Tipping - how much and are we cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santa:
Drinking money

Would that explain the origin of the word "tipsy" too then?

Tip may have originated from the old English word tipsy:

Glasses were hand blown, thus flat bottomed glasses were difficult to produce. Those with curved bottoms would tend to tumble over when placed on the table, and too many tumblers of whiskey would make you a little bit tipsy.

When I tell you "good job", I'm not referring to your dive. I'm referring to how you managed to get to the boat without me having to rescue you (because you came up out of air 400 hundred yards away, down current), and how you got your fins off and yourself up the ladder without it injuring you. I guess you were paying attention to the rehearsed speech.:D

hopeitsapar:
I generally tip the DM's about $20 for the day, the seemed pleased with the amount, but I do not know for sure

I can assure you that a DM will be pleased with $20

Methinks y'all are getting a long way from the original question which was, in essence, why did the fellow who ran fishing charters discover that scuba divers are relatively lousy tippers.

I suggest it may be because running a boat for divers requires quite a different set of skills than that particular captain had to offer.

In my limited experience, divers do not appreciate being gaffed, dragged aboard, bonked on the head, and gutted. Hence, they may not tip as generously as fishermen, who really like to see that happen to almost anything that gets dragged out of the ocean.

HowDidIGetIntoThis?:
In my limited experience, divers do not appreciate being gaffed, dragged aboard, bonked on the head, and gutted.

Says you!!!

Charlie59:
Soooo, my post was rude. Well get over it swissguy. And kiss my foot if you see me give a generous tip and you don't like it. It is none of your dang business.

Or as the Canadians say "straight up".:mooner:

And in your honor, my next dive in Grand Cayman, I'm tipping 100% of the dive costs, how do you feel now tightwad?

I also tip, by the way, but I don't think excessive tipping in general is a healthy thing.

I wonder whether you are tipping high to compensate for your charming personality.:D

In any case, have fun diving in Grand Cayman. What is your favourite site. Have you been in Little Cayman? I think Little Cayman has some of the best sites in that area.

A.

AlexMDiver:
I also tip, by the way, but I don't think excessive tipping in general is a healthy thing.

A.

Agreed.

I think that the tipping should rather directly mirror the context of the local society.

If people are properly provided for through work politics I don't see much call for it. I would consider it covering a problem that should be handled on a political level.

But this only applies if you can actually trusty the government and the system is reasonably fair.

If not I'd tip - for the simple reason that the people of such a society can hardly wait around for things to improve, which may in many parts of the world be decades in the future - or never.

Tips to me reflect unjust work politics.

ChillyWaters:
I know your first post wasn't aimed it me, but it still screamed LEMMING!, and thus I responded. Am I only allowed to speak when spoken to or something? Is that something you expect of us cheap canadians too?

Really? I did?

Yup, that appears to be you. Nice recognition.

Okay, tipping is a personal matter. I can do what I want. Nice, then why all the fuss... oh yeah...

Oh, I see, you don't really mean that it is a personal matter and I can do what I want. Perhaps you could address my post #96. Oh wait, I've already asked that, and you didn't. I forgot, you speak in generalities. I forgot, that is a sure way to progress a discussion. My bad. What was I thinking?

- ChillyWaters

Chilly, you seem exceptionally bitter these days. How's life? You need to get wet? You should come diving with me. We can take a local charter and I'll pick up the tip. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom