Tipping - how much and are we cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dennis, did I mention I am a divemaster and I have NEVER gotten a tip? So, when you come out here you could tip me if I set you up on the best boat....

hey..that's not something I should be bragging about! maybe CBN should just send me a check on general principle.

caymaniac:
I think about 10% is enough for a week of diving, and this is what we feel others from the US we've met on liveaboards have tipped. In Australia, the Aussies have warned me that they don't like the tipping method that Americans have and they don't want it started in their country. This included their restaurants as well as their diving. I was told that the employees make enough without the tip. One needs to remember not to insult those that live in the country you are visiting.

Hi

As an Australian I would love not to see tipping come to my country. Call it cheap or whatever but the award wage system and minimal award wage system the government has in place is a good one, and i think people forgot that other countries have these systems in place. I can remember working at target as a teenager and making casual wage of $10+ an hr which i didnt think to bad for a 15 year old.

Are there places trying to bring it in, yes there are. I also have noticed some of the boats for diving on the reef have sections on there web sites about tipping and are starting to encourage it to some degree.

Myself when im in countries and there is tipping, eg the usa, i tip accordingly. Plus it is also in the usa book your given on the plane and at the airport about how much is right to tip, also who to tip eg bell boys, waiters etc. 10% if it is good to ok and really great service 15%, to $1 a bag for the bell hop to a couple dollars for a group of friends at a bar. I am however im also a believer if the service is horrendous you arent getting a tip excpet for me informing the manager how crappy i thought the service was.

We do have gst down here however gst tax is already including in the price of things, eg i go buy milk for $2 when i get to the check out the gst is included on the shelf price so i therefore only pay $2. If anyone says it is this price and then tries to slug gst on top of that, call them on it if you are in Australia. This includes all goods bought and all services bought.

tracy

tracy_from_oz:
. 10% if it is good to ok and really great service 15%
A bit behind the times, think more like 20%

As a brit i also find some tipping practices are getting out of hand. A tip should be provided for good service not just becuase they are earning less than minimum wage. How are we supposed to know someone is earning less than minimum wage anyway. I find that often when visiting the states some people in the service industry seem to provide a very false "howdydoothere" type welcome that just makes me think 'so your expecting me to tip more because of that huh'.

As a former employee of the service industry (waiter), I can freely state that I loved getting those 15-20% tips. It made my day. This would be on someones bill that was $20 - $50. If someone drops $2000 or more on a liveaboard trip and is not independently wealthy, then 15% becomes a heck of a lot of money. As a diver on such a cruise, I will certainly provide a tip, but it will be a reasonable tip. (Affordable)

catherine96821:
he he, you would love LA.
Yup, LAX is a prime example, the crap 'Bar and grill' in the international terminal.

Another problem i have is that i travel a lot for business purposes, and claiming back tips is a PITA. Sure i got good service and the guy deserves something, but i would rather be paying service charge on the bill and be able to get it back off my employer, and then providing a smaller discretionary tip. if i got good service on top of the service charge i would leave something but i dont see that I should be expected to pay out of my own pocket when on expenses (yes it sounds like im a tight wad)

Back
Top Bottom