Thumbing the dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strategically, the better question is why is PADI paying their on-line agency to run an ad for DSD's on ScubaBoard (based on image url) unless they have a desire to get someone like me to do a DSD after 400 dives.
Our best guesstimate is that %25 of our viewers are not divers. That's a boat load of people who are checking us out and who we would like to get certified. Users, such as yourself, represent less than %10 of our monthly viewers.

Also, potential divers have no idea what a thumbs up under water means, so it fits their target audience with a symbol that is universally good to most people: even divers! After all, we only use the sign under water and we fully understand it's intended meaning out of the water. Context is everything here... unless you want to poke fun at someone.

Our best guesstimate is that %25 of our viewers are not divers. That's a boat load of people who are checking us out and who we would like to get certified. Users, such as yourself, represent less than %10 of our monthly viewers.

Also, potential divers have no idea what a thumbs up under water means, so it fits their target audience with a symbol that is universally good to most people: even divers! After all, we only use the sign under water and we fully understand it's intended meaning out of the water. Context is everything here... unless you want to poke fun at someone.

I'm not looking to poke fun at PADI as "an agency"... I was poking fun of them as "a client."

:eyebrow:

I'll give you the targeting then, based on your visitor data. But as an advertising professional I'll stand by my assessment that choosing a photo such as the "thumbs up" is not a great idea. There's a million different ways to convey that those four people are having fun; no reason to choose the one photo of them that makes ZERO sense in the context of the actual product you are trying to sell. The fact that the audience lacks the basis for understanding that fact is immaterial - it's the advertiser's job to be smarter than the audience.

Plus, as a "global brand" the advertiser would want to avoid any possible confusion about hand gestures. (A genuine "watch out" on global campaigns.) In some places around the world the "thumbs up" gesture is considered as rude/obscene as the middle finger. In parts of Italy, Greece, and some Middle Eastern and Asian countries this gesture is noted for being a specific sexual insult - a hitchhiker in these parts would be well advised not to wave his thumb in the air expecting a ride or he may find himself under the wheels of a large truck.

Of course, what does a guy like me know about advertising?

:cool2:

Last edited:
Users, such as yourself, represent less than %10 of our monthly viewers.

I don't know NetDoc. While RPJ is recovering from hernia surgery he could very well skew his demographic significantly higher. That boy can type. :D

Last edited:
I don't know NetDoc. While RPJ is recovering from hernia surgery he was skew his demographic significantly higher. The boy can type. :D

Signed up for the "Discover Cyber Diving" program!

Four more weeks before I can lift anything heavier than 10lbs - ugh!

Hmmm...

Hmmm.jpg

Note to self: find out how much a Spare-Air weighs...

:cool2:

Last edited:
I wonder why they did not use an "OK" with is also rather universally recognized and is rarely confused with, "come here a-hole"?

Up yours with the thumb was quite offensive here and with the English with older folk in the 60s and 70s I think until the Fonz heeeeyyyed along. It is probably still offensive with some, depending on facial expression and the velocity and height of the the gesture.

4785820207_d0ffd0a59d_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom