OW Checkout Dives Tips (5C/42F)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Floaty feet is a skill problem
it can be. but it can also be an equipment problem.

but i completely agree ankle weights are not the best solution. i have had trim issues in the past and have used ankle weight many times.

they helped me at the time but i had to learn to solve the issue a better way.

do i think it is the end of the world on a short shallow ow training dive to try them out. no, not really.

but the instructor should work with them to sort it out using other solutions.

So can fins? So can almost any weight?
I don't use ankle weights but if I did they would be used with gaiters (which I do use) and put under the gaiter.
my fins are neutral so if they fell off (never have) it causes no issue. the same cannot be said for ankle weights.
i am not dead set against them if needed. i have used them in the past.
but there are better solutions.

We are talking heavy fins, lose those and they are sinking fast. No different than an ankle weight.

We are talking heavy fins, lose those and they are sinking fast. No different than an ankle weight.
if that is a genuine concern then why use them? i know many people do but i have never heard anyone complain about the possibility of loosing one.
anyway. not here to debate which fins to use.
i was simply replying to someone who asked what the downside could be with using ankle weights.
if someone wants to use them then go ahead. but again, there are better solutions.

So... the dive is on Saturday (2 days time). I have decided to go with around 400g of undersuit garments and am not going to use ankle weights upon the advice of some here as well as my instructors. I am doing my qualification with BSAC so there is no pressure to perform on the day, so if worst comes to worst I will sit at 2 metres just relaxing and sorting myself out for the first dive. I am bringing a pair of gaiters which I may use on my 2nd dive if I feel like I'd benefit from them.

I've been overthinking and worrying about this moment, when I should be excited and enjoying it. So here's to that. Thanks all for the advice! Will post an update on how it goes.

Update: Surface temp was 7c/44F, got down to 7M/23Feet. Went a million times better than expected, no floaty feet issues or anything else that I was worried about. Thumbed the second dive of the day due to sinus issues as I had a cold the week leading up to the dive. Only thing I severely underestimated was "dive fitness", way more effort than expected expended on the surface... Really enjoyed my first dive, cheers all for the advice!

Update: Surface temp was 7c/44F, got down to 7M/23Feet. Went a million times better than expected, no floaty feet issues or anything else that I was worried about. Thumbed the second dive of the day due to sinus issues as I had a cold the week leading up to the dive. Only thing I severely underestimated was "dive fitness", way more effort than expected expended on the surface... Really enjoyed my first dive, cheers all for the advice!
A half hour U.K. dive is like a 5 hour workout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom