Things to do in Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are million things to do in Singapore, and 3 days will not be enough to do everything. Highlights for me: night safari at the zoo, Santosa island and the extraordinary underwater world and butterfly + insects museum, very interesting modern Art museum, Little India, and of course shopping till you choke!
To make things real easy, there is a desk at the arrival in Shangi Airport, where very nice and competent staff will tell you everything you can do, from what you like.
Enjoy yourself, and do not spend too much!!

They've lifted the embargo on chewing gum, so you're OK there.
And after doing what Nuts mentioned, you're pretty much out of things to do in Sing, so take a ferry across to Indonesia or bus across to Malaysia instead.

froop:
And after doing what Nuts mentioned, you're pretty much out of things to do in Sing, so take a ferry across to Indonesia or bus across to Malaysia instead.
I've heard you still need a medical prescription to chew there.

froop:
As of last month we still got the imigration slip that listed the fine for chewing gum import in red letters.

It is the cleanest city I've been to, though. A very fine city...

And yes, the shopping is worth a whole day to experience.

All the best, James

Ah, Singapore... my favorite big city by far. Clean and friendly, with the finest and most diverse restaurants anywhere.
The car parks used to be the most wonderful gustatory delight ever... but I hear those are now gone. Pity.
Don't miss the Raffles.
Everyone should at least see Bugis Street :)
Rick

Nuts Bubblefish:
There are million things to do in Singapore, and 3 days will not be enough to do everything. Highlights for me: night safari at the zoo, Santosa island and the extraordinary underwater world and butterfly + insects museum, very interesting modern Art museum, Little India, and of course shopping till you choke!
To make things real easy, there is a desk at the arrival in Shangi Airport, where very nice and competent staff will tell you everything you can do, from what you like.
Enjoy yourself, and do not spend too much!!

Well, the zoo and the night safari are really good. But Sentosa island is not so good in comparison, still worth going though. The butterfly+insect museum on sentosa is interesting, but the underwater world is not up to my expectation but still quite a good visit. They have some really good things to see from time to time. For example: the sea angles (My favorite in the uw world). I don't think I'll ever dive to see the sea angles in their natual habitats!

Welcome to Singapore. :)

There are a few things or places that are worth visiting. If you have the time, visit Little India, see the Night Safari (actually quite a romantic place), see the Merlion (a Singaporean symbol) at One Fullerton, visit the pubs and restaurants along Singapore River (Boat Quay and Clarke Quay)... and go dancing at Zouk. And if you do drop by Bugis, especially in the morning, walk across to Waterloo street to check out the Kuan Yin Thong Hood Cho temple (especially on a weekend or on the 1st/ 15th of the lunar month, you would see outside the temples, people selling flowers (for offering), fortune tellers, people asking for donations for various causes, etc etc).

Singapore has a large variety of cuisine here, some of which are uniquely Singaporean. Assuming you aren't vegetarian, try the Chili crabs, the Singapore Sling, durians (the best or worst fruit - you either love it or hate it), Kaya toast for breakfast (Kaya is a breadspread, mainly made with eggs. The local "coffeeshops" (nothing like the ones in Amsterdam) serve toasts with Kaya and butter), Hainanese Chicken Rice (a local favourite), Nonya kueh (pastries - When the local malay women married the Chinese immigrants in the 1800's, a new race was born - called Peranakan. The men are called the Babas, and the women are called the Nonyas. There are also Babas-nonyas in Malacca, W. Malaysia), etc.

Hope this helps... Enjoy your stay!

zoo, night safari, underwater world. Wear comfortable clothing, expect to sweat and just walk around Chinatown, Arab Street, Little India, Changi Village, Holland Village. Take a bumboat over to Pulau Ubin, rent a bike and get lost on the island. Bugis Street isn't quite the same as in the mid-80's and earlier - skip it. Finally, you can get nicortte gum or whatever it's called and you can bring in a reasonable amount "for personal consumption" - This means about 100 packs every trip for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom