Getting to Bali from the East Coast of the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear you. I had a lot of dread beforehand. But, being able to actually move my legs was a big help. I can't sleep on planes at all. I've tried, but it doesn't work. I ordered a whisky and they kept bringing them, but even then I was awake the whole time. I watched an 8-hour documentary series on Big Wave surfing in Nazare, Portugal (fascinating) and John Wick 4, which was almost 3 hours. I booked 2 nights at an awesome Bali hotel near the airport so that we could fully recover and adjust to the time difference, so I made up my sleep there.
Crazy that many Hawains and Californians criticised Nazare for years as an easy wave without even seeing it. It took a few years of GMac, a plumber from Devon called Cotty, and few irish guys and other Europeans to really put it on the map,

Singapore airlines are the way to go if going to Indo or Aus from Europe, with Emirates coming in just behind them

More importantly, CDG is infamous for losing luggage.
Do you think this is an airline or airport issue? In other words, have you had bad experiences with one particularly airline or multiple airlines going through CDG? Just Indonesian carriers or foreign (e.g. Singapore, EVA) as well? Connecting flights or single flights?

I hadn't heard this before about CDG so trying to see if there is a pattern and defend against it-other than carrying as much dive gear in carry-on as possible.

Get to JFK or EWR then fly to SIN (Singapore) direct. Hang out in Singapore, catchup on sleep, eat the good eats...See the cool sights. 2-3 days would be great. Continue to Bali from Singapore direct - lots of flight options from there and the prices are always competitive and good.

Strongly suggest you try to swing for Premium Economy on the flight to Singapore if you do it this way. Sometimes you can upgrade with cash into Business at the last minute (or if you have points/miles, you can use that) but at least in Premium Economy, it is bearable. I don't recommend in economy. I fly SFO to Singapore often and that is 16 hours so I know this route well......and to imagine something even longer.

Do you think this is an airline or airport issue?

I've been through CDG four times on Air France in the past 18 months, and it was a disaster every time.

The airport itself is also a mess right now, under construction. Signs to various gates and terminals are no longer valid, and you don't discover this until you get there and it ain't there. Long walks to get anywhere. There are few toilets, and when you do find one it's dirty and there's a line.

I have a friend in Switzerland who travels for business and he's had many problems going through CDG as well. don't know what airline he uses.

Get to JFK or EWR then fly to SIN (Singapore) direct.

Strongly suggest you try to swing for Premium Economy on the flight to Singapore if you do it this way. Sometimes you can upgrade with cash into Business at the last minute (or if you have points/miles, you can use that) but at least in Premium Economy, it is bearable. I don't recommend in economy. I fly SFO to Singapore often and that is 16 hours so I know this route well......and to imagine something even longer.
There is no economy class on Singapore Airlines JFK/EWR to SIN flights - they fly special Airbus A350 ULR’s with just Business and Premium Economy seating!

There is no economy class on Singapore Airlines JFK/EWR to SIN flights - they fly special Airbus A350 ULR’s with just Business and Premium Economy seating!
What a relief! They (Singapore Air, SQ) do 2 flights a day from SFO and one of the flights is using the ULR with just Premium Eco and Business, whereas the other one is the 3 class cabin with Econ as well.

I've been through CDG four times on Air France in the past 18 months, and it was a disaster every time.

The airport itself is also a mess right now, under construction. Signs to various gates and terminals are no longer valid, and you don't discover this until you get there and it ain't there. Long walks to get anywhere. There are few toilets, and when you do find one it's dirty and there's a line.
Well, I travel from and to CDG, that's my home airport, and always flying AirFrance.
I cannot find anymore any reference to what you wrote except for (some of) the toilets and carts that you can't find anywhere after the safety belt.
- Never ever had a luggage lost for the past 10 years. Never had any of my friends mentioning they lost any luggage in CDG : the only cases I had heard on a flight to/from CDG where luggage lost in SIngapore Changi -yes it happens!- and one of London airport, for which I had to help a friend who thought it was CDG's fault, not only it was not but they helped track it.).
- All construction works have been finished a while ago.

I would agree with you for Terminal 1 used for instance by the american airlines, but AirFrance is based at Terminal 2, while it is true that the arrival itinerary can be quite tedious with long walks and often a train to be taken from the terminal to get to the immigration (which can be comparable to HKG), CDG has vastly improved in the last 3-4 years.
FWIW and although it's the 3nd largest airport in europe after Heathrow and Istanbul, it has been voted best European airport by SkyTrax for the 2 last consecutive years.
Frankly, even though I agree it's way off being perfect (I especially find there is a big room for improvment on the airport staff attitude, I would sometimes slap the ones managing the queuing lines at the security belts ) I've seen less attractive airports than CDG T2E or F even though smaller

Well, I travel from and to CDG, that's my home airport, and always flying AirFrance.
I cannot find anymore any reference to what you wrote except for (some of) the toilets and carts that you can't find anywhere after the safety belt.
- Never ever had a luggage lost for the past 10 years. Never had any of my friends mentioning they lost any luggage in CDG : the only cases I had heard on a flight to/from CDG where luggage lost in SIngapore Changi -yes it happens!- and one of London airport, for which I had to help a friend who thought it was CDG's fault, not only it was not but they helped track it.).
- All construction works have been finished a while ago.

I would agree with you for Terminal 1 used for instance by the american airlines, but AirFrance is based at Terminal 2, while it is true that the arrival itinerary can be quite tedious with long walks and often a train to be taken from the terminal to get to the immigration (which can be comparable to HKG), CDG has vastly improved in the last 3-4 years.
FWIW and although it's the 3nd largest airport in europe after Heathrow and Istanbul, it has been voted best European airport by SkyTrax for the 2 last consecutive years.
Frankly, even though I agree it's way off being perfect (I especially find there is a big room for improvment on the airport staff attitude, I would sometimes slap the ones managing the queuing lines at the security belts ) I've seen less attractive airports than CDG T2E or F even though smaller

Lots of nightmare stories:

And seems CDG makes alot of worst airport lists:
Report Reveals the 10 Worst European Airports to Fly From | GTP Headlines

30 Worst Airports in the World, Ranked

The most stressful airports in Europe - TTR Weekly

https://www.cheapair.com/blog/unveiling-the-worst-airports-in-the-world/

Oh ok, if it's on the net lists it must be truer than real life.
Why didn't I get my luggage stolen? Didn't they want it?
Puleeze... mister handler... steal my luggage...!

FWIW this is below a link to the "authority" that is closely followed in the airport industry, alike the Michelin guide for the restaurants, not the "Karen said" baitclick list that you may randomly find on the Internet.

I've traveled extensively though France numerous times, studied French in secondary school, and became minimally fluent in French during the years I traveled there. I studied diligently to learn the language. I was able to speak French directly without having to translate English-French in my head.

There's nothing more I enjoy at CGD, when airport staff is speaking to me in English, than to say
"I don't understand you. You must speak in English."

LOL.

And BTW, Heathrow sucks too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom