Trip Report Lumbalumba Manado December 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
December - the weather was excellent. Yes, there was some rain and sometimes the vis was affected but not too much.

Diving Manado-side yielded some excellent diving with sightings including all the usual suspects from pegasus sea moths to nembrotha nudis, bobtail squid etc. Also eagle rays, and of course snakes. I have never seen so many crocodile fish (flat heads) before, and big too. Over at Bunaken the wall is still there (just in case there was any doubt). We filmed a convict blenny, sometimes called a convict goby. A very strange creature. Fortunately filmed because so rare and strange that it would be difficult to convince people of what was seen. Basically it looks like a black and white eel which isn't an eel. A bit like a ling. Actually it isn't a blenny or a goby but is in a genus of its own.

The trip across the bay which to me is part of the trip yielded dolphins, big pod of pilot whales and a very unexpected sail fish leaping out of the water alongside the boat. Those things are like huge silver torpedoes. Makes you wonder what was chasing it.

As always excellent dive service with ratio 1 guide to 2 divers. Experienced guides who are interested in what you would like to see. Lunch (and toilet) on the boat.

Resort gardens are spectacular, kicking back at the pool and looking at the view to Manado Tua. Or gazing at the view from your cottage patio. Cottages are well-appointed. We particularly like the drinking water dispenser, choice of air con or fan, hot water showers, safe, and even umbrellas for if it is raining on the way to the restaurant. Food is mix of Indonesian and European, freshly cooked, buffet with lots of delicious choices. The place is a haven. Everything is spotless, everything works, staff are friendly and helpful - all you have to do is work hard on chilling.

We took an overnight at Tangkoko - can be organised from Lumbalumba. Overnight meant that we could go for a dusk/night walk with a guide into the forest to see the tarsiers, bats and tarantulas and then come back to the homestay (Tarsier Lodge) to an excellent Indonesian supper. Rooms were clean and spacious with big bathrooms and their own little patio and chairs overlooking the river and forest. Cold water showers as expected. Then dawn walk to see the macacques, hornbills, kingfishers etc. It was worth taking the overnight because the walks could be longer and you could get to chat to the guides and the people at the lodge, relax and enjoy the experience.

Travelled with Singapore Airlines/Scoot via Singapore and also side trip to Java. Can recommend the Anara Airport Hotel at Jakarta airport. It is fairly new. Easy to find, efficient, comfortable rooms - they even had windows.

Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed reading it.
I'm heading over to that neck of the woods in a few months.
Originally we were going to be on a Singapore flight from the UK with less than 2 hour turnaround before the Sccot flight to Manado, but we extended our trip by a few days so we could do an overnight at Tangkoko. This also means we have 24 hours in Singapore.

How long was your entire trip?

Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed reading it.
I'm heading over to that neck of the woods in a few months.
Originally we were going to be on a Singapore flight from the UK with less than 2 hour turnaround before the Sccot flight to Manado, but we extended our trip by a few days so we could do an overnight at Tangkoko. This also means we have 24 hours in Singapore.

How long was your entire trip?
We were away for a month but that included touring round Java. If you are asking how much time at Lumbalumba then that would depend on what side trips you did. A day in the highlands with volcanic lakes, villages etc and the market at Tomohon is very much worth doing. Plus Tangkoko. Diving is varied from walls to sand/critter stuff so it is like at least two dive locations in one. Also there is a pool so you can have chill-out days.

Very nice.
I was asking about how long you were away for, as its such a long way from the UK!

We are staying on two different Islands, my diving will be around Bangka and Bunaken.

My partner is a teacher so she has a fixed date she has to come back for, I could potentially extend my trip.

So many great diving locations within easy reach of Manado: Lembeh, Raja Ampat etc.

Im trying to fiind ways to justify to myself why I should stay longer :)

Quick and easy to nip around the corner to Lembeh for absolute tops of muck diving. No need to go all the way to Raja Ampat. Some dive ops may pick you up from Bunaken and take you to Lembeh. Otherwise get picked up from the ferry to Manado. If you stay mainland side at Lembeh there is an easy side-trip to Tangkoko.

Yes - stay. Lembeh is trip of a lifetime stuff.

If you are interested in seeing birds of paradise and hornbills, Indah will give you some suggestions.

Quick and easy to nip around the corner to Lembeh for absolute tops of muck diving. No need to go all the way to Raja Ampat. Some dive ops may pick you up from Bunaken and take you to Lembeh. Otherwise get picked up from the ferry to Manado. If you stay mainland side at Lembeh there is an easy side-trip to Tangkoko.

If you are interested in seeing birds of paradise and hornbills, Indah will give you some suggestions.
I do not think that any Lembeh operator will pick you up from Bunaken Island. But they are all happy to arrange the transfer from one of the jetties in or near Manado.
The crossing by boat from Lembeh to Bitung (mainland) never takes more than 15 minutes. I mention this in case someone prefers to stay at one of the resorts which are situated at Lembeh Island.
The weather last December was an exception. Lumba Lumba used to close that time of the year because of the heavy waves at their shore. It is simply not the best time for any of the resorts near Manado.

Thanks for your replies and info. It helped me justify extending my trip.
I managed to change my return flight. So i'll get to check out diving in Lembeh as well as Bangka and Bunaken.

Divers Lodge was already booked up though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom