Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's simple. If your occupation requires tipping, you are not a professional.

I would like to think a Scuba instructor is a professional and tipping would seem condescending. Do you tip the architect designing your house or your accountant doing your taxes?
There was a thread a while back in which "professional" was discussed, including various opinions on it's definition. Some said you are one if you are paid. Others referred only to it as a way of acting on the job ("He is very professional in his approach"). Still others referred to occupations, including salaries-- such as-- we all pretty much consider doctor, lawyer as professions. Teachers are referred to as professionals (the profession, not the "job" of teaching), at much lower salaries. A McDonalds employee also gets paid (even much less), so is that just a job?, is the manager a professional? So, where do scuba instructors, DMs fit in to all this--salary or otherwise? As a DM I made about minimum wage, same as the McDonalds guy, yet I was a "PADI Pro".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom