Things to do in Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awall54308:
I will be in Singapore next July for 3 days. I was wondering what are the "must do" or places to see?

Hi Aw,

If you want to be truely adverterous go to Johor Bahru in Malaysia. Thats across the strait in Malaysia. There are a few streets for shopping & a really good resturaunt called Hong Kong Restaurant. It's where the S'poreans go for the weekend to shop. You might find it interesting and the food at the HKR is really good. Just stear away from SharkFin soup or we might have to kill you....kidding but please do not eat that,. It's not a tourist spot per say but worth the trip to see what Malaysians live like. Oh and by the way, be sure to eat Padang....wonderful Sumatra/Indian type food available everywhere in Indo, Malay and S'pore.

Have fun, Deano2

Eat, eat and eat some more . . . best food EVER.

If Newton Circus is still there, you must check it out. Giant outdoor food court, terrific at night. I ate at my first Indian resturant in Singapore back in the early 90's, The Banana Leaf, home of the "Fish Head Supreme". I also enjoyed going over to the park and getting satay off the men who cook it on their little grill, only a few bucks. Don't eat at the hotel. Pound a couple Tiger beer. They taste better in Singapore!

There is one tradition left out of all of the previous posts. Buy a Singapore Sling (drink) at the Long Bar, in the Raffles Hotel. Even though the place has been remodeled, it is an interesting spot, filled with classy British colonial charm. Some people may consider it touristy but I think that you will like it.

Things worth buying? scuba gear for one. It's much cheaper than in the US, I believe. In fact, most things I have checked have been cheaper than the internet sites who say they are cheap.

Newton Circus is currently being "renovated" (probable translation: having its charm removed). It's been shoved off to a nearby car park for the moment but I have not eaten there since the previous version closed.

A Singapore Sling in the Raffles Long Bar IS touristy but you should do it anyway. It costs something like $25 and so many tourists pay that much that it helps keep the rooms at the hotel below $600. I appreciate that.

The mid-year sales are in June so I think you'd missed it. Some people go to Singapore to get electronic goods, cameras, scuba gears, summer clothes... However I think these, esp. electronics and cameras, are cheaper in the States.

Newton Circus is still around. Another place is the Lau Pa Sat (where you can try every kind of local food and even the not so local food) located in the middle of the commercial district.

If you planned to go to Johor Bahru (JB), avoid weekends; traffic is horrendous. Also watch out for your belongings, etc. It is a relatively less safe place compared to Singapore. The food, the culture, etc are pretty similar to Singapore. Prices in JB have somewhat escalated over the years and aren't very different from Singapore now. Having said that the food is still cheaper, and personally I think there are some great local dishes.

Oh, don't forget Bintan Island! While it is in Indonesia, it's about 1 hour boat ride away from Singapore. Crystal clear waters, and I heard of "some" diving.

Crystal clear waters in Bintan??? I'll have to go searching for that. I don't recall seeing that over there even in a glass of drinking water.

Sorry Q but have to dissagree. JB is totally different than Singapore. S'pore is a nice place but not anything like Malaysia. Close but not the same. It's worth a trip across the strait just to get away. I like S'pore but JB has a totally different feel and things to do are more limited but it's a very fun place non the less....and Padang -- Indian Muslim is easier to find !!

Deano2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom