This Weekend North of I-30 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John.... sounded like you guys had two good dives....I thought about you guys yesterday while visiting my son Mark(23) in the hospital....glad all went well,,,sorry you got those pesky cramps---I to get them on occassion--ouch! I hope on the next trek north I can join in...but as Frank probably told you my son had major open heart surg. this past Wed. and my world has been with him. He is doing just great all considered....and may be released to come home Mon. afternoon...we'll see. Well thanks for the trip report. :) Alan

Hey I'll go with Richerso's story. It sounds like a pretty good recap to me.
Before we left we tried to find somebody that could carry all our stuff down to the lake but we were told that is one of those jobs that "" nobody "" is willing to do. We even tried to rent some donkeys but being Cinco De Mayo weekend there were lots of festivals that required they're participation. When people heard what we wanted to use the animals for ( packing dive gear) we were reported to PETA and the SPCA.
A high speed persuit commenced and We barely managed to escaped North of the border into Oklahoma. Being wanted men we looked for cover in the only place we knew they would not look.... underwater ! :14:

With all the rain we were not expecting much of a dive :lightingz
After all the hot weather recently it was sorta chilly out.
It was overcast and 67F when we got there.
Even though the water has warmed up 10 degrees over the last 3 weeks on top it's still in the 50's down at 50 feet. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.
"Central Park" is sorta cool. It's like flying through the trees.
We also found what we later called "The Bobsled Run".
It's a 2 foot wide concrete side walk looking thing that goes from the top straight down down down down... to who knows where? It's part of some old water pumping control I'd never seen before at the surface. I bet there is a platform like the infamous Lake Murray Crab Trap down there where the Sirens live :gorgeous:

We could have used a bit of sunshine yesteday but I shivered and enjoyed it anyway.

I'll be up there at least one day during the memorial day weekend for sure.

Thanks for the reports John & Frank. Glad you guys had good dives. I am looking forward to some OK diving in my future. One of these days our schedules will align. I managed to get 3 dives in yesterday and 2 today at Stillhouse. I will post a report when I have a chance.

Alan, thanks for the report on Mark. Glad things are going well. I hope he gets to come home soon.

Willie

Alan, thoughts and prayers are with you and your son. Hope there is a speedy recovery and all is well.

Frank, did you go the the place I was telling you that I did my first Broken Bow dive at? From the first description I thought that's where it was. I made the mistake of descending outside of the cove to about 30 ft. Looked up and I had just missed getting snagged up in a tree, couldn't see it until I got below it and had light from above. Sounds like you had better vis. this time than I did when at that location.

Also thought about the burros before you put up your post. :D :D :D

If they've got a warrant out for you now for inchoate cruelty to animals :11:, I can help you with that.:wink:

sealskin98:
Frank, did you go the the place I was telling you that I did my first Broken Bow dive at? From the first description I thought that's where it was. I made the mistake of descending outside of the cove to about 30 ft. Looked up and I had just missed getting snagged up in a tree, couldn't see it until I got below it and had light from above. Sounds like you had better vis. this time than I did when at that location.

It was along the same wall but a couple of coves to the East of where you and I took the Sea-Doo over to. Remember we stopped one day and looked at the trail down but decided against it?? Well, same parking lot except take the 4 wheeler road. ** Piece of cake** 'Should have been a no brainer! It's a nice walk down. Two trips to carry our stuff down and just one trip on the way up with all of our gear/flag/bags/sunken treasure. 'Might ought to make it 2 trips up next time because the treasure Plus my "booty" was pretty heavy. :14:

Timeliner:
... sunken treasure.
Neither of you said anything about sunken treasure in your reports. Or did I just miss it. Was it enough to pay for the gas? :)

Willie

There's a four wheeler road now instead of just the trail, and don't have to climb over fallen trees?

Gotta see this, no burros.

O.K., how heavy can sunglasses be?

What'd you find this time?

wet-willie:
Neither of you said anything about sunken treasure in your reports. Or did I just miss it. Was it enough to pay for the gas? :)

Willie

Loose lips sink ships Willie :wink:

I did find a curious item... Fossil oriented...
Laura and I hunt for and collect Dinosaur bones which is why we got into scuba in the first place. We find them on land but have had little luck underwater so far.
This piece looks to be a trace fossil of a 3 1/2 inch long tooth. It would be an unusual find for that area. Not impossible, just unusual.

Kinda thought that was what you were talking about.

We need to go down to the Sulphur River sometime and do some scouting.

When can I come by and see the tooth rock?

Timeliner:
I did find a curious item ... Fossil oriented ... looks to be a trace fossil of a 3 1/2 inch long tooth.
Very cool. Post a picture when you get a chance.

Willie

Back
Top Bottom