Trip Report Puerto Rico Trip Report August 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great pics and reviews, thank you! We live in Rincon part of the year (as soon as it gets cold on the mainland, lol) and we also love Taino Divers. We had an amazing close encounter with 4 Humpbacks the last time we were with them (late March, I think), literally just offshore in one of the crew's favorite spots.

I agree the reefs in the Marine Reserve there in Rincon makes for some amazing diving - but will also say that Desecheo is a different level of beautiful. Amazing corals there compared to what is currently on the coast, so come back and hopefully the next trip will take you to the Island!

Paradise Scuba in Parguerra absolutely rocks. Every time we go with them, we have a great time. We go out with them for the bio bay tours if we have friends visiting, which can be really fun.

Also must recommend Vieques as a wonderful dive spot, too - one dive we saw something like 5 nurse sharks, each napping in their own little coral cubbies. That was with Isla Nena Scuba - small boat, but that means less folks also and man the dive master knew the terrain.

Because we live in Rincon, we do a lot of shore diving by ourselves, and we don't really feel a driving need to leave the West coast in order to have good dive options. Visiting there short-term, staying on the west coast with Rincon as a base (or split time between there and the Parguerra/Guanica area) will give one a LOT of good scuba and snorkel options!

Cheers, and maybe we'll see ya on the Katmandu in Rincon sometime!

Joss
Hi Joss! We will be visiting soon and are seasoned shore divers. In addition to one or two boat dives, we hope to do plenty of shore dives on our own. What would you recommend? I've had a hard time collecting information other than Tres Palmas/Steps and Crashboat. I sincerely appreciate any information you can provide.
Thank you very much!

Hello! I can second Crashboat, it's an easy dive and SO much fun (get to the parking lot by 8am if you can - the place fills up FAST, and the main lot is the only place that is a sane way to get to/from the water.) Gentle slope down and easy navigation, and lots of pieces of pier and boats and whatnot to explore along with a great variety of life.

We live just next to Tres Palmas/Steps (we walk there almost daily) - it used to be a huge Elkhorn coral "Forest" but has taken a LOT of hits from storms and bleaching. But if you get out far enough there is a drop that offers a bit of a wall and some excellent diving, too. The shore is rock that has sudden drops so be careful getting in/out.

For other places: Corcega, just south of the main part of town, has an entry point that allows a short swim out towards a small wall. The folks at Rincon Dive and Snorkel regularly do shore dives there, and can probably help with greater info. (Rincon Dive/Snorkel will probably have the best shore diving info of anyone in Rincon, btw - they are exclusively shore divers, and have operated for quite a while.)

The Marina: Ok, if you are ready to navigate boats occasionally coming in or out, Black Eagle Marina is a nice entry point into he reserve, with less entry weirdness than Steps, but you just need to make sure you have your dive float and be aware of who is coming in/out. Dive shops regularly take divers in and out there, so people are aware. When you go in from the boat ramp (or the little beach next to it), follow to the right around the point and it just gets better and better. Nurse sharks, rays, turtles, eels, you name it.

For Rincon/Aguadilla, that's about it for my personal knowledge - but I'd also recommend chatting with Aquatica Dive Shop (just near the Aguadilla Airport). They know a LOT of shore dives in that area that we (hubby and I) do not, and will have some excellent suggestions. They are also great for gear servicing and it's a great little shop.

I hope that helps! Let me know how your trip goes, would love to know!

Back
Top Bottom