Timers and Guages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cold_Under_Here

Contributor
Reaction score
Which of the three would the experienced DIR diver recommend:

-Uwatec Digital Depth Timer
-OMS Bottom Timer
-Suunto Vyper Air/Nitrox/Gauge

Include price in recommendation.
I have been certified for several months and am thinking about buying some equipment, and the DIR mentality and gear configuration makes soooo much sense...why don't more dive DIR???...anyways, I am planning to be doing 30-100ft wreck dives in the near future.

cheers! :wink:

The Uwatec and OMS bottom timers are identical and run $150-$200US. I use the OMS and it serves its purpose quite well. I've used a Vyper and it works well and looks slick but the display seemed more difficult to read compared to the bottom timer. I found myself having to angle it just right.

Just get the Uwatec or OMS bottom timer wherever is local to you, or from LeisurePro (search for: OMSBT)

The Scubapro/UWATEC Digital Depth Gauge and the OMS Bottom Timer (W-BT) are basically the same product.

I'm not "experienced DIR" by any means, but I'm experienced at buying the wrong gear. :eyebrow:

If you are going the DIR route, get the OMS or Uwatec bottom timer.

The computers make pretty expensive bottom timers. I have a Vytec (without the AI transmitter), which is pretty much identical in function to the bottom timers when used in gauge mode, but at about triple the cost. If you went with the Vyper that would only be about double the cost of the OMS/Uwatec.

With the Suunto download cable you can download dive profiles from a Vytec/Vyper with the Suunto Dive Manager software, but for about the same money as that download cable, you could buy a Sensus Pro to record your profiles for posterity to your Windows/Mac/Palm computer.

Besides, I have it on good authority that computers rot your brain. :)

Great, thanks fellas. I will look at purchasing the timers with a mount.

happy diving. :14:

Cold_Under_Here:
Which of the three would the experienced DIR diver recommend:

-Uwatec Digital Depth Timer
-OMS Bottom Timer
-Suunto Vyper Air/Nitrox/Gauge

Include price in recommendation.
I have been certified for several months and am thinking about buying some equipment, and the DIR mentality and gear configuration makes soooo much sense...why don't more dive DIR???...anyways, I am planning to be doing 30-100ft wreck dives in the near future.

cheers! :wink:

With price as a consideration, the Uwatec bottom timer. With price as no consideration at all a Vytec. The reason is that the Vytec's main time display can be reset during the dive. A very handy feature, but it can be replicated almost as well with a $50 G-shock. So, it is a price is no option feature. Another nice feature of the Vytec is that the total time keeps going and it goes to 999 minutes, whereas the Uwatech rolls over at 99. Not a big deal for a 198 minute dive, but after that it can get a little confusing and the longer display is nice.

The Viper, just for its downloading ability would not be worth it to me. I do like the Uwatec's display in general a bit better but tend to use the Vytec for more dives because it makes keeping track of the profile easier if I can reset a timer and time specific depth ranges.

Another option is the new Uwatec "TEC" computer. It is basically a "Vyper" (air, Nitrox,or bottom timer) but also has a stop watch/timer that can be used while in gauge mode. Prices are around $375 (L.P. or DiveInn). I don't know of anything "OMS" that is considered "DIR" :D especially their customer service (or lack of).

matt t.:
Another option is the new Uwatec "TEC" computer. It is basically a "Vyper" (air, Nitrox,or bottom timer) but also has a stop watch/timer that can be used while in gauge mode.

Sorry, just wanted to add that it would be the UWATEC Aladin TEC that “has a stop watch/timer that can be used while in gauge mode” and NOT the UWATEC Smart TEC.

matt t.:
Another option is the new Uwatec "TEC" computer. It is basically a "Vyper" (air, Nitrox,or bottom timer) but also has a stop watch/timer that can be used while in gauge mode. Prices are around $375 (L.P. or DiveInn). I don't know of anything "OMS" that is considered "DIR" :D especially their customer service (or lack of).

I like the average depth feature. Too bad it can't be reset during the dive since this greatly reduces its utility. I may pick one of these up and try it. This looks more like one of the new watch size guages with the tiny displays though. Cany anyone that has seen one of these in person comment on the size of the display?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom