Should I go to Lembeh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It’s a bit of an off the wall idea. My husband and I are going to be in the Maldives for ten days. We live in NY. Earlier this year we were in Raja Ampat which we loved, but the flight into Sorong nearly put me over the edge.
I came across Lembeh in my social media feed and see it’s a direct flight from Singapore (and Singapore is a direct flight fro MLE).
would you do it? We are getting a bit older and I am not sure how our luck will hold our health wise. My husband is 70 and a relatively new diver, so no muscle memory.
coming back, I could fly from either Bali or Singapore to NY.
Is there somewhere else you would consider thats not more than two flights from MLE (main airport in the Maldives)?
I am thinking of Wakatobe for 2025. Worst case, we can snorkel.

I would definitely do this, I personally preferred Lembeh to Raja Ampat. The flight from Singapore to Manado is very straightforward and from there it is an easy car journey to the resorts. When you are there the diving is super easy, I have been to Black Sands Dive Retreat twice and loved it there. None of us know how many more diving years we will have, so go for it !

You are aware that Lembeh is muck diving?
If so, its a great place to go.
As you said, easy flight from Singapore, followed by a 90 minute car journey and then a 10 or 15 minute boat ride (if you choose accommodation on the island across the channel).

If you are not super keen on muck or want a mix of muck. Then stay in Manado city. The shore dives are muck and a 30 minute boat ride towards Bunaken is beautiful walls and corals.

Singapore goes to Bali as well. Theres good diving there too and if I am not mistaken, primarily muck.

Wakatobi has wonderful density and diversity. Snorkelers and divers go on the same boats. We got a snorkel guide who ensured the boat (1 of 3) we were on was going to spots suitable for snorkeling. Well worth it plus he found fish and animals we might have missed. Go as soon as you can!

If you're at MDC take a taxi and a short boat ride to Bangka Island instead. World class corals and fish life.

Definitely one of the most easy places in Indonesia to go to. Our guests appreciate it very much that they have a private boat for themselves. In this way you make your own daily schedule without having to think about what other guests might prefer.

You are aware that Lembeh is muck diving?
If so, its a great place to go.
As you said, easy flight from Singapore, followed by a 90 minute car journey and then a 10 or 15 minute boat ride (if you choose accommodation on the island across the channel).

If you are not super keen on muck or want a mix of muck. Then stay in Manado city. The shore dives are muck and a 30 minute boat ride towards Bunaken is beautiful walls and corals.

Singapore goes to Bali as well. Theres good diving there too and if I am not mistaken, primarily muck.
I've just returned from my second stay at Lembeh Resort, the car journey from the airport in Manado to Bitung has been cut to around 60 minutes now that the highway is built and open.

For Bali you could consider diving around Nusa Lembongan or Nusa Penida, which is mainly reef and the chance to see Manta and Mola Mola, the latter at the right time of year.

I should add that diving in Lembeh is very sedate, many at Lembeh Resort when I was there were older divers who appreciated the easy diving, but you have to like muck diving.

No. Maximise your time in the Maldives. Do a LOB, then another. Or go land based as well. You could fly MLE to Fuvahmulah (airport code FVM) and dive a week or two there.

Go do an Indonesia centric trip another time.

Nearer home, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Socorro, Galapagos, Cocos, Malpelo, Bahamas, Cuba, ect.

Back
Top Bottom