in the water for awhile. we have divers here who go ice diving in 7mm wet suits. lol
i assume you are doing at least two dives the first day so maybe bring all your insulation and you try less on the first dive. then adjust if needed for the second dive.
did you weight yourself in the pool with all three layers?

you really wont know your tolerance for the conditions until you are in the water for awhile. we have divers here who go ice diving in 7mm wet suits. lol
i assume you are doing at least two dives the first day so maybe bring all your insulation and you try less on the first dive. then adjust if needed for the second dive.
did you weight yourself in the pool with all three layers?
Yeah that makes sense, will do my first dive with base+jumpsuit and will add the midlayer if needed. Need around 12kg of lead for weight with all 3 layers, appreciate the help.

Only reason I thought of using all layers is I've read alot about people using a bz400 + artics + exotherm in like 10c water lol. Makes me think that the layers mentioned in OP isn't even close to enough. But I guess I'll see what happens

again....just my opinion.....i would try the 250g merino to keep things simple (one layer) and then add the 100g next if you needed more.
if thats not cutting it, next time start with the 250 plus the 165. make sure to have a thick (7 to 10mm) hood that fits properly as well.

i dived with a super thin base layer (just for comfort) with a 200g fleece undergarment for a long time. i was fine for shorter training dives in the 40 to 50F range. your 250 merino will be much warmer than what i had for sure.

once i switched to a neoprene neck seal and dry gloves i was much more comfortable. but everyone is different.

enjoy. have fun!!

again....just my opinion.....i would try the 250g merino to keep things simple (one layer) and then add the 100g next if you needed more.
if thats not cutting it, next time start with the 250 plus the 165. make sure to have a thick (7 to 10mm) hood that fits properly as well.

i dived with a super thin base layer (just for comfort) with a 200g fleece undergarment for a long time. i was fine for shorter training dives in the 40 to 50F range. your 250 merino will be much warmer than what i had for sure.

once i switched to a neoprene neck seal and dry gloves i was much more comfortable. but everyone is different.

enjoy. have fun!!
Thanks a lot! I'll do my first dive in 250g base layer and jumpsuit and will report back

What are you doing for socks? Several layers of wool socks will work.

Gloves? Hood?

What are you doing for socks? Several layers of wool socks will work.

Gloves? Hood?
Have a pair of merino wool socks, topped with weezle extreme socks. 5mm gloves, 7mm hood

For reference, I had a shallow training dive earlier today of 74 minutes in 1-3˚C. I was in a trilam drysuit with 250g merino wool base layer and a 600g thinsulate layer (No Gravity Sea Lion Plus), thick hood (8-10mm?) and drygloves with wool inner gloves and liner. Double pair of wool socks. Yup, 850g in total. I had a slight leak, but my torso and legs were still quite ok at the end of the dive. Fingers and toes, however, pain...

Diving in 5˚C water with a trilam suit and just 250g wool layer, like @rick00001967 suggested sounds crazy to me, but maybe that's how they roll in Canada. Your suggestion of 500g total sounds reasonable to me. I don't know if I would want to do any less, personally.

Yes, heavy undergarments pose 2 challenges:
- you're less flexible, it can be harder to reach the valve(s) behind your head etc.
- they trap more air (to give you warmth), so you have vent your drysuit frequently on ascent

Here's a tip:
Remember to keep your legs extended and slightly lower than the rest of your body when you vent, so you don't trap air in the legs, and keep the dump valve at the highest point. Also, if the dump valve is on your upper arm, just bend at the elbow and point it to the surface. And remember to vent early and often when ascending (but stay neutral, so you don't have to swim up). Make frequent small adjustments to BC and drysuit - remember that there's a delay before the changes take effect.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom