Trip Report Key Largo, Feb 2021 Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edoralive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
February 6-11, 2021.

By virtue of working at a Children's Hospital, I was able to secure both of my COVID doses, and celebrated with a trip to Key Largo for four days of diving with Rainbow Reef, where I completed my AOW and Nitrox cards. 11 dives over four days, which included all the wrecks in the neighborhood, swimthroughs and a night dive.

I'm a new diver, having logged just six dives prior to this trip. I'd been going back and forth on whether to just "fun dive" or tackle the AOW, and I'm super glad I did that AND the Nitrox card. The AOW was super fun, and while we worked on all the relevant skills, the diving felt far more tilted toward adventure than it did toward skill drills.

Outfit: Rainbow Reef

Rainbow Reef is a verrry large operator, and allegedly the largest or one of the largest instructor development pipelines in the world. Lots of boats, huge staff. In general, the boat crew were outstanding. Safety-minded, and playful. We had maybe 20 folks aboard for most of the trips, split between crew and divers, although there is certainly space for a lot more, so I imagine it gets quite cattle-car-y in more travel-friendly times.

Shore crew were a little more challenging. Check-in staff always seemed a bit bothered and overwhelmed with the task at hand.

Diving

Day 1:

Morning: Molasses Reef (North Star and Eagle Ray Alley) - lovely shallower dives with strong coral. Nothing too exciting to report here, except a reef shark immediately after descending and a friendly ray halfway through, but a nice introduction to the local area. I found myself wishing for death, as it was my first boat trip... and my first experience with sea sickness. Totally brutal. I skipped the afternoon dives.

Day 2:

Morning: Spiegel Grove and Benwood

Spiegel Grove was both my first wreck dive and my first deep dive. We were able to crack 100' briefly, and spent the rest of the time blowing my mind swimming around the outside of the structure. Pretty damn rad first wreck experience. Saw what I think is a bullshark off the line on the way down.

Benwood was solid - briefly saw a turtle disappear into the shadows. It was fun to see the difference between the two structures, but the Spiegel Grove has a special place for me now.

Afternoon: City of Washington and Mike's Wreck

Mike's Wreck is a wreck - not a lot to see there, sort of a mysterious origin, but cool to see the wreck amid the coral. Our guide for this trip was maybe new to this site, as he had to surface a few times to get a bead on the boat. My buddy for this dip wasn't great... lots of nice gear, but really bizarre swimming style. Dude seemed to propel himself more with his arms than his fins.

City of Washington is an old wreck - 1800s vintage, and as such there's not a whole lot left, but it's got a cool old vibe to it, and again it's surrounded by reef, which provides some cool environmental juxtaposition. Got to see a puffer here, which are my favorite, and another turtle wandering around.

Day 3:

Morning: Spiegel Grove double dip, with swimthroughs galore. My instructor and I had a blast on the SG the day before, and I'd asked about doing some swimthroughs, so I hired him as a private guide and we did just that - light swimthroughs which was SUPER COOL. Found a few goliath grouper under the helicopter pad and some huge pompano, and once again piles of barracuda. Also swam with a bull shark for a bit around the pad. Apparently there was a moray in the wreck with us, but I was so focused on not bouncing off the walls I missed it.

Night: A trip to the Benwood as the sun set, and my first night dive. Wow. I had been promised turtles, and we saw one hanging out under the bow pretty quickly. Mission accomplished, I thought. Except then we saw another, and another and finally had counted 14 sightings before the night was over. Wild. Saw some slipper lobster, which my instructor Eddie was SUPER JAZZED about, and a huge urchin, which are fun for me, as well as some crab who could have done well to take a shower. They were pretty muddy. Phosphorescence when we stashed out lights was wicked cool, too.

Day 4:

Morning: Bibb and Duane

Both deep dives. I had been encouraged to go air on this dive, as the majority of the Bibb is below 111', but in hindsight I wish I'd gone nitrox, as my computer really played it conservative and I spent most of my time so far above the wreck I may as well have been swimming in open ocean. The Bibb is on its side, which Eddie particularly loves. I'm sure it was cool, but I didn't get close enough. ALLEGEDLY there was a hammerhead right under the wreck line on return, but I totally missed it. A few bull shark in the distance, though.

Duane was cool - I appreciate CG history, and this boat I'm told was a real pain in the rear in terms of maintenance. This wreck has a crow's nest, which is sort of a fun feature. Lots and lots of barracuda, and a few bull shark swimming around. The structure is a bit higher than the Duane, so air was actually a fine choice on this dive.

Conditions:

The week's weather was excellent. A bit choppy on day one, but the rest of the days it was gentle and the skies were clear. The strongest current was on the Benwood at night, and visibility was great compared to my check out dives in Lake Superior. Lowest water temp I recorded was 70 at 108', but the spread was from 74 at the surface to 70. Not bad.

Conclusion:

While I don't know if I'll end up back at Key Largo, it was a great place to spend the week learning some skills and exploring some wrecks. Rainbow Reef were great the whole week, for the most part, and Eddie is an outstanding instructor. I was warned February can be iffy for conditions and weather, but the stars aligned and everything was about as great as it could have been.

Edited to add: there was an alleged sighting of a great white on the Spiegel Grove the day we were on the Bibb/Duane.

I don't understand the benefits of air over Nitrox on either the Duane or the Bibb, at those depths Nitrox will be a huge advantage when it comes to bottom times and/or shorter surface intervals.

Just use a lower blend.32% is good to within 1 foot of recreational limits but set your computer to PO2 1.6 so the alarms won't bother you or the other divers in the water.

I don't understand the benefits of air over Nitrox on either the Duane or the Bibb, at those depths Nitrox will be a huge advantage when it comes to bottom times and/or shorter surface intervals.

Just use a lower blend.32% is good to within 1 foot of recreational limits but set your computer to PO2 1.6 so the alarms won't bother you or the other divers in the water.

Totally agree, and everyone else on the dive was on nitrox.

If I were to do it again, I'd ask for a different blend. To make matters worse, the Bibb was our first dive, and after the surface interval we dove the Duane, which was great.... except the other guy who was on air blew through his gas and was playing it quite conservatively following the Bibb, so the guide buddied me up with him and sent us up, even though I had plenty of NDL space left. Bummer.

While I don't know if I'll end up back at Key Largo, it was a great place to spend the week learning some skills and exploring some wrecks.

Glad you had a good time! Key Largo offers a nice diversity of diving - shallow reefs, deep wrecks, quite fishy in places (e.g.: Snapper Ledge) when I was there in 2013, some sharks, topside access to a range of attractions (e.g.: depending on how far you care to drive, Jungle Island, Miami Zoo, Lion Country Safari), and all in the U.S. so the laws, currency, etc..., are a known thing for U.S. citizens and no passport required.

Now, when I was there...the viz. wasn't on par with the Caymans or Cozumel, and you can find lusher reef...but on the whole, Key Largo rocks. I've love to get back sometime; I've spend the years since hitting places I hadn't been before, re-visiting Bonaire, a mix of trying new things and the dreaded 'fear of missing out.'

But Key Largo rocks, and I hope to go back. The one thing that'd impact it as a family destination for my little crew...it wasn't a big sandy beach place.

Glad you had a good time! Key Largo offers a nice diversity of diving - shallow reefs, deep wrecks, quite fishy in places (e.g.: Snapper Ledge) when I was there in 2013, some sharks, topside access to a range of attractions (e.g.: depending on how far you care to drive, Jungle Island, Miami Zoo, Lion Country Safari), and all in the U.S. so the laws, currency, etc..., are a known thing for U.S. citizens and no passport required.

Now, when I was there...the viz. wasn't on par with the Caymans or Cozumel, and you can find lusher reef...but on the whole, Key Largo rocks. I've love to get back sometime; I've spend the years since hitting places I hadn't been before, re-visiting Bonaire, a mix of trying new things and the dreaded 'fear of missing out.'

But Key Largo rocks, and I hope to go back. The one thing that'd impact it as a family destination for my little crew...it wasn't a big sandy beach place.

Agreed on the solid topside options. I did make it down to Key West, which is about 2 hours from Key Largo, on one day after the dives, and wasn't disappointed. The lack of beaches and kid-friendlier things topside would deter me from taking the family on a return trip.

I'm no good at estimating visibility, but it seemed pretty solid to me while we were there - that said I've only been to Vieques, Key Largo and a few lakes in Wisconsin, so my sample size is small. We're heading to Aruba in April, so I'll be excited to compare.

I really dug the diversity of diving. Not having done wrecks prior, I sort of fell in love with that aspect of diving, and frankly hadn't even considered them as an interest prior to Key Largo. For someone who wants to get a wide range of experience, it's not a bad place to spend a week!

I'm no good at estimating visibility, but it seemed pretty solid to me while we were there - that said I've only been to Vieques, Key Largo and a few lakes in Wisconsin, so my sample size is small. We're heading to Aruba in April, so I'll be excited to compare.

I'm not good at it either, but I do it anyway...:coffee: Viz. can vary over the course of a dive, site-to-site, vertical vs. horizontal, day to day, etc... It's supposed to be the distance at which you could recognize another diver as such, IIRC. My rough impressions go something like this...

1.) Key Largo (1 trip, 20 dives) - around 50 foot viz. Beyond that it's hazy, not unlike driving on a morning with some moderate fog. Fine for general diving, and what I call good viz.

2.) Bonaire (9 trips, > 150 dives) - variable but maybe 75 feet up to 100 feet?

3.) Cozumel (1 main trip, 1 cruise shop) seems to have a rep. for high viz., as do the Cayman Islands (ditto). Maybe 75 - 100 feet, tending toward the better viz.?

So in a nutshell, Key Largo beats a quarry, but isn't on par with those others for viz. But I saw more big fish vs. Bonaire (I've never seen a shark in Bonaire), don't have to deal with drift diving currents as in Cozumel (which doesn't have the big wrecks), and the Caymans...well, the Caymans rock, and Grand Cayman has 7-Mile Beach, so that's another discussion.

I'll be interested to see your next destination trip report, and how you think it compares to Key Largo.

Glad the stars aligned and that you had an enjoyable trip for the most part. Thank you for the trip report.

As a new diver learning how your body reacts to sea conditions and how to best handle sea sickness can be challenging. Most of us have learned from unpleasant experiences like yours. In time you will learn what your body can handle and when you need to turn to some form of preventative medication. Everyone is different and seems to use different treatments. For me meclizine (Dramamine II) works wonders and doesn't cause me to be drowsy. Others find other treatments work better. Some lucky ones never need anything. It's something you just learn from experience.

Wouldn’t setting your PO2 affect the MOD and bottom time as well? I use nitrox, and change the mix in my computer, but I don’t change the PO2. ( trying to learn is why I’m asking)

Wouldn’t setting your PO2 affect the MOD and bottom time as well? I use nitrox, and change the mix in my computer, but I don’t change the PO2. ( trying to learn is why I’m asking)

On my computer, changing PO2 changes the MOD but not the NDL. The NDL at 110 ft is 18 minutes for both 1.4 and 1.6.

1.6 though will increase the MOD to 133 ft.

But I’m new too, so perhaps someone wiser can weigh in.

Glad the stars aligned and that you had an enjoyable trip for the most part. Thank you for the trip report.

As a new diver learning how your body reacts to sea conditions and how to best handle sea sickness can be challenging. Most of us have learned from unpleasant experiences like yours. In time you will learn what your body can handle and when you need to turn to some form of preventative medication. Everyone is different and seems to use different treatments. For me meclizine (Dramamine II) works wonders and doesn't cause me to be drowsy. Others find other treatments work better. Some lucky ones never need anything. It's something you just learn from experience.

For me, the bonine did the trick - two tabs at night and one in the morning and I was good to go, but after the first day the seas were also more gentle. I did fine on the ride out, but as soon as the boat stopped, it was game over.

I saw a few divers with the behind-the-ear patch, but for now the bonine seems to do the trick.

Felt like an “expensive” lesson to learn, but I won’t forget it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom