Thumbing the dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are all these people thumbing the dive before they even get wet?

ai.php

While we're on the subject, what exactly is "a Discover SCUBA Diving days"? Maybe we should ask a PADIs.

:D

ai.php

While we're on the subject, what exactly is "a Discover SCUBA Diving days"? Maybe we should ask a PADIs.

:D

We should also ask the person who designed it why they laid the text out in a way that effectively says...

SCUBA DIVING DAYS

instead of

DISCOVER SCUBA DIVING

The former would be less likely to grab the attention of someone in the target audience, someone who is NOT YET a scuba diver ("They aren't talking to me... I don't dive") while the latter - by including the world "Discover" as part of the most prominent text would be more clear to them.

Beyond the differences in emphasis, I always wonder why many designers feel the need to make any/all text in an ad look like a ransom note by changing font sizes, styles, and sizes.

ransom_note.jpg

It looks like hell, is harder to read, and - as can be seen above - can effectively change the message that the reader takes away.

You guys are brilliant. With you helping them they are sure to become the #1 training agency in the world. Wait a minute... they already are! I guess when you produce the results they have, we'll listen a bit closer.

Realistically, I can't tell you how many times I am told how I am doing ScubaBoard "all wrong". Show me how it's done right and we'll see the proof by how many users you get! Armchair quarterbacks often talk a great game... yet with no results. It's not that I don't listen to everyone... we evolve as we go... but to question the marketing effectiveness of the training agency who certifies the most divers is silly.

You ... but to question the marketing effectiveness of the training agency who certifies the most divers is silly.

I read RJP's last post as a way to improve their Marketing....not saying it is ineffective. And I can say I agree with what he says. I found PADI's ad to be very annoying for the reasons he stated.......

No I am not an advertising executive but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

No I am not an advertising executive but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

On the other hand, I am an advertising executive. Accordingly, my "free advice" usually costs $450/hr.

:shocked2:

Pete - to suggest that the effectiveness of PADI's marketing efforts are beyond reproach is absurd, especially if that's just based on their size relative to other agencies. I've got Fortune 50 clients with ad budgets into the billions of dollars that still have no idea what they are doing. Even the ones that are best-in-class welcome constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement with open arms - even when they have to pay for it.

My offer for PADI - or any diving entity - that would like to work with my company (the second or third largest ad agency group in the world, depending on whether you look at Ad Age or Ad Week) to PM me stands.

We can get people to buy crappy cars with fancy names, drink overpriced sugar water, wear sneakers because of the logo, take drugs for conditions we made up, choose their breakfast cereal based on who's picture is on the box, etc, etc. I assure you... we can do a better job of getting more people to dive.

:cool2:

On the other hand, I am an advertising executive. Accordingly, my "free advice" usually costs $450/hr.

...We can get people to ...take drugs for conditions we made up....

Obviously you don't have an issue with the word ethical do you? :)

We thumbed our Fundies class due to conditions BEFORE we ever got wet just like in the photo. Of course PADI students were in the water getting worked. There is even a thread on here from an SSI student that day that refused to get back into the water due to poor conditions.

Pete - to suggest that the effectiveness of PADI's marketing efforts are beyond reproach is absurd,
Beyond reproach? I don't believe I said that. Effective? Perhaps someone could do better, but as yet: No one in the diving industry has.

How do you know what works in advertising (or forums)? You experiment. Some of your advertising will surely fail, but apparently not all of theirs does. You might be surprised at some of the gems you would have missed if you didn't just try something. It's easier to steer a moving vehicle than a stationary one.

For the record... most banners are lacking a lot of things. Some of them are just plum ugly and others lack a request. This one tells us to Find something, but it leaves off a simple "Click here!"

Obviously some ads are meant to brand and others are meant to sell. Most do a bit of both. The message should be SHORT, CLEAR and contain a request. The internet, and forums in particular are a brave new world for most businesses. Some get it, and others are still wishing we would go away.

The OP suggests that the "thumbs" are the problem with the ad, and I still disagree. For the non-diving US public, the message is clear. These peeps are having FUN and other than sex, that's what sells.

In addition: look at how much PLAY this ad is getting for them! Booyah! Like KISS's "Oily Bikini Lady" ad from a few years ago, this is generating interest in PADI. Well played. :D

Back
Top Bottom