Tipping - how much and are we cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac:
I think about 10% is enough for a week of diving, and this is what we feel others from the US we've met on liveaboards have tipped. In Australia, the Aussies have warned me that they don't like the tipping method that Americans have and they don't want it started in their country. This included their restaurants as well as their diving. I was told that the employees make enough without the tip. One needs to remember not to insult those that live in the country you are visiting.

I think I have to agree with the Aussies here. I think everyone should get a fair wage for the work they do. I FRIGGIN' HATE TO TIP!! It sucks that we have to subsidize workers salarys because their bosses are so cheap. Now we have to budget tipping into our vacations. I would rather it be all inclusive...not because I'm cheap, but it would make it soooo much easier than having to figure 15 or 20 percent on a round of drinks when you're three sheets to the wind at some bar partying and having a good time with friends. I for one would have no problem whatsoever paying a higher price for services if the tipping was included and standardized, but we all know the bosses would skim and the workers would get screwed. For the record, not all service people get tipped. I do air conditiong service for a living and no matter how appreciative someone may be that they have cold air now, I can count on one hand the number of times I was tipped for my services in 25 years of doing it.<end rant>

AlexMDiver:
I wonder whether you are tipping high to compensate for your charming personality.:D

In any case, have fun diving in Grand Cayman.

A.

None of the dive boat employees had much to say about my personality when I handed them the huge tips. In fact they followed me everywhere I went. Dove mostly on the north of Grand and had a great time.:eyebrow:

The picture you see is from Stingray city (yeah, the tourist thing) and the damn thing bit me. I guess nature loves a smartarse.

catherine96821:
see...I don't agree. They have an incentive to "close the deal", not give you good advice. Like realtors.... I don't understand why people think this. Now...they might be superficially "nicer" to you, but their only incentive is to consumate the transaction.

Yup, and they often try to sell you something beyond your needs (to get a higher commission), or the store may give the salespeople a higher commission to get rid of certain stock. Your goals may go completely against the goals of the salesperson. I'd avoid most electronic stores that work on commission, that is, unless you know a lot about what you're purchasing.

- ChillyWaters

DiverDebbie:
I worked as a waitress many years ago and we servers tried to analyze who tipped best... by nationality, or gender... smokers/non-smokers... drinkers.. singles/couples, families... and you know, people are people and there are no hard and fast rules. Sometimes the one who was so pleasant and you gave fabulous service to would totally stiff you... and sometimes you'd have a table where everything would go wrong... and you'd still get a good tip. Go figure.. maybe they saw you were just having a bad day. At lot of it it just about attitude.

We did the same experiment...It was the drinker/smokers that tip the best. Aren't thye wonderful customers?

catherine96821:
see...I don't agree. They have an incentive to "close the deal", not give you good advice. Like realtors.... I don't understand why people think this. Now...they might be superficially "nicer" to you, but their only incentive is to consumate the transaction.
Just my opinion. Here on Oahu, the "service" stores for electronics have the WORST return policies...they take the commission, then you have to ship things to the mainland for warranties. I stick to Costco! Those guys never lie.

I refuse to worry about who splits what with who, because it varies so much and if I am on vacation that is not what I want to be pondering. Five dollars a tank sounds good--that is usually 20 dollars for a couple times number of days. I prefer to do it early in the dive, like in the morning!

I need to politely disagree. I am a sales training rep, I train commission and non-commission sales floors, and have worked commission and non-commission sales floors. The first thing I notice as a trainer is that the commission employees are eager for information on the product, which means that they will be able to educate the customer; the second thing I notice is a non-commission sales floor is paid if they wait on/help you or not, the commission is going to see if you need help. Now, if you do your own investigation prior to shopping, this isn't a big deal, unless whatever you are purchasing is locked in a case that you can't get to. And my suggestion is that if you are doing your own research, you might as well just buy it online anyway, why drive to the store?

10% on a liveabaoard? You'd give a waitress in a restaurant 20%, and all she does is bring your food/drinks. The people working the liveaboards bring your food, take care of your dive gear, tank set up etc., clean your rooms, cook your food, drive the boat around, lead the dives, listen to and respond to all the inane questions and etc., etc. I mean 10%? The OP posed a question: and the answer is yes. most divers are cheap; I have come to believe this over a long period of time watching. I can't believe when I am in Cozumel, and a couple gets off a boat and hands a dive master 50 pesos for a 2 tank dive (even 100 pesos is embarassing for 2 people) to be split between the DM and captain for 4 hours on the boat. That's a whopping 57 cents per hour each...and if you make it 100 pesos, that's $1.14...it's just shameful...My last liveaboard, I did 20%, and felt like a thief...ask yourself: what would I like to get if I was getting paid {Not much} and having to do all the work these people do, and give them more than that...cheapos...hahaaa...good thing for me on the flip side is I just tip what I think is normal, and compared to everyone else, I am a huge tipper (my tip is bigger than yours and, yes, size matters) and therefore get better service...

...good thing for me on the flip side is I just tip what I think is normanl, and compared to everyone else, I am a huge tipper

this is true. I tip more in Mexico, cause they appreciate it more than Americans and also I never see them talk about "getting stiffed". Americans dive guides often seem to act entitled and it bugs me. Here in Hawaii, the Americans are usually the ones with the cry-baby signs "TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA" and all the pushy speeches that rub me wrong. Just zip it and do your job, like everybody else does and if you get a tip---great.

Also, I happen to think the tip can with the big sign is bad. Who wants to make an anonymous tip? A tip should be made with a thank-you and eye contact, not dropped in the mystery bucket where the amount is never even attributed to you.

People that have tip boxes really don't get it, IMO.

I need to politely disagree. I am a sales training rep,
Shandajr, I bet you are right where you are. Your part of the world, in my experience has the best customer service regionally of any place I have dealt with.... In fact, I often choose businesses on-line when all else is equal, by the region. Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, most midwest places are consistently very polite, knowledgable and have an old school work ethic regarding the lost art of customer service. I have never even been there, but I have experienced that these folks usually do what they say they will do.

cowboyneal:
good thing for me on the flip side is I just tip what I think is normanl, and compared to everyone else, I am a huge tipper (my tip is bigger than yours and, yes, size matters) and therefore get better service...

cowboyneal: Good post. I agree. One time leaving a DEMA show in New Orleans we were late arriving at the airport. I was traveling with my friend Hillary Hauser who, at that time, was on the old SKIN DIVER magazine staff. Hillary advised me: "Just give the guy at the curb a nice tip and we will have time for oysters and a cold beer." I did just that. When our bags were checked-pre 9/11 days- and boarding passes issued, I thanked the kind man for his good service: He replied- "You give the good tip, you get the good service." I have not forgotten that. Has not failed yet.

That is the "art" of tipping, I think.

Works if you would like to be later on the am pick-up too. Who tips the drivers? Most people don't. A ten or a five will get you sometimes up to an hour later pick up on the shuttle. They usually don't care which hotel gets picked up first....

GlazierB:
Once again I must say this... I don't tip, don't believe in the act and don't really care if others do... I just don't tip as a general rule... No matter the place or situation. People have their jobs and are expected to do them... It's why its called the "Service Industry"

If someone can not make ends meet without asking for a HANDOUT then I believe they need to find another carrer choice.

Tiping started out in Rome I think, you would give a "tip" to the server (waitress or bartender) before you ordered anything and that amount dictated the service that you were to recieve. Example if 4 people gave 3 dollars and you gave 1 then the 4 other people recieved better service than you. In the bar business the bartender doesnt get a lunch or dinner break or 15 munute breaks anytime during the shift. I wonder how you get treated by the service industry at places that you frequent. I bet in the first 3 minutes I get treated better than you. I tip on the first drink! How often does the Waitstaff check on how everything is and if you need anything. My water glass never goes empty and always a friendly face. But that is me and I tip and THEY KNOW IT! Now if you go out to eat and have a drink at the bar before you sit down and you stiff the Bartender (no tip) or tip the bartender If you dont think that the staff talks to each other while you are at your table your nuts. Next Time your at the water cooler or Bubbler, chatting with a co-worker about things at home or what you did last weekend Call your boss and tell him that you Dont want a handout and that you were wasting Company time on personal matters and to dock your pay for it.
Now that I got that off my mind I must honestly say this I am a bartender My opinion might be a little bias. a tip is not a handout it is a way of showing appreciation for Help, Good Service, advice, among other things but as of now I have to get ready for my Dead End Job.
I DON'T TIP.........I OVER TIP!!!

Back
Top Bottom