This Weekend North of I-30 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner:
You Gals are so Classy :D

Anybody for a little wine in the box? Timeliner is choosing Lake Murray over time spent in the presence of pure class. Unbelievable. :05:

okay... is CSSP a rainout for today? We had a big storm here, looks like it could again, any minute. Aint skeert of a little water, but AM skeert of electricity! What's the word?

Foo:
okay... is CSSP a rainout for today? We had a big storm here, looks like it could again, any minute. Aint skeert of a little water, but AM skeert of electricity! What's the word?

Well, personally I decided to put off diving til tommorrow. Hopefully the weather will be a little better.
Lots of thunder and a pretty good rain here at the moment, at least it held out long enough for me to get the lawn mowed!

We've never been to CSSP the day of or the day after it rains. How badly does the run-off effect the viz? I know it's spring fed, but the rain must hurt the viz pretty bad. Our plan is to go tomorrow if the replies are generally positive.

Frank, how was Broken Bow lake today? Give us a report since most of us stayed home because of the weather.

mardigrastexan:
We've never been to CSSP the day of or the day after it rains. How badly does the run-off effect the viz? I know it's spring fed, but the rain must hurt the viz pretty bad. Our plan is to go tomorrow if the replies are generally positive.

Generally in my experience it doesn't effect the vis too much. Some, but not really enough to notice a big change. In years past, there was some washdown of silt from the gravel, but that shouldn't be a factor now. Students and bad divers are more the cause than any rain.

My gear is loaded up and I'll be out there pretty early in the morn.
If ya'll make it, look for my red Tahoe 2-door and maybe we could buddy up, I'll probably be on the north end of the pond.

TruckDiver:
Well, personally I decided to put off diving til tommorrow. Hopefully the weather will be a little better.
Lots of thunder and a pretty good rain here at the moment, at least it held out long enough for me to get the lawn mowed!

Yah, it's too far a drive for us, to take a chance on being rained out. We did family stuff today, instead. Hope we can get to CSSP tomorrow, so don't be surprised if you see me. Will look for you! Anyone else diving Sunday?

Frank and John,,, hope your trip was fun!!!!!

I was going to defer to Frank, but since he hasn't posted yet. Frank is a much better storyteller. I drove over to Paris and from there Frank drove us up to Broken Bow Lake. We found a little cove by one of the overlooks on the lake (Frank actually knew about it).

First dive was at about 12:30pm. Frank wore his usual multi-wetsuit set up. I wore my 5 mil wetsuit. Water temp was 66 F at the surface and 51 F at 52 ft. There seemed to be more than one thermocline but the one to remember is at 30 ft. Temperature moves from 66F to 59F. Brrrrrrrr ! ! !! ! That was cold! Way too cold for just a little old wet suit; but what can you do?

On our first dive, we took off and generally followed the coast line as it moved off to the SW. We followed the coast line SW for about 18 minutes before turning around to return to the dive flag. This was an interesting dive. During the dive, depending on our location the conditions changed. We had 15 ft of visibility in some spots and yet in others we only had about 6 ft of viz. Portions of the dive were fairly simple with no remarkable features. Portions of the dive were reminescent of the classic wall dive. There were all kinds of cool rocks and just stuff to look at it.

At one point, an underwater tree blocked my path so I turned out to open water to swim around it. Well, there was more than one tree. This was a whole grove of trees that I started negotiating. Somewhere in there I got disoriented and we swam around for a while. After I admitted to Frank that I was lost, he promptly turned in the direction of the shore and we swam in that direction for about 30 seconds. Bam! There was the wall again. Frank later referred to this minor excursion as the "Walk in the Park".

We got back to the dive flag with some air left in the tanks so we puttered around in the shallow area of the cove looking at the schooling fishes. The 66F water up there felt really warm compared to the temp below. Dive time 44 minutes.

Dive #2: For the first dive, we followed the coast to the SW; so what is the natural selection for the second dive? We followed the coast line to the NE.

For this dive, I report the same thermocline/temperature profiles, and same viz variations. For most of this dive I stayed at 29-30ft sitting just above the thermocline. At one point I did dip to 44 ft briefly but I decided it wasn't worth and quickly returned to 30. Frank consistently stayed about 4-5 below me.

This dive had some rock wall formations; but for the most part I think I like the first dive better. That's not to say won't do this dive again later in the year. I did only hang at 30 ft so who knows what's deeper?

This dive turned out to be a 44 minutes dive for me also. On my way out of this dive, we were hovering at 18 ft waiting on the ole' 3 minute SS. We signalled to go up and I started rising toward the surface. At that exact instant, I got a really severe cramp in my left calf muscle. Wow! Did that hurt like #$%!. About five seconds later, I got a cramp in my right calf muscle! What the #$!#$?? Crap! That was an interesting few minutes on the surface as I worked out both cramps.

As we hit the surface, we returned exactly to the spot to climb out of the water but we missed the dive flag by about 100 ft or so. While I was working on my muscle rehab treatment, Frank did a swim over to capture the flag. My dive time was again 44 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom